Wiki Posts
Search

SQ ending partnership with Delta!!??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by skierpony
Looks like I may have to end up shifting to Continental now! I'm a lowly Silver, but even still, Delta is losing partners left and right, most notably flying to the Asia destinations I typically travel to! Why does it seem like with this merger, Delta is losing all of its partners?
I wouldn't say they are losing partners left and right. DL is losing SQ, yes, but they added Jet, Kingfisher, China Eastern, and Malaysia with the merger. They are strengthening the AS relationship. They added Midwest. They retain China Airlines as a partner. On the whole, I think DL has gained as much as it has lost with this merger.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You all do get the point that while DL and SQ only competed on one route globally over the last decade, they now compete on quite a few routes, right??
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:51 am

Maybe this was DL and not SQ.
Maybe DL was afraid of their customers using a superior product and than lossing the customer in the future. Now that DL has NW.

DL is no where near SQ when it comes to international service.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by hfly
You all do get the point that while DL and SQ only competed on one route globally over the last decade, they now compete on quite a few routes, right??
+1^

Business people. Just business (and I don't mean C).

And for those that think that CO is the place to be, CO just added US (oh, now that's a nice product!) and LH (where if you're not HON Circle...600,000 miles, you're not important). Woohoo!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"DL is no where near SQ when it comes to international service." Zman,. Try SQ to IST several times and then get back to me and let's see if you still share that opinion. SQ is great if you are on a marquis route, however they have 3 or 4 biz products, the last one is quite poor and competes with DL circa 1995, if that.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Sad news for me. Now what's the best way to redeem miles to Asia?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:23 pm
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
MEA was supposed to join ST, but not sure what happened there (probably the tenuous safety situation in Lebanon).
MEA's entrance into SkyTeam is being held up because of a dispute over their frequent flyer program. As they were invited to join as an associate sponsored by Air France, associate members are required to adopt the sponsoring carrier's frequent flyer program, in this case Flying Blue. However, MEA does not want to drop its own Cedar Miles program and join Flying Blue, so this is what's holding up the SkyTeam membership.

Despite this, MEA is doing very well and is expected to report a $100 million profit this year which is very impressive for an airline their size.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:32 pm
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Strange that SQ revised rewards as of Dec 2009.
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...elta_Dec09.pdf

" SQ is great if you are on a marquis route, however they have 3 or 4 biz products, the last one is quite poor and competes with DL circa 1995, if that.
Are you referring to the seat that is as wide as a house?

Last edited by g50; Dec 15, 2009 at 6:08 am Reason: Mistake that ffI pointed out. Thanks ffI
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:41 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by g50
Looks like all F is gone for DL reward as of Dec 2009.
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...elta_Dec09.pdf
That pdf file is for SQ flyers redeeming on DL
Delta Airlines
Round trip awards
One complimentary stopover for round-trip award. - One turnaround open-jaw is permitted per round-trip award itinerary. - No blackout dates apply - Seat availability may be capacity-controlled. - Travel must be via published route. Backtracking is not permitted. - If itinerary includes bookings in different classes of service, the award level corresponding to the highest class will apply. - To confirm the exact mileage required and make a booking, please contact KrisFlyer Membership Services. -Taxes, surcharges and fees are applicable in addition to the redemption mileage required.

Origin
Destination
(figures in thousands of KrisFlyer miles)
ECONOMY CLASS
BUSINESS CLASS
FIRST CLASS

Last edited by ffI; Dec 11, 2009 at 8:51 pm
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mallthus
+1^
LH (where if you're not HON Circle...600,000 miles, you're not important). Woohoo!
Im a SEN on LH and find I am treated quite well. Their SEN line is staffed in the U.S. by dedicated employees who are good. I met a few of the Sen (and HON) agents and they were all long-time LH employees who really were excited about what they did. My LH flying is mainly F on IC routes and C within Europe and absolutely no complaints. The LH FCT (for F pax) is "best in class" and their SEN lounges are certainly no worse than SCs although the ones in FRA can get crowded.

What's the basis for your statement?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:08 pm
Suspended

+1 CO probably found out the same time everybody else did since CO and SQ don't have ATI.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

adamak, perhaps on one of DL's many flights a day from many gateways to most important destinations in Asia??
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
adamak, perhaps on one of DL's many flights a day from many gateways to most important destinations in Asia??
Good luck finding award seats on DL's many flights a day to the most important destinations in Asia, at least at low mileage levels. It was easier and cheaper to redeem SkyMiles for premium seats on SQ, and you got a better product in the bargain.

If you can work around the blackout dates (), Korean Air is the way to go. Hard products and soft products nearly as good as SQ.

I'll also be giving Malaysian a try. Unfortunately, just one daily flight from the US, and I have no idea what the award availability will look like.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? Seems like the last 2-3 years all people have been doing around here is complain about no SQ premium availability. In anycase, DL through acquisition has gone up from perhaps 3-4 flights a day to Asia in recent years (and as few as ONE a very short while ago)to perhaps 20 flights a day, Transpac, plus the tags from NRT. In addition as you rightly point out, there are other partner options (China Airlines, Malaysia, China Southern, Korean, etc). When you consider that there were only what 5-6 flights a day on SQ from the US, the options are now more than ever, are they not?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
In my readings of the various threads, no-one has gotten two business class tickets or first class tickets at the same time in over a year.

Did I miss something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.