Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

17.5K EQM in 09 - Should I apply for AMEX Sky Miles Plat to become Silver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold

I need some expert help.
I have 17.5K EQMs and need 7.5K more.
I want to apply for AMEX Sky Miles platinum ($2,5k EQM) but am afraid that EQMs won't post in 2009 since when approved my card will be mailed in December and the first statement will be most likely in Jan.
Thus, I will miss the additional 5K bonus for $1,000 spent.

I am not a very frequent flyer but SIlver Medallion may help some for my annual trip to Eastern Europe (wife, baby and bags).

Any input will be appreciated.

Mileage run is pretty tough since 7.5K EQM is a mountain to climb unless I fly to from South Florida to Seattle or San Fran

P.S. Exit row with baby is not feasible but I am still debating the bags issue. Normally, we will have 4 bags 50lbs each. With the new rules I will have to pay $50 for the second bag per passenger. As Elite I believe I am entitled to 2 bags per paid passenger 70lbs each. Thus, 4 free bags and extra 80lbs (280 vs 200 lbs) will make my wife happy as she can stuff them

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving.

Rumeli

Last edited by Rumeli; Nov 25, 2009 at 12:09 am
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by Rumeli
I need some expert help.
I want to apply for AMEX Sky Miles platinum but am afraid that EQMs won't post in 2009 since when approved my card will be mailed in December and the first statement will be most likely in Jan.

I am not a very frequent flyer but SIlver Medallion may help some for my annual trip to Eastern Europe (wife, baby and bags).

Mileage run is pretty tough since 7.5K EQM is a mountain to climb.

Rumeli

Given that 2010 is just around the corner, I would say NO. Better to fly and earn those 7.5K miles for sure. You can also call Amex and find out exactly when these miles post. If you apply now, you would get your card in approximately two weeks I'm guessing.. which is mid-December. It seems a little risky, however it's not impossible.

As far as needing Silver Elite.. if you plan to do this for your Europe flight next year, it might be cheaper for you in the long run to just purchase exit row/premium seats. Delta allows 2 checked in bags, around 50lbs for non elites. You can weigh your bag on a scale to be sure you do not exceed the limit. The only downside of not being elite is that you will lose 25% bonus miles from your trip. But given that Delta SkyMiles are so worthless nowadays, 2.5K (25% of 10K, approx miles earned from USA to Europe) miles is a long way from some of the outrageous award tickets today (domestic coach can be as expensive as 60K r/t) and you can earn that just from shopping on SkyMiles Shopping website.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by Rumeli
I need some expert help.
I want to apply for AMEX Sky Miles platinum but am afraid that EQMs won't post in 2009 since when approved my card will be mailed in December and the first statement will be most likely in Jan.

Mileage run is pretty tough since 7.5K EQM is a mountain to climb.

Rumeli
My opinion is that the DeltaReserve card is the better option.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by LALAland
Hmm... I would have to disagree, given that Delta Reserve has a $450 fee. Meanwhile, the Platinum has a $150 fee. If the OP's goals are to earn 2.5K extra miles, get exit row seats, and get 20 more pounds on each of the checked in bags, then I guess applying for the card isn't a bad idea. However, the problem is that the miles may not post on time and that 2.5K (approx) is not a lot of miles and exit row seats are cheaper to purchase than the credit card's annual fee.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:21 am

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by mike101
Hmm... I would have to disagree, given that Delta Reserve has a $450 fee. Meanwhile, the Platinum has a $150 fee. If the OP's goals are to earn 2.5K extra miles, get exit row seats, and get 20 more pounds on each of the checked in bags, then I guess applying for the card isn't a bad idea. However, the problem is that the miles may not post on time and that 2.5K (approx) is not a lot of miles and exit row seats are cheaper to purchase than the credit card's annual fee.
The Reserve card is more per year, but 30k MQMs + 30k bonus miles + the bump to the top of your tier on UGs makes it a better card for in my mind. Plus it has ALL the other 'travel' benefits of the PLAT card and add'l cards are annual 'fee free'.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:24 am

Another Idea

Go for the Suntrust Debit Card offer... it's worth 15k after 2 PIN-less charges. If you have a spouse, get 2 cards (both with your FF #). They got my card to me in a week and I have already made the required purchases; now just waiting to see how quickly they post.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Go for the Suntrust Debit Card offer... it's worth 15k after 2 PIN-less charges. If you have a spouse, get 2 cards (both with your FF #). They got my card to me in a week and I have already made the required purchases; now just waiting to see how quickly they post.
Unless you know something I don't, I don't believe these debit cards earn MQMs, which is what the OP is looking for.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
Unless you know something I don't, I don't believe these debit cards earn MQMs, which is what the OP is looking for.
You are correct... late and tired... missed or forgot OP was looking for MQMs. Rethinking... short of a long haul milage run, the OP is going to have a hard time finding 17k MQMs by the end of the year.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
You are correct... late and tired... missed or forgot OP was looking for MQMs. Rethinking... short of a long haul milage run, the OP is going to have a hard time finding 17k MQMs by the end of the year.
It's only 10 p.m. here and at least midnight on the Mainland, so you're excused for being tired... but the OP only needs 7.5 MQMs.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
The DL reserve card MQM's will not post in time for 2010 status. A friend of mine just tried this and DL and Amex told him he is too late to make it this year.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:00 pm

I went back and forth between SkyMiles reps and AmEx reps over this exact issue last night, and finally came away with a promising - and hopefully accurate - answer.

(Re: AmEx Plat MQMs counting towards status this late in the year)

As long as the activity is completed before December 31, 2009 (first purchase), the miles have until February 28, 2010 to post to your account and still count towards elite qualification.

Has anybody heard anything different?

Brian
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Activity date or statement date

Futterman,

Thank you for your insight.

I am really confused between "activity" date and "statement" date.
This is because, let's say I received the actual card on Dec 15, no matter what I do the Amex statement will not be ready until January.
In this case, the miles will post "after" the statement but not after my purchases. In this case, I may earn the 2.5K EQM bonus for getting the card, but I do not see how I can get the 5K EQM bonus for $1,000 spent (that I intend to spend between Dec 15-31).

Any help will be much appreciated.

RML

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.