Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Diamond upgrade priority already being quietly implemented?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

Hi Folks,

I have already qualified for DM for next year and the year after with the rollover. In the last several weeks, I have had three occasions (all JFK<-->SFO) where my upgrade cleared at the three-hour mark before the flight and my colleague (also a PM/MM and on an exact fare basis) did not clear.

This got me thinking - Is anyone seeing funny upgrade things like this being applied. Is Delta quietly implementing the DM upgrade policy early?

TFD
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Hi Folks,

I have already qualified for DM for next year and the year after with the rollover. In the last several weeks, I have had three occasions (all JFK<-->SFO) where my upgrade cleared at the three-hour mark before the flight and my colleague (also a PM/MM and on an exact fare basis) did not clear.

This got me thinking - Is anyone seeing funny upgrade things like this being applied. Is Delta quietly implementing the DM upgrade policy early?

TFD
Nope, I think it's just wishful thinking and you were just lucky. Similar things have happened to me as well, some I can explain, others that I can't.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Do you have a reserve card, by any chance?

Hi Folks,

TFD
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I Missed an Upgrade Despite Making DM

First time I've ever missed an upgrade on the BWI-SLC route. 737-800 with 16 seats in F last Wednesday afternoon. I was #8 on the list 90 minutes before departure; only 6 got upgrades at the gate.

I rather doubt that 7 DMs were ahead of me. I was on a T fare, so PMs on L and U fares beat me out. This was a situation where DL did not make any upgrade inventory available at the 5 day window, despite having at least 9 F seats open at the time.

Ended up having a pretty good coach experience (if there is such a thing); sat in an exit row with excellent leg room, and ate the $8.00 Asian Shrimp Salad, which was as good or better than any meal I've had in domestic F the past couple of years.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 9:46 pm

There is no DM

Why do people keep saying they are Diamond? There is no Diamond until Mid-2010. The truth is you were plat with the lowest fare class. Not only were U and L before you, but so were Y, B, M, H, Q and K. Not to mention any other elite with a Y-fare...
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tk08
Why do people keep saying they are Diamond? There is no Diamond until Mid-2010. The truth is you were plat with the lowest fare class. Not only were U and L before you, but so were Y, B, M, H, Q and K. Not to mention any other elite with a Y-fare...
DM starts on 3/1/2010
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by tk08
Why do people keep saying they are Diamond? There is no Diamond until Mid-2010.
Perhaps Diamond Elect? Sort of like President Elect, Editor at large, Dean Emeritus etc.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Do you have a reserve card, by any chance?
Nope
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
maybe check in time or ticket purchase time changed the priority
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
With all of the IT systems turmoil at the moment, I doubt they have tried to work on putting DM benefits in place so many months before the program starts.

Did you book your trip before your co-worker did?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
If you both have the same status, the exact same fare basis, then indeed, it comes down to these two factors, as well as time upgrade was requested.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
Originally Posted by NYBanker
If you both have the same status, the exact same fare basis, then indeed, it comes down to these two factors, as well as time upgrade was requested.
Sorry, but check in time has no effect on upgrade priority at DL. Time of ticketing also, technically, does not have an effect. Instead, time of upgrade request matters as the tie breaker after elite level and fare class have been exhausted (since the OP has already said they are not a reserve card holder). Time of upgrade request will generally be the same time as ticketing but may not in certain situations: PNR's are split, flights are changed and the ticket is re-issued, etc.

-RM
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

I believe that I have an existence proof....

Hi Folks,

I believe that I have an existence proof that DM upgrade benefits are being implemented early.

My weekly commute SFO-->JFK at 6:05 AM today (DL72) cleared into BE on a 752. The upgrade did not clear at the 5 day window but cleared yesterday morning at 6 AM. I was the only one that cleared. EF was showing C5 J5 D5 I0 until I cleared and after I cleared in showed C4 J4 D4 I4. When I arrived at the gate today it showed 4 seats available in Biz for upgrade. A colleague of mine was a PM (non-DM) on the EXACT SAME FARE BASIS (Q) and he was #3 on the list.

I believe that this is an existence proof that DM upgrades are being processed early.

But perhaps, I am just lucky.

Either way, it was yet another enjoyable transcon in BE this AM!

TFD

PS: As an aside, my return JFK-->SFO cleared into BE 6 days out, but perhaps this is normal PM processing since the flight is wide open in X.

Last edited by Task Force DL; Jan 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm Reason: I kant spel
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:19 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Hi Folks,

I believe that I have an existence proof that DM upgrade benefits are being implemented early.

My weekly commute SFO-->JFK at 6:05 AM today (DL72) cleared into BE on a 752. The upgrade did not clear at the 5 day window but cleared yesterday morning at 6 AM. I was the only one that cleared. EF was showing C5 J5 D5 I0 until I cleared and after I cleared in showed C4 J4 D4 I4. When I arrived at the gate today it showed 4 seats available in Biz for upgrade. A colleague of mine was a PM (non-DM) on the EXACT SAME FARE BASIS (Q) and he was #3 on the list.

I believe that this is an existence proof that DM upgrades are being processed early.

But perhaps, I am just lucky.

Either way, it was yet another enjoyable transcon in BE this AM!

TFD

PS: As an aside, my return JFK-->SFO cleared into BE 6 days out, but perhaps this is normal PM processing since the flight is wide open in X.
The two pople ahead of your companion could have purchased their tickets in the final 24 hours. If so, the tickets would alomst certainly book into a higher fare class than Q. They could have also changed flights during the final 24 hours.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:20 pm
jxb

Originally Posted by ND76
Ended up having a pretty good coach experience (if there is such a thing); sat in an exit row with excellent leg room, and ate the $8.00 Asian Shrimp Salad, which was as good or better than any meal I've had in domestic F the past couple of years.
+1 Asian Shrimp Salad - this item is the true gem of the Delta "Eats" menu. SkyMilesInsider, if you're listening, please do whatever you can to keep this on the menu.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.