Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ ending partnership with Delta!!??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Announcement now up on Delta.com page for SkyMiles airline partners:
Originally Posted by Delta.com
Dear Customer,

Delta Air Lines and Singapore Airlines have mutually agreed to terminate their FFP programs relationship as a result of the realignment of the respective loyalty programs.

The announcement includes the following items.

Partnership will end on May 15, 2010. As a result, after this date, SkyMiles® members will be unable to:

Earn miles with the SkyMiles program for travel on Singapore Airlines
Redeem miles on Singapore Airlines
Customers may continue to book Award Tickets on Singapore flights thru May 15, 2010 for travel until May 14, 2011.
Singapore Airlines offers:24

Economy Class: Actual mileage flown
Business Class: 125% of mileage
First Class: 150% of mileage
Suites: 160% of mileage

No Medallion Qualification Miles on Singapore Airlines.
Glad we've got a heads-up. Looks like I'll be trying to redeem for award travel next Christmas or maybe Thanksgiving or Songkran. Got to get it while I can.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
That SQ stayed linked to DL as long as it did has always struck me as strange. As you look around, there are profoundly few situations for earn/redeem partnerships between airlines in different alliances.

Of course, JL is still in play and could become a part of ST, should DL's efforts pan out.

It's my guess on VS, that if it were to join any alliance, it'd be *A, given SQ's equity position, their existing ties to CO and their blood feud with BA.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Have you ever flown Icelandair?
Copa is tied to CO & *A
Mexicana is a member of Oneworld
Whats wrong with Icelandair? Surely I would rather fly them then Garuda or Tarom that are entering SkyTeam next year.

What about the rest then?

Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf, Malaysian, Virgin, TACA, Aerolineas Argentinas, Avianca, Philippines, Rossiya, Royal Air Maroc, Transaero, Tunisair, El Al, MEA, Air Baltic, Aerosvit, Air Astana... and lots of much smaller carriers...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:39 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
BUT...

You're about to get JAL (you lucky dogs) (-;
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No surprise.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I've been worried about this ever since rumors surfaced here last summer. I'm glad to see the redemption option is available until May. Fits my plans nicely.

I also am not at all surprised to see the partnership end. I never understood why it existed in the first place.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I had to frequent KEF, I'd love Icelandair, however considering the fact that the entire island of Iceland has less people than 10 city blocks of Jakarta, you can see where the future is.....

The Sq thing really meant little to me, just a way to make my wife and kids miles not be orphaned when we flew on them, that being said I liked the way that the "deep" relationship between SQ and DL had managed to last so many years, from a simpler time and the "excellence" days.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by asnovici
What about the rest then?

Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf, Malaysian, Virgin, TACA, Aerolineas Argentinas, Avianca, Philippines, Rossiya, Royal Air Maroc, Transaero, Tunisair, El Al, MEA, Air Baltic, Aerosvit, Air Astana... and lots of much smaller carriers...
EK - another VS; thinks itself too good to be in an alliance
QR - all signs point to *A (current FF partners are virtually all *A carriers)
EY - codeshares with AA currently; no indication of alliance tendencies; great quality/service
GF - a mess financially and easily in the worst condition of all the MidEast carriers; scaling back massively soon
MH - would be a great addition to SkyTeam but for some reason, not being courted by AF-KL
VS - thinks itself too good to be in an alliance
AR - a big mess
AV - links to DL and good SkyTeam possibility
AT - links to SkyTeam and sometimes rumored to be heading there
ME - links to SkyTeam (AF in particular) and sometimes rumored to be heading there
BT - *A partners

