Wiki Posts
Search

Use of PMUs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Thumbs up Use of PMUs

Hi all- I am new to the forum and just made Platinum Medallion for 2010. (Did about 30,000 MQMs in last 2 months).

Anxious to get my hands on the systemwide upgrades (I think I've seen them referred to as PMUs??) At any rate, i was reading the FAQ about 2010 changes. It made mention of being able to use the systemwide upgrades on day of travel.. Does that mean you have to book and confirm coach seat on International flight, then wait to see if availability is there for BusinessElite. Or, can you confirm a BE seat in advance with these certificates (assuming you've booked in the proper coach fares). The coupons would seem far less valuable. Also, are they used per segment. Ex. RDU-JFK-LON.. would this require 2 coupons or 1?

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Welcome to flyertalk!

If you've purchased a Y/B/M fare (for international) and there is inventory in the appropriate upgrade fare bucket (Z for DL, U for NW), then you can confirm the upgrade ahead of time.

RDU-JFK-LON would require 1 PMU (and another for the return). I would assume there is some limit to the number of segments you can have and still use a PMU but I don't know what it is.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Another thing you might do is subscribe to expertflyer.com as many who frequent this website do. I've found it to be very helpful in determining Z availability. I think I'm one of the few that has been able to use all my PMUs.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
If you've purchased a Y/B/M fare (for international) and there is inventory in the appropriate upgrade fare bucket (Z for DL, U for NW), then you can confirm the upgrade ahead of time.
For NW TATL/TPAC upgrades, U is used for M and discount B (rare, IME) fares; there's another bucket for Y and full unrestricted B (like BEERT) fares, I believe Z class. These are the same buckets as are used for mileage upgrades.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by steelermedallion
Anxious to get my hands on the systemwide upgrades (I think I've seen them referred to as PMUs??)
I think you'll soon find that instead of a ^, the PMUs deserve a . Wait until you see the cost of the M+ fares required for their possible use... and then good luck trying to redeem a PMU. They can take a lot of time, patience, and luck.

PS, welcome to FT.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:00 am

PMU's are also usable on Domestic flights for Q & higher fares.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:04 am
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
PMU's are also usable on Domestic flights for Q & higher fares.
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skymi....jsp#whats_new

"Platinum Systemwide Upgrades ... good for travel within or between the 50 United States, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico on any Delta published fare booked in Y, B, M, H, Q or K class or Northwest published fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q or V class. For all other international travel, upgrades are valid on any published fare in Y, B or M class."
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
from Faq

So, interested to understand what's new for 2010? Were you not able to use on same day prior?

Here is the explanation from delta.com... looking for the interpretation from all of you experienced Medallions....

In addition to the existing ability for customers to request an upgrade in advance, the new Systemwide Upgrade Certificates will be valid for use on the day of departure. This means if a First or Business Class seat is available on your Delta flight on the day of departure you will be able to request the upgrade.
Platinum Medallions will be able to select 4 Systemwide Upgrade Certificates as a Choice Benefit. Diamond Medallions will be able to select 6 Systemwide Upgrade Certificates as a Choice Benefit.

As with the existing Platinum Systemwide Upgrades, the new Systemwide Upgrade Certificates will be good for travel within or between the 50 United States, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico on any Delta published fare booked in Y, B, M, H, Q or K class or Northwest published fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q or V class. For all other international travel, upgrades are valid on any published fare in Y, B or M class.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:22 am
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by steelermedallion
So, interested to understand what's new for 2010? Were you not able to use on same day prior? ...
Correct. Existing process says if they don't clear one day before, you're out of luck.

We don't have any real detail yet on how the day of departure upgrades will work, re:

"This means if a First or Business Class seat is available on your Delta flight on the day of departure you will be able to request the upgrade."

If that means any available seat, it may be an improvement, but most of us don't book an upgradeable fare unless we can confirm availability at the same time anyway.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Originally Posted by KLC
Correct. Existing process says if they don't clear one day before, you're out of luck.

We don't have any real detail yet on how the day of departure upgrades will work, re:

"This means if a First or Business Class seat is available on your Delta flight on the day of departure you will be able to request the upgrade."

If that means any available seat, it may be an improvement, but most of us don't book an upgradeable fare unless we can confirm availability at the same time anyway.
I wonder if the 2009 PMUs can be used for same-day upgrades once they implement the program.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
Another great use for PMUs are for wiping your backside when you've run out of TP. Thanks Delta. Coming from someone who flew 130k in LUT fares, these do nothing for me.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt a lowly Platinum now
If you want to get the upgrades for intercontinental flights, it's well worth the money to subcribe to expertflyer (I think $99 a year last time I renewed). With this I have no trouble on using the PMUs for upgrades to Asia with advance planning. You will still have to buy a M-class fare (around $2k for the cheapest cities in Asia), but at least you have 3 RTs per year (6 one-way certs).

The old NW Platinum certs were frankly much better (upgrade from any paid ticket basically), but it was only 2 one-ways or 1 RT per year.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:55 am

Is expertflyer worthy?

I always tried this free one:
http://www.flyaow.com/classamex.htm

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlies
If you want to get the upgrades for intercontinental flights, it's well worth the money to subcribe to expertflyer (I think $99 a year last time I renewed). With this I have no trouble on using the PMUs for upgrades to Asia with advance planning. You will still have to buy a M-class fare (around $2k for the cheapest cities in Asia), but at least you have 3 RTs per year (6 one-way certs).

The old NW Platinum certs were frankly much better (upgrade from any paid ticket basically), but it was only 2 one-ways or 1 RT per year.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by marcooo
Is expertflyer worthy?

I always tried this free one:
http://www.flyaow.com/classamex.htm
There's also calling delta sms and asking the agent about the Z availability for the dates you want to travel.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:17 am
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by emg2919
Another great use for PMUs .... these do nothing for me.
Then I imagine you'll be one of those choosing a different option going forward:

"Q. What are Choice Benefits?

A. Members will be able to choose from a variety of exclusive "Choice Benefits," when they earn Platinum or Diamond Medallion status, including new Systemwide Upgrade Certificates now usable on the day of departure, the ability to gift Medallion status, additional bonus miles, Delta Sky Club One-Day passes and other select options. Other benefits will be added by program launch.."

https://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skym...aqs.jsp#choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.