Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on overseas flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: sky miles platinum
Upgrades on overseas flights

Does anyone know what the qualifications used in complimentary upgrades on international flights?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by tuffyak
Does anyone know what the qualifications used in complimentary upgrades on international flights?
The flight is oversold in coach.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Big_Dutch
The flight is oversold in coach.
That's right, end of story.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Welcome to FlyerTalk. As others have stated, complimentary upgrades are not given on trans-oceanic flights, regardless of elite status or fare class. The only case that happens is when coach is oversold. In that case, typically platinums on high fare classes are upgraded first, and they work down by elite status and fare type as needed to open coach seats.

Standard domestic complimentary upgrade rules apply to flights within North America (except Hawaii), Central America, and at least some cities in northern South America. More details can be found on delta.com or nwa.com.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Question: when do international op-ups get processed?

Last week, I was upgraded on JFK-NRT, as part of a JFK-NRT-SIN RT.
About 12 hours before the flight, I saw the "upgrade/standby list" button, clicked on it, and was amazed to see that there was an upgrade list and I was #1 of 10 on the upgrade list (I was on a V ticket and thus not eligible to use miles).

The following morning, ~5 hours before the flight, I was #1 of 9. Not long thereafter I was upgraded. Based on the change in the J seatmap and what I saw on the plane, I think everyone on the list was upgraded.

I had called NW the day before about op-ups and how people are prioritized and was curtly told that this is handled by the airport, and so they couldn't tell me anything.

Expertflyer had shown anywhere from Y3 to Y6 (and some seats on lower buckets) for the preceding couple of days, so I didn't think it was oversold. When I was on the plane, I noticed that coach did seem to have, at most, a few open seats (and this after ~9 passengers were upgraded).

So if they had to accomodate other pax at the airport, I am surprised that the upgrade would clear 4-5 hours before flight, but if they didn't and knew the flight would be full, I don't know why expertflyer was showing Y6 that morning.

Also, for the other 3 flights on my itinerary, there was no upgrade list (at least none for non-YBM passengers), and some of them I thought had lower Expertflyer availability than the first segment.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
That's right, end of story.
Actually, a few years ago I was upgraded on a KL flight to AMS when there were some mechanical problems that delayed us. C was almost empty and they moved a bunch of elites up, although Y was not full. That was very nice of them, I think.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
I'm a new to FT and am interested in flying TPAC. Currently I have PM status and will be DM next year. If I purchase a T class NRT flight (SFO, PDX or LAX) what are my chances of getting up in FC? Looking through the forums it does not look good. Most of my experience is domestic - which was relatively positive. If there are open seats in FC will the GA not upgrade elites because of fare class and policy? How does this work on an NRT flight?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
I would say your confidence of flying coach is 98%. If the flight is oversold in coach you will be one of the top flyers considered for an op-up. Especially if the system updates for diamond are being implemented early.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:45 am

Be a Delta employee.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:52 am

I'm a brand new silver and am trying to figure out upgrade possibilities for ATL-TLV.

Is it correct that to get a confirmed upgrade using miles that I would need to be on an M fare?

If I'm missing anything, I'll appreciate the guidance.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by zjoec
I'm a brand new silver and am trying to figure out upgrade possibilities for ATL-TLV.

Is it correct that to get a confirmed upgrade using miles that I would need to be on an M fare?

If I'm missing anything, I'll appreciate the guidance.
Yes, M, Y, or B but M will be the cheapest (well ok, not cheap at all but CHEAPER than B or Y). Probably around $3,300.00
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:26 am

Thanks, avidflyer. I was hoping that I was overlooking something cheaper.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by zjoec
Thanks, avidflyer. I was hoping that I was overlooking something cheaper.
A very large percentage of this forum wish EXACTLY the same thing
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Welcome to FlyerTalk. As others have stated, complimentary upgrades are not given on trans-oceanic flights, regardless of elite status or fare class. The only case that happens is when coach is oversold. In that case, typically platinums on high fare classes are upgraded first, and they work down by elite status and fare type as needed to open coach seats.

Standard domestic complimentary upgrade rules apply to flights within North America (except Hawaii), Central America, and at least some cities in northern South America. More details can be found on delta.com or nwa.com.
Questions:
When traveling with the family internationally, all on the same PNR, I, a PM, have wondered whether I would be overlooked for the oversold upgrade because of the other members (all general members) present in the PNR. Is this true?
I have also asked what would happen with regards to luggage allowances if I were split from the PNR in order to optimize the chance for the oversold UG and was told that the remaining pax would then be subject to luggage fees. Is this true?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by gsorob
Questions:
When traveling with the family internationally, all on the same PNR, I, a PM, have wondered whether I would be overlooked for the oversold upgrade because of the other members (all general members) present in the PNR. Is this true?
I have also asked what would happen with regards to luggage allowances if I were split from the PNR in order to optimize the chance for the oversold UG and was told that the remaining pax would then be subject to luggage fees. Is this true?
To answer your first question, you will be overlooked for any possible opups if there are any other elites traveling solo or with other elites. Last summer, my GF and I, on seperate PNR's, flew JFK to ZRH. I was plat at the time and she was general member. I got an op up at the gate, she didnt. I asked if they could op up her since we were traveling together. They werent able to do it so the op up went down the line to a gold.

as for your 2nd question: I try never to answer a question with a question, but why would you want to upgrade and leave your family in coach? First off, I dont have any personal knowledge of this but I do not think you can split the PNR and if you were able to, they would be subject to the luggage fees. Mind you, I dont work for Delta but thats my understanding of how things work at Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.