Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After Dark In ATL......?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
+2... ATL is really crap for int'l arrivals. Huge passport lines, being treated like human feces by underpaid overstuffed queue nazis, and having to recheck a bag and reclear security just so you can ride a train to wait in baggage claim again??? Why on God's green earth didn't they make the T-gates the international concourse?

For int'l departures, ATL is rubbish too. I think the E concourse CRCs are grossly undersized and I don't care much for the CRC staff and amenities either. Give me DTW, MSP, SFO, even EWR (for departures anyway). I do like the long underground tunnel however, I usually walk to E concourse to get a little exercise before a long-haul. I will also give credit for the restaurant selection, but what do I want a restaurant for? I'll be fed in on the plane.

Domestically, I think ATL's okay if you can get past the surly staff, but .....y staff doesn't really set ATL apart from other US airports.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:44 am
Original Poster

They did originally make the T gates for International departures from when the airport opened in '78 until the E concourse opened prior to the Olympics in '96. T just didn't have enough gates, so they built E.

The bag recheck and security situation will improve in a couple years when the new International terminal opens. You can see it under construction east of the current terminal.

My point was the gazillion dollar terminal won't help much if Delta can't bother to find a ramper to wave in an idling 777, ATL can't turn on the heat at 6am in the winter, and CBP can only find THREE OR FOUR PEOPLE to work the passport line for multiple simultaneous widebody international arrivals.

I fear the only improvement in the new facility will just be more space for endless lines.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: DL DM or PM
Thank you...

...for letting me know I am not alone in thinking that having to go through security TO LEAVE the airport is really dumb. I cannot see any possible justification for not changing the process there
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by bassi1973
...for letting me know I am not alone in thinking that having to go through security TO LEAVE the airport is really dumb. I cannot see any possible justification for not changing the process there
How is it dumb? You are entering the sterile area again after having been in the customs area. You had access to your checked baggage in customs, you cant tote around your checked in the sterile area anyways. It's not ATL's fault, get mad at TSA.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM or PM
Originally Posted by Amazingracer
How is it dumb? You are entering the sterile area again after having been in the customs area. You had access to your checked baggage in customs, you cant tote around your checked in the sterile area anyways. It's not ATL's fault, get mad at TSA.
errr...why on earth can't they just get me out of the airport directly (after immigrations and customs) if I am flying directly from, say, Zurich to ATL and I plan to stay in Atlanta? This is the way it is in any other international airport I have seen.

I did not ask to be sent into the sterile area, sorry, just want to get to my brother's apartment downtown...
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:57 pm

For a while they had people with ATL as final destination get on buses at the re-check area (BEFORE THE SECURITY), who were then dropped off at Baggage Claim. I did this only once, but now I want it back..... I think this might have even been before 9/11... can't remember. At the time I thought it was a stupid waste of time, now I think it was more efficient.

Does anyone else remember this?

Also: if you check a bag, do you do the trick of ripping off the bag-tags and pretend that it was hand luggage, so you don't have to wait FOREVER at the main terminal for it to appear after your FOREVER flight?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:23 pm
jxb

Originally Posted by paulr
As for MEM, the only good thing about it is Corky's IMHO.
MEM Backyard Burger isn't bad either. Fast service and edible food - beats most airport fast-food places IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.