SkyTeam is driven by AF-KL more so than DL and AF-KL are somehow intent on reviving the old French/Dutch colonial empire - witness their preferred partners - VN (former French colony); GA (former Dutch colony); RO (strong French influence)
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by asnovici
Whats wrong with Icelandair? Surely I would rather fly them then Garuda or Tarom that are entering SkyTeam next year.
I've flown both Garuda and Icelandair. Safety aside, Garuda is actually pretty nice especially if you're up in the front.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
For example, Alaska Air has strong and close partnerships with both Delta and AA. Sooner or later it should make up it's mind and join one alliance, though honestly for it having it both ways likely makes more sense: more feeder traffic, more award choices for MileagePlus members, so likely for it to join ST or OW it'd need some sort of a compensation for lost traffic & revenues by severing the other ties (as JAL was offered to move from OW to ST).
Out of the two, they have closer ties with Delta (through NW) then AA. They currently give EQM when flying on these airlines:
Air France/KLM, American, Delta/Northwest, and LanChile

Two of which are OneWorld and two ST. However they are only doing a elite reciprocation agreement next year with one and that is Delta/Northwest.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
I've flown both Garuda and Icelandair. Safety aside, Garuda is actually pretty nice especially if you're up in the front.
I think Icelandair is pretty nice personally - better service/plane environment than many of the DL flights I've been on, to be honest (barring one trip I took to Reykjavik where I ended up with the worst seat in the plane . . . middle seat in the last row, next to the bathroom, non-reclining )

Haven't made it on Garuda yet though!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by yvandoorn
Out of the two, they have closer ties with Delta (through NW) then AA. They currently give EQM when flying on these airlines:
Air France/KLM, American, Delta/Northwest, and LanChile

Two of which are OneWorld and two ST. However they are only doing a elite reciprocation agreement next year with one and that is Delta/Northwest.
It seems to be closer with AA: when searching for any AS flight on alaskaair.com I often see 2 or 3 AS flights and then some 10 or 20 AA flight options. DL/NW is rarely shown as bookable on alaskaair.com, but AA is always there if there is an option to fly via AA. So, AS seems to be marketing AA more than DL/NW, at least thus far, but it could be subject to change. I know that AS has specifically had their schedules aligned with AA (and vice versa), but now also that is supposedly in the process of being done with DL.

Though as I said, right now AS has it best in having it both ways so it'd be hard pressed to join any alliance, as it functions best as a regional feeder to both DL and AA.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
It seems to be closer with AA: when searching for any AS flight on alaskaair.com I often see 2 or 3 AS flights and then some 10 or 20 AA flight options. DL/NW is rarely shown as bookable on alaskaair.com, but AA is always there if there is an option to fly via AA. So, AS seems to be marketing AA more than DL/NW, at least thus far, but it could be subject to change. I know that AS has specifically had their schedules aligned with AA (and vice versa), but now also that is supposedly in the process of being done with DL.
I don't think it is that cut and dry. It appears to depend upon the route. Punch in PDX-ATL, and you will see more DL flights. Go with PDX-DTW, and you get many NW flights. Type in PDX-JFK, though, and you see a lot of AA flights, but AA has a lot of transcon capacity.

Also, if you are doing a default search, it will be by price, so it could show all AA flights, if AA happens to be cheaper on a given route. Similarly, if you search by schedule, it will show whatever the best schedule. When your search options are price or schedule, I'm not sure there is that much room for AS to 'push' one airline or another, unless they aren't really delivering the results they say they are.

Last edited by pbarnette; Dec 11, 2009 at 1:21 am
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:25 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
True, just it'll (or at least wouldn't) sell some NW/DL flights, such as flights to HNL, but would sell the AA flights to HNL, so you'd get e.g. YVR-HNL, either YVR-SEA-HNL (AS) or YVR-LAX(AS)-HNL(AA) and such lots of AA options, but not really DL/NW. But very true, it depends on the route.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: DL SM, 9W Silver, UA, HHonors
Looks like I may have to end up shifting to Continental now! I'm a lowly Silver, but even still, Delta is losing partners left and right, most notably flying to the Asia destinations I typically travel to! Why does it seem like with this merger, Delta is losing all of its partners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.