Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interesting observation by Time Magazine about Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold

In an article about baggage fees, Time Magazine wrote about Delta:

Delta, which was once the model of civility in this industry, has lately made noises about regaining some of that lost élan, but antagonizing your passengers doesn't seem like the way to do it.
http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...953324,00.html

That really struck me as true. Delta, not too long ago, was a model of civility in the industry. I'm not a Delta-basher by any means, but I do think it's unfortunate what has happened to many of the policies of the Delta of years past.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by AirlineDeregulation
I'm not a Delta-basher by any means, but I do think it's unfortunate what has happened to many of the policies of the Delta of years past.
You have but to look at your FT username to understand why.....

David
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It was not deregulation itself that cost DL its "civility". The turning point was the ill conceived purchase of Pan Am. Huge losses, followed by cutbacks, were the result. DL used to be my airline of choice for domestic service in the 80's, even though I had no status with them. But they became downright unpleasant after the early 90's.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
It was not deregulation itself that cost DL its "civility". The turning point was the ill conceived purchase of Pan Am. Huge losses, followed by cutbacks, were the result. DL used to be my airline of choice for domestic service in the 80's, even though I had no status with them. But they became downright unpleasant after the early 90's.
and NOW NW (MSP/DTW) union civility vs what use to be southern hospitalty
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
well, I would say, better increase the optional fee than the base fare.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by howto
well, I would say, better increase the optional fee than the base fare.
Have to agree. Most of us on FT do not pay these fees anyway...

Though I did just get stuck giving AA $40 for two bags on a vacation trip last week...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond
Can you say that Pan Am was not a victim of deregulation?

From the Pan Am Wiki:

"Since the 1930s, Juan Trippe coveted domestic routes for Pan Am, and throughout the late 1950s and early 1960s the airline attempted to merge with American Airlines, Eastern Airlines, and Trans World Airlines.[citation needed]The airline was repeatedly denied permission from the Civil Aeronautics Board to operate within the United States, and Pan Am remained as an American carrier operating international routes only. When the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 became law, it contained two clauses. "Clause A" allowed domestic carriers to begin operating on international routes while "Clause B" allowed Pan Am to operate domestically.[citation needed] Only "Clause A" was put into effect as the other airlines convinced Congress that Pan Am would monopolize all U.S. air routes, though the last time Pan Am was permitted to merge with another airline was in 1950 when Pan Am was permitted to purchase American Overseas Airlines from American Airlines.[citation needed] As a result, U.S. domestic airlines began competing with Pan Am internationally."
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I tend to think, the airlines as a whole have never made money. Eventually people will demand a profit or the business and employees go away. That stress has just been growing.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by buckwirth
Can you say that Pan Am was not a victim of deregulation?

From the Pan Am Wiki:

"Since the 1930s, Juan Trippe coveted domestic routes for Pan Am, and throughout the late 1950s and early 1960s the airline attempted to merge with American Airlines, Eastern Airlines, and Trans World Airlines.[citation needed]The airline was repeatedly denied permission from the Civil Aeronautics Board to operate within the United States, and Pan Am remained as an American carrier operating international routes only. When the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 became law, it contained two clauses. "Clause A" allowed domestic carriers to begin operating on international routes while "Clause B" allowed Pan Am to operate domestically.[citation needed] Only "Clause A" was put into effect as the other airlines convinced Congress that Pan Am would monopolize all U.S. air routes, though the last time Pan Am was permitted to merge with another airline was in 1950 when Pan Am was permitted to purchase American Overseas Airlines from American Airlines.[citation needed] As a result, U.S. domestic airlines began competing with Pan Am internationally."
This is not completely true. Pan Am was allowed to start domestic flights after the Airline Deregulation Act was passed in 1978. Pan Am's domestic network was really created by acquiring National Airlines in 1980. But Pan Am overpaid for National because they were in a bidding war with Frank Lorenzo for the airline.

Pan Am was a victim of airline deregulation, because it could never create a strong enough domestic network to feed its international flights, which were starting to struggle under increased competition.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:16 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Pan Am Domestic Flights

Pan Am was the survivor in a merger with National Airlines ("we fly coast to coast to coast") circa 1982. This actually made Pan Am a competitor with Delta and Eastern on a number of city pairs northeast to Florida and the gulf coast.

Pan Am and National had some nasty labor relations matters--I remember flying them DCA-PBI in 1983, on a 727, where we met Roger, who had been a captain on Pan Am, but, after the merger, was the flight engineer (that is, the 3rd man), with two ex-National guys in the front two seats. Roger ended up sitting in the back of coach talking to a friend (and to my wife and me), going back up to the front only when we got within 100 miles of PBI.

Later in the 1980s, when Frank Lorenzo had to give up the New York Air Shuttle when he was consolidating New York Air, People Express, Continental, the original Frontier and Eastern (I think Texas International was gone by then), Pan Am ended up with the NYA Shuttle, which is how DL ended up with it (after Eastern folded, US Scare ended up with what was once the Eastern Shuttle, then the Trump Shuttle)

When DL bought out Pan Am, they got the domestic system and Pan Am's TATL network except for London, which they had previously sold to United along with their TPAC network.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by buckwirth
Have to agree. Most of us on FT do not pay these fees anyway...

Though I did just get stuck giving AA $40 for two bags on a vacation trip last week...
I think it's irrelevant that I don't have to pay them. The simple fact they're willing to be the lead dog on the issue says volumes about their view of customer service.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by judolphin
I think it's irrelevant that I don't have to pay them. The simple fact they're willing to be the lead dog on the issue says volumes about their view of customer service.
+1

The feeling I get from Delta is more of the "we're the biggest now, so people HAVE to fly with us no matter what" attitude. The sad part is, in my case at least it's true as long as I want my commute to take 2.5 hours instead of 5 or 6.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:24 am

PAN AM

The constant resistance of the regulating agencies at the time prevented PANAM from establishing any meaningful domestic network to feed their International traffic and eventually resulted in the ill fated National acquisition. The U.S. Government was not willing to put it's support behind one or two National carriers as other countries did and at that time had opened International flights to everyone. While before PA and TW were about the only and dominant U.S. carriers serving Europe, all of a sudden one could see Eastern, Piedmont, TWA, Braniff, Continental, Western, National, Northwest, Air Florida, People Express as well as World Airways, Capital and Transamerica amongst others at the gates in LHR ( I can't remember AA, DL and UA were in the mix then ). This effectively cut off the lifeline to the airline which had its major operations concentrated at JFK. Combine this with an inept management team and disaster was imminent.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Moebius01
+1

The feeling I get from Delta is more of the "we're the biggest now, so people HAVE to fly with us no matter what" attitude.

Right on. I remember telling FA's, GA's back in the late 90's that DL was on a course to bankruptcy..."no way that could EVER happen to our Delta" was the average response.

BUT, Delta does have a plan: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...584/ex99-1.htm

Hopefully history will not repeat itself.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by N231LA
BUT, Delta does have a plan:

Hopefully history will not repeat itself.
Richard: Ed, I had a terrible nightmare, I looked out a window at ATL-Hartsfeld and I saw red-bellies, row after row of red-bellies, it was awful.

Ed: there,there, it was just a bad dream.

OR was it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.