Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mileage credit if bumped to a non-SkyTeam airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum

Yesterday I gave up my seat on an oversold flight, thinking Delta would reroute me home on its own network. Instead, they put me on American.

I was compensated with Delta Dollars and got home only four hours later than planned, but will I receive credit for the MQMs or redeemable miles I lost by not flying a SkyTeam partner?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:17 am

I would call and request the credit for the original routing.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by samonyc
Yesterday I gave up my seat on an oversold flight, thinking Delta would reroute me home on its own network. Instead, they put me on American.

I was compensated with Delta Dollars and got home only four hours later than planned, but will I receive credit for the MQMs or redeemable miles I lost by not flying a SkyTeam partner?
You can always call Delta and ask for original routing credit.

EDA: Bigpops beat me to it!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
1) Request the missing FF credit from Delta. Tell them your story. You should get credit for this

2) When you got bumped to AA, did you give them your FF number? If not,
Request a missing credit on American.

You just might be able to get millage on both.

Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm in the middle of this right now...although I am attempting to do this via the "TTU" feature of Delta.com. I emailed them the information through their online form and they responded the same day with an email asking me for the e-ticket number. Huh? It's right in the form I sent them!

I replied to the email with the e-ticket number and the confirmation code and hopefully that does it. I missed a DEN-ATL leg due to the FAA screw ups on 19Nov which would have caused me to misconnect. They rerouted me on a UA Express direct flight which got me to ATL on time.

I'll update this thread when I get an answer from Delta.

-RM
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've been bumped a couple of times this year and have had 100% success getting credit for my original routing by using the form here:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/manage...edit/index.jsp

It's usually taken less than a week from submitting that form to the miles posting. I've also tried calling, but that never got me anywhere.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: KLM, Delta
Hi I had a similar thing happen to me.
see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...se-advise.html

You should be able to get mileage on both- make sure you fax everything in (don't use mail bc they want originals and you will lose them if you mail them in)

One more tip that I learned a long time ago- if you don't receive replies from your faxes (I had that problem with KLM- FB they are impossible to get hold of- photocopy your fax ten times and send all ten copies repeatedly thru the fax- when they start running out of paper and get a million copies of your fax- they will take notice- I usually get a response within hours if not minutes!

Good luck!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. I'll wait a few days to see what happens. Maybe they'll just credit me automatically. (Although I don't expect to get the AmEx matching miles.)
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Same thing happened to me on YVR-MSP-NRT, where I got rerouted YVR-NRT direct on JAL. Actually worked out to be the best possible situation: JAL cheerfully assigned me an exit row seat, I got to Tokyo 6 hours early, and I got full NW credit for YVR-MSP-NRT

I did have to send in a request for the mileage after the trip, though. I'd suggest you go ahead and send in the request, I doubt it will post automatically.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*

Dude... it's FT!!!

ORC, and claim mileage on the other airline's program... double-dip.

The only thing that makes it better is being bounced on an award ticket to another airline, which usually puts you into the Y bucket... Y-fare bonus. Single-dipping in another proram... on an award ticket.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Dude... it's FT!!!

ORC, and claim mileage on the other airline's program... double-dip.

The only thing that makes it better is being bounced on an award ticket to another airline, which usually puts you into the Y bucket... Y-fare bonus. Single-dipping in another proram... on an award ticket.
It was indeed a Y ticket on AA. Guess that's how I got the bulkhead! I almost felt guilty for keeping it from some long-legged AA loyalist.

By the way, I almost never fly American, so tell me if you think it's unusual to have 90 people on the standby list? I couldn't believe the monitor. This was an ORD-LGA evening flight on the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use search terms such as "holy grail" or "trifecta" and you will learn that being bumped to another carrier or even two with negligable results on your arrival time and getting the same miles on 2,3 or more carriers "legally" is the most admired and anticipated event in the FT world.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hfly
Use search terms such as "holy grail" or "trifecta" and you will learn that being bumped to another carrier or even two with negligable results on your arrival time and getting the same miles on 2,3 or more carriers "legally" is the most admired and anticipated event in the FT world.
nice one
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I've been bumped a couple of times this year and have had 100% success getting credit for my original routing by using the form here:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/manage...edit/index.jsp
Thanks for the tip. I filled out the form Wednesday night and got the miles Friday morning, including the AmEx double-miles bonus!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.