Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/Northwest Food Catering contracts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus

I was wondering, does any know about the food catering contracts with Delta and Northwest? The issue is that at most airports, Delta's main food caterer is GateGourmet, while Northwest's main food caterer is LSG Sky Chefs. Does anyone know on how DL will decide on this issue?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Originally Posted by Delta 764
I was wondering, does any know about the food catering contracts with Delta and Northwest? The issue is that at most airports, Delta's main food caterer is GateGourmet, while Northwest's main food caterer is LSG Sky Chefs. Does anyone know on how DL will decide on this issue?
Contact is a done deal. Delta and GateGourmet have signed a contract covering 40 airports WW. See here.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:40 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
From the press release linked to above:

"Consistency of product delivery is a key component of Delta's brand experience for our customers," Joanne Smith, Delta senior vice president of in-flight services, said in the release. "The complete integration of catering solutions is another important step in bringing together the best of Delta and Northwest."

Please...don't make me gag.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by fti
bringing together the best of Delta and Northwest."
the best of the combination? i used to have short ribs with a salad and slice a pie, now i get ruffles and a soggy sandwich. thanks Joanne!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It's so frustrating that I actually knew the answer to this as a passenger. For example, on a Comair flight last week that was supposed to have lunch catered, they blamed LSG for not loading the correct food in Minneapolis because it 'wasn't their usual caterer, it was whoever Northwest uses' - no water, no lunch, and not even a snack basket. Not that it's the end of the world, but it figures that it would be the one flight I actually skip lunch before boarding because I'm running short on time and thought I was guaranteed a meal....
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Interestingly, Gate Gourmet does not have offices in MSP according to their website. I wonder what will be done here.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is it out of the question to see catering brought in-house in the future, as a wholly owned subsidiary? I beleive that CO has a similar setup.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Is it out of the question to see catering brought in-house in the future, as a wholly owned subsidiary? I beleive that CO has a similar setup.
Yes, CO's catering subsidiary is called Chelsea Catering.

And actually, LSG Sky Chefs is a subsidiary of Lufthansa, even though they cater to many airlines worldwide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.