Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on overseas flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:28 pm

Continental -- no upgrade :(

As stated, this is really hit or miss.

I was on a pre-holiday flight from Newark to Barcelona on Continental; the flight was oversold in coach with 8 seats available in business class. I asked about upgrades both at the gate and in the Presidents Club lounge; I was even willing to use miles. No go.

Admittedly, I'm only Silver with Continental, but the flight bumped 3 people from coach and paid out correspondingly, and flew with a half-empty business class. Seemed crazy to me, what do I know
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I was just op-upped on my MSP-AMS flight. It happened at boarding -- the GA couldn't get my BP to work, even though I could see that the computer had 10J next to my name, so she handed it off to the desk, who told me to wait by the side. After about 5 minutes she came over with a BP for 6B, and I was relieved, since I was slightly worried that I was being selected for further screening. I'm PM, and I can truthfully say that I'm batting 1.000 on op-ups this year.

Actually, since I started flying DL/NW again in mid-2009, I'm 3/11 on TA op-ups. That's not too bad.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Just a note on the free wine, I am PT and travel to China about 6 times a year from MSP.
Twice the purser have given me 1 bottle of cab as thanks for flying NWA.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, USAir, United, AA, Continental
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On the return after Christmas, again BE was supposed to be about half empty and this time it remained so. I had an empty seat next to me until a passenger was brought up from coach by a FA right after the doors were closed. (I had thought that this was alsolutely strictly against the rules.) The person wasn't a nonrev; the FA said she should sit in the seat next to me because the additional passenger was the FA's friend. (I don't know why this seat was selected and I had the inconvenience to move then in order to get an empty seat next to me again.) We chatted a bit and it was clear that the person didn't fly very much and certainly wasn't elite. At the end of the flight, the FA (who didn't work in our section) gave the friend a bottle of wine to go. Since DL is so opposed to paying coach passengers riding in BE except for clearly delineated circumstances such as using miles/SWUs in advance on Y/B/M fares, I'm very tempted to report the FA. From a strict ethical perspective, this looks like theft of goods and services by an employee. I don't know whether the purser was aware of the "upgrade" but I assume that the purser did not observe the gift of wine, which came from a different section with instructions to hide it.

In addition, I noticed that an unaccompanied minor without elite status was informally upgraded to BE. Isn't this also against the rules?
I sincerely hope you report the agent. Send an e-mail to DL with your flight info, etc.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Anything goes in war and love and international upgrades.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I observed some interesting TPAC "upgrades" on MSP-NRT-MSP around the holidays.

On the return after Christmas, again BE was supposed to be about half empty and this time it remained so. I had an empty seat next to me until a passenger was brought up from coach by a FA right after the doors were closed. (I had thought that this was alsolutely strictly against the rules.) The person wasn't a nonrev; the FA said she should sit in the seat next to me because the additional passenger was the FA's friend. (I don't know why this seat was selected and I had the inconvenience to move then in order to get an empty seat next to me again.) We chatted a bit and it was clear that the person didn't fly very much and certainly wasn't elite. At the end of the flight, the FA (who didn't work in our section) gave the friend a bottle of wine to go. Since DL is so opposed to paying coach passengers riding in BE except for clearly delineated circumstances such as using miles/SWUs in advance on Y/B/M fares, I'm very tempted to report the FA. From a strict ethical perspective, this looks like theft of goods and services by an employee. I don't know whether the purser was aware of the "upgrade" but I assume that the purser did not observe the gift of wine, which came from a different section with instructions to hide it.
Did you report this? Certainly seems irregular conduct. How do you know that this passenger was not non-rev?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: DL Plat
I'm on PRG-JFK tomorrow (Friday). In the span of a couple days this week, the seatmap on Delta.com went from about 40 open seats to 3-4 open seats. Expert flyer shows 9 available in every fare. I'm hoping like hell that it's an oversold flight but can't seem to make much sense out of the available fares.

I'm not counting on anything, but I've been bumped up out of Prague before on an op-up.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
On my last AMS-SEA flight just before Christmas, a person in my row was moved up front by the purser because his AVOD was inop.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Red face

In 2008 I had a ~75%+ success rate as a GE on SEA-NRT-CAN for getting OP-Ups to WBC from discounted (<$1000) coach fares based on 3 trips (12 total Int'l Legs). China travel was still booming then so maybe most were oversold in coach, I don't know. I saw SE's get it too though not quite as often.

Since then the Z inventory has been more readily available so I've been flying BE at a reasonable rate and can't speak to the current state. Course its up and down since they cancelled my beloved NRT-CAN route and now I have to slog through HKG to get to the mainland...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by GobBluth10
I'm on PRG-JFK tomorrow (Friday). In the span of a couple days this week, the seatmap on Delta.com went from about 40 open seats to 3-4 open seats. Expert flyer shows 9 available in every fare. I'm hoping like hell that it's an oversold flight but can't seem to make much sense out of the available fares.

I'm not counting on anything, but I've been bumped up out of Prague before on an op-up.

No op-up. And my charm didn't work. I was watching seat assignments... For 2 weeks I've been in 18C on the 763 with the lame wall entertainment. But at least it's in the front for service, and in the "small" section between BE and lav so doesn't feel like a cattle car.

But in the last day, 18D showed occupied. Drats, no open middle seat next to me! But still hoping for op-up. Go in BE checkin line, assuming it was also for Medallion check-in. No issues there, though the "interview guy" did say after swiping my passport "I see you are a frequent flyer, can I see your card?".

Get to checkin agent. I told her I'd love her forever if she put me up front because I knew the flight was close to sold out. She just smiled.... punched the keys, and handed me 18C. Dammit! (Note: I'm 40 and ok looking, not a casanova but not a total schlub)

BE was at best 33% full. But my middle seat was open! Maybe she hosed someone else to at least do that for me.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
6 months ago I grabbed an upgradable fare to Europe for $2200 or so. Now I can't find anything even remotely close to that.

Delta needs to expand to include H fares for Diamonds at least. If they do that then I can make this work. Otherwise, I cannot stay with DL. Is anyone from DL listening?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, National Exec
Use miles for upgrade?

Anyone ever have success using miles for an upgrade to BE from a discount fare on TPAC?

Have a T fare to SYD in a couple weeks. Thinking about springing for it if possible.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:23 pm

Same fare class rules apply to upgrades with miles.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:43 pm

The cheapest upgradeable fares I am finding to Europe from PDX are around ~$3,500.00. What the hell?

Anyone have any suggestions beyond it's time to bail ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.