Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nothing allowed in the seatback?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:06 pm

I think the worst treatment I've seen for seatback pockets is people putting their feet in/on them. That can't be good.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:28 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have heard this cited a lot on many different airlines with increased emphasis in the past year. My understanding is that the materials allowed in the seatback pocket for takeoff and landing are all FAA approved, right down to the safety card and barf bag.
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
When she left the FC area the FA in FC told me to ignore her that she's stuck up but that they do have that policy now.
Call me crazy, but the second FA should be reported. The second FA telling a passenger to ignore what are legitimate instructions (as the second FA even admitted) from the first FA seems very problematic to me.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mtiffee
OK That would make sense BUT,

they're making us put the laptops under a seat or hold it in our laps. On my last flight, the FA said I could hold on to it or put it under my seat. How is that safer than putting it in the seat back? My laptop fits pretty snugly inside the seatback.
Simply that the seatback is not built to allow a laptop computer to stay securely in place. You want to put on your lap and take a chance, go ahead.
I simply put it back in my bag. Safe (both the laptop and myself) and secure.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL
I put a Dasani water bottle in the seatback pocket once in FC. FA's did not care.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM Marriott Gold
This is an FAR. The main reason is that the laptops stick out, and can impede an evacuation. The same reason that items stowed under the seat cannot stick out past the seat back. And just an FYI, the airline is now having FA's get strict about purses and laptops being held for takeoff and landing. The FAA issued a directive late last year to have this content covered in annual training. Purses are considered a bag and must be stowed. And reinforced that laptops must be stowed in the overhead bin or under the seat. They may not be held.

The main reason for inconsistency, is that this info is covered in annual training, and FA's are scattered throwout the year for this training. The training year at NWA is April 1 - March 31.

Last edited by jjvan; Nov 4, 2009 at 3:35 pm
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Traveling_cub
NWA, and Airlink, had been enforcing this rule for a year or so pre-merger.
Yes, at least a year. I do remember when the announcements started, but seriously, you can't turn it on til 10K feet anyway, just wait...
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Nothing allowed in the seatback?

Last week, I was on a CRJ-900 from CLE-ATL. Skywest was the Delta Connection carrier. I routinely stow my cellphone and a large folder with magazines in the seatback in front of me. On this flight, at both takeoff and landing, the FA demanded that I remove those items from the seatback for safety. I spend a lot of time flying Delta, and have never seen this. Anybody seen this?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by DL GNV-CAK
Last week, I was on a CRJ-900 from CLE-ATL. Skywest was the Delta Connection carrier. I routinely stow my cellphone and a large folder with magazines in the seatback in front of me. On this flight, at both takeoff and landing, the FA demanded that I remove those items from the seatback for safety. I spend a lot of time flying Delta, and have never seen this. Anybody seen this?
I haven't experienced it yet, but apparently its a FAA rule they are just starting to enforce. Apparently on the USAir flight that went in the Hudson, there were laptops and other heavy items flying everywhere. There was a thread about this recently, but I am too lazy to search

Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes it started about this summer when I notice FA checking seat backs on all flights; but they don't check every seatback.
I got away with a netbook in the pocket on the window seat but always get caught in aisle.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...hlight=skywest
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...light=seatback
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:17 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
The airlines have been saying for quite some time that laptops are not allowed in the seat backs. Actually, I think anyone who puts a laptop there is nuts anyway - I have had some pretty restless people in front of me and I would not want my laptop being banged around by such people.

But I have not heard that nothing can be stowed there. I would think my water bottle is safer there than in my hand or loose on the floor in front of me (I always bring a water bottle with me, Y or F class). If the seat pocket is so dangerous, I would probably take all their magazines, Skymall cr@p, etc. and put it on the floor where it is "safer."
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Just heard it today again MKE-ATL (Skywest).

'Nothing' in the seatbacks, including bottles of water in first.

They don't seem to check for magazines/books/Kindles, though.

TD
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
No Food, Nothing in Seatback Pockets, and other rants...

Just flew in F from PHX-MSP. Flight is scheduled over 3 hours, departs at 3.55pm with an 8.05pm arrival in MSP.

NO MEAL IN FIRST!!! Apparently 4 of the 16 passengers 'knew' about this, the other 12 were all pretty pissed off. I booked via Delta which is notorious for not having the correct meal service denoted on NW operated flights, but just assumed (mistake number one) that a 3+ hour flight right over dinner time would have a meal. Is it too much to ask that the GA's in PHX make an announcement so that passengers can buy food or eat before boarding? Of course, the lounge in PHX has already been shuttered - apparently because it cost DL $6,000 a month in rent and it was a cost saving move - but at least I could have hit Wendy's!

I actually ended up paying for food from Economy, which the FA said she would "allow me to do under the circumstances" even though "passengers in First should not be purchasing food provisioned for Coach passengers". Wow, thanks!

In the race to the bottom, the 'Deltafication' strikes again - you know it's bad when you sit in F, and have to buy food from Y because there is none in F.

And what is with the recent 'nothing in seatback pockets' FA rant of late? I was told I had to stow the tiny little Dasani water bottle in the overhead bin because it was not allowed to be loose for landing. Are you serious? The same FA used this as rationale for not pre-setting the seats with water bottles on boarding (although they were offered during the beverage service).

It seems like Delta/Northwest has just gone completely nutso of late...

Last edited by SamuelS; Nov 9, 2009 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:29 pm

Found a good story on this:

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettr...d_the_sea.html

""Another mystery solved! The seatback pocