Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Combine two one ways to one PRN to avoid extra security check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA

It was cheaper to get a one way F award ATL-SAN, and a one way paid ticket FLL-ATL for an upcoming cruise. Will combining to a single PRN make me less likely to be selected for additional security, or will it still show as two one ways even if combined? I posted here since I'm on Delta.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I often by one ways and do not have any issues with security. Not sure if it is do to PM or history etc.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
THe last 10 or so trips I have travelled have been purchased as sets of one way tickets, no security indicator. I would just check in online and "reprint" the boarding pass at one of the airside kiosks. I have had trouble with staff not wanting to check luggage through on a second PNR though.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Night Owl
It was cheaper to get a one way F award ATL-SAN, and a one way paid ticket FLL-ATL for an upcoming cruise. Will combining to a single PRN make me less likely to be selected for additional security, or will it still show as two one ways even if combined? I posted here since I'm on Delta.
PNRs post-purchase can't be combined, only comments added.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:08 am

I buy mostly one ways, and can't remember the last time I was a selectee. It was maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly it isn't really that much of delay. Based on what I have heard from others, I would say it is max a couple mins delay.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
If you were flying one way internationally, then that would be a different story.

But like others have pointed out, I purchase one-way tickets for domestic travel whenever the fare isn't more expensive than the RT purchases and have never been a selectee.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Night Owl
CAPPS -- which used to select a lot of passengers on the basis of one-way ticket purchases -- is mostly just history now while (In)Secure Flight is in the driver seat about who is to be harassed and how they are to be harassed.

The biggest trouble I see with one-way tickets nowadays -- besides still often generally being more expensive than the cheapest roundtrip tickets -- involves international itineraries. Airlines -- rather than the TSA -- may then ask for proof of onward travel.

.... the above is presuming you don't get harassed by a nosy TSA BDO/SPOTter clown (since they sometimes do ask to see tickets).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.