Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

CRJ seats and Planeside Valet questions: SMI...looky here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch

I looked and did not see threads addressing these issues, though I am sure they exist... please accept my fullest apologies if these have been discussed here...

1) Rear end seat Cushions on 700s and down. Are they so thin due to weight issues? Am I the only one who thinks they are almost comical in thickness?

2) Bathroom maint on CRJ's. I can almost understand why people pee all over the floor in them due to the clown car-esque experience, but for the love of god and all that is sacred... do they only get cleaned once a week? Now that they are flying on 1:30 min flights I am forced to go in them and it is almost as bad as the bathroom in the B25 Crown Room at 8AM on a Monday.... Please, make them clean them...

3) Planeside Valet Bags in ATL.... now, we can use ramps instead of stairs on a good amount of CRJs.... in return, it takes 10 to 15 minutes for speedy and his buds to get the bags up the ramp... this has cost me some missed connections... and Delta, if you are reading.... when I miss connections.... I go to the Crown Room...drag in two MIL guys in BDUs.... and proceed to drink like it is my job.... how bout lighting a fire under their asses? I know they are not busy cleaning the heads....
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:40 pm

I am now flying CRJs at least 6 times per month. I agree with every comment of the OP. Plus, during the winter months in cold cities, the water in the galley freezes and they can't serve coffee.

These are horrible planes for 2+ hour flights!!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
In 4 years of constant flying on 737/57/67 I had to take a RJ this week. These planes are horrible and it was a two hour flight. No upgrade possiblities - just ruins all the fun. Sad DM here.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
My recent experiences with luggage on regional jet flights... the flight's that were not canceled:

1) Gate (valet) checked bag that did not make the same flight I was on. I left it in the specified location on the jetway at the front door of the aircraft, and DL could not get the bag reliably to the luggage compartment. Finally received it 9:00 am the next morning... after the bag (which came in on the next flight) sat in the airport all night long with no attempt made to deliver it to me.

2) Another flight... waiting on the jetway for the bags to be brought in. Ramp person (who apparently could not speak English) comes up, waves a pink tag and points towards the terminal. All of the gate checked bags had been sent into the luggage carousel. Thirty minutes later, I finally have my bag.

DL Management... is this your vision of customer service?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
1) is terrible. how on earth can that happen? they simply "forget?"

gate-check was my last resort when I fly another airline that is famous for losing bags. I realize that nothing is safe now.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
My recent experiences with luggage on regional jet flights... the flight's that were not canceled:

1) Gate (valet) checked bag that did not make the same flight I was on. I left it in the specified location on the jetway at the front door of the aircraft, and DL could not get the bag reliably to the luggage compartment. Finally received it 9:00 am the next morning... after the bag (which came in on the next flight) sat in the airport all night long with no attempt made to deliver it to me.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch

2) Another flight... waiting on the jetway for the bags to be brought in. Ramp person (who apparently could not speak English) comes up, waves a pink tag and points towards the terminal. All of the gate checked bags had been sent into the luggage carousel. Thirty minutes later, I finally have my bag.

Where was this? I have had plenty of stuff happen in ATL, but never the above...
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Where was this? I have had plenty of stuff happen in ATL, but never the above...
This was outbound from ATL to one of those unfortunate locations that DL feels only warrants regional carrier service.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM
Was that at your final destination or did they force you outside of security on a connecting flight? If it was the latter, I would be royally perturbed.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

This has never happened to me but this report makes me wonder if I need a new approach since I start with RJs then connect in ATL/MSP/DTW on my way outside USA and thus would be missing some critical stuff if the rollerboard went missing.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runninaway
Was that at your final destination or did they force you outside of security on a connecting flight? If it was the latter, I would be royally perturbed.
Fortunately (fortunately? ... can't believe I said that) it was my final destination.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:26 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I had a very pleasant and unexpected surprise a few days ago. Flying PIT/JFK on the way to Europe, E145 flight, I asked at the gate if there was anyone sitting next to me, so I could possibly scoot both of my carry-ons under the seat instead of gate-checking, since I had a slightly close connection. I was expecting a "NO - you MUST gate check one bag!" - He said yes - and gave me a new seat with nobody next to me! When I got on the plane, I discovered that it was a bulkhead!. I nicely explained the story to the FA, and I again expected a "NO"!! She offered to put my bag in the empty space in the galley where a cart was missing! VERY nice! Ends up that I fit them both (tightly) in the overhead, but the stories above make me cringe at the thought of gate checking, now!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:21 am
azj

At least in the PMNW hubs, the ramp staff now scan all valet bags that are boarded, so that they're tracked like all the other bags. It's VERY RARE that valet bags don't make the flight. You'd be surprised how many people on a daily basis seem to walk right by the nifty cart in the jetway (the one with everyone elses pick tagged bags) and just randomly put them places. It seems to be practice, at least in MSP and DTW for a ramper to walk up the jettway and look for any straggler bags.

As for cleaning... yes, all the DCI carriers need to improve cleaning, but only so much can be done with very short turn times. Unless you want to take a delay for a clean plane, that is. IMHO there is no excuse for a dirty plane leaving the hub. In an out station where turn times are generally 25-30 minutes there isn't a whole lot of time for a super scrub down. Crossed seatbelts, big garbage pickup, a quick vacuum and a lav restocking and spray is the bare minimum.

As the merger proceeds and DL continues to shuffle the fleet, the CRJ200/EMB145, the worst offenders will be relegated to shorter flights with times less than 2 hours I believe.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
and Delta, if you are reading.... when I miss connections.... I go to the Crown Room...drag in two MIL guys in BDUs.... and proceed to drink like it is my job....
I thought military in BDUs weren't allowed to drink... are they? For some reason I thought there was not a prohibition if they were traveling in uniforms.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
I gate check bags on RJ's about 50 times a year now. It used to be more like 75, but with the advent of the EMB170/175's my gate checking has been reduced. Only once has my bag not been brought up at all because the gate check tag was ripped off. I missed a connection from PWM to YYZ in PHL because I had to go to baggage claim to get my bag.

As someone who flies over half RJ's with Delta and probably 90% RJ's with US Air, I have several rules I live by.

1. Always make sure my gate check tag is attached well and in good condition. For about a year after I missed the connection in PHL because the tag was torn off I put two tags on my bag.

2. Because it can take 10 or 15 minutes from the time you pull up to the gate until you get your gate checked bag, you have to build extra time into connections. I've missed a few 40 minute DTW connections where the plane was only about 10 minutes late but the gate checked bag wait made the difference.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by azj
At least in the PMNW hubs, the ramp staff now scan all valet bags that are boarded, so that they're tracked like all the other bags. It's VERY RARE that valet bags don't make the flight. You'd be surprised how many people on a daily basis seem to walk right by the nifty cart in the jetway (the one with everyone elses pick tagged bags) and just randomly put them places. It seems to be practice, at least in MSP and DTW for a ramper to walk up the jettway and look for any straggler bags.
This practice was abandoned not even a week after it was implemented. The software was grouping the valet bags in to one big category with everything else in the bin which led to numerous delays with Pinnacle flights not having correct numbers. One thing that seems to be standard from the gate now is the pink tags have flight number / destination. The only need for this previously was dual destination Saab flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.