Wiki Posts
Search

DL PM... moving to ATL for a yr.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
DL PM... moving to ATL for a yr.

Mainly going to be flying ATL-LAX 645pm friday night flight with sunday return... or ATL-SAN or ATL-BOS.

Are these heavy medallion routes for the weekend flyer? I am at 80k mqm this year and have a couple of transcons in dec but will not make it for diamond. You think I'll be ok at PM with Reserve card for making EUAs on these routes?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:09 am

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by kar don
Mainly going to be flying ATL-LAX 645pm friday night flight with sunday return... or ATL-SAN or ATL-BOS.

Are these heavy medallion routes for the weekend flyer? I am at 80k mqm this year and have a couple of transcons in dec but will not make it for diamond. You think I'll be ok at PM with Reserve card for making EUAs on these routes?
As a PM out of ATL on these routes, you will be fine (I'd guess 70% except on L,U,Ts). I'd also highly recommend the DeltaReserve card -- it'll increase your UGs chances to 80% or better. With it; you will move to the top of your tier on the UG list. However, you still have to factor in the fare fare code.

You can also SDC with a confirmed UG to a earlier/later flight if you see better FC seat availability -- I do it all the time; I'd rather relax in the lounge for 2-3 hours than ride coach for 5 hours; but since you are going be a weekend flyer with short tur-arounds... the SDC may not be your best options... but I still think you'll be OK on the UGs.

Using these two methods I am at 100% ATL-LAX for the year for 9 flights.

Last edited by LALAland; Nov 25, 2009 at 8:55 am
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I disagree with the earlier poster.

I am a PM with a Delta Reserve card flying the ATL/LAX route approximately every other month (rotating between LAX and SNA) My upgrades run less then 50%. I fly L,U,T however.

Prior to this job I flew higher fare classes on the same route and did run close to 100% but if you are flying "el cheapo" don't get your hopes up!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I disagree with the earlier poster.

I am a PM with a Delta Reserve card flying the ATL/LAX route approximately every other month (rotating between LAX and SNA) My upgrades run less then 50%. I fly L,U,T however.

Prior to this job I flew higher fare classes on the same route and did run close to 100% but if you are flying "el cheapo" don't get your hopes up!
Hense my warning re: L,U,T - also keep in mind the OP is traveling on weekends. The Friday will be harder than Sunday, obvioulsy. OP - consider Burbank, Long Beach or Orange County as well. Burbank will require a connection in SLC, but John Wayne has 5 daily non-stops.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by LALAland
Hense my warning re: L,U,T - also keep in mind the OP is traveling on weekends. The Friday will be harder than Sunday, obvioulsy. OP - consider Burbank, Long Beach or Orange County as well. Burbank will require a connection in SLC, but John Wayne has 5 daily non-stops.
John Wayne is actually harder IMHO. They use the smaller jets so a lot fewer seats for the "lottery" and there appears to be a good number of Elites. I was 2nd on the list this past Friday and did not clear for example.

I do better on LAX then John Wayne. (I am only doing the non-stops )
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I do better on LAX then John Wayne. (I am only doing the non-stops )
Me too.

I have the least luck on SFO-ATL returns on Sundays.

Maybe 65% on the ATL-LAX outbound.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by kar don

ATL-SAN is pretty medallion heavy as is ATL-SNA (I think a lot of people try SNA instead of LAX).

In terms of EUA, i think it will really depend on the fare class you end up purchasing. As a GM + Reserve, my UG% to ATL has been okay (I would guess in the 50-60% range). I generally get K fare or better because I purchase quite late, but there are a few LUTs mixed in there as well.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Thanks guys. Shooting to take the 645pm flight as it is a 777 with the lie flat seats ATL to LAX. Figure I can nap then be ready for my arrival at LAX!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.