Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Check in question for 4 segment same day MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:01 pm
mk1
Original Poster

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat

So I always end up doing my MR at the beginning of the year, and this year is no different than last. However I usually overnighted at the destination.

This year I'm considering spending two hours at LAX, then returning home. Will I have any check in issues? The way my itinerary reads on DL.com is four segments, DCA to DCA. Will I be able to print BP's for all segments or will I have to go to the counter?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Doing the same tomorrow, although with different cities.

DL metal? I think you have to check in again at LAX. A GA or SC agent can do it, or you can use a kiosk in the secure area.

NW metal? They used to let you check in for all four segments on a same day return.

Mixed (what I have)? You must check in again at LAX.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:14 pm
mk1
Original Poster

All DL metal, so guess I'll be getting the return boarding passes at LAX. Where are the kiosks post security?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by mk1
All DL metal, so guess I'll be getting the return boarding passes at LAX. Where are the kiosks post security?
Don't know about LAX, but the SCs have been installing them recently. If you're not a member, look around the gates, there probably is a bank of them somewhere.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:21 pm
mk1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Don't know about LAX, but the SCs have been installing them recently. If you're not a member, look around the gates, there probably is a bank of them somewhere.
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'm not an SC member, but hopefully I'll get the upgrade on the return through JFK and spend the quick layover there.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS First
At DTW & LGA, there are DL Help Me Centers, and you can print your boarding pass for your trip home. Keep in mind that on your return trip, the boarding pass can only be printed at the begining of the return trip.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS First
According to DL's site, a self help kiosk is located at LAX terminal 5 near the Delta Sky Club if you were planning to not leave the terminals.

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...os_angeles.jsp
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I've had issues with getting BPs for a return trip on MRs before. With that said, ANYTHING with your DL FF # barcode can be used as your BP.

You can use your Medallion card/key fob, old BP, DL AmEx card at the gate scanner. Have the agent scan it and the machine should spit out the slip with your seat ssignment.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:20 pm

If all else fails, just ask the GA for your return flight from LAX for the boarding pass. They might look at you funny...but they can easily take care of it and give you your return boarding passes.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Burj
If all else fails, just ask the GA for your return flight from LAX for the boarding pass. They might look at you funny...but they can easily take care of it and give you your return boarding passes.
i did this once on a tight turn, and the GA did in fact look at me funny. i told her that when i checked in that morning in PHL they couldnt issue all 4 BPs. She said "ok, where are you headed to?" When I said "well, back to PHL" she just kind of stopped and stared for a few seconds...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I've had issues with getting BPs for a return trip on MRs before. With that said, ANYTHING with your DL FF # barcode can be used as your BP.

You can use your Medallion card/key fob, old BP, DL AmEx card at the gate scanner. Have the agent scan it and the machine should spit out the slip with your seat ssignment.
But don't you have to actually check in first? I've tried to check in for segments 3&4 via gogo while on segment 2. Wasn't successful.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:53 pm

I did a CLT-CLT MR in december .. I did have to use a person to check me in because the kiosk and website both bombed. The lady looked at me funny and asked me why I wanted to go to LAS for 2 hours. I got all boarding passes for the first day in CLT and had to the boarding pass for the last leg in JFK as it was scheduled for the next morning. Good luck!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyTLe

Andy's advice (as usual) is very good. This is one of the most overlooked (and useful) features of the DL IT system - Anything with your SM# can be used as a BP.

I would argue that this should end up in the Skymiles FAQ and/or a Sticky somewhere in this forum.

TFD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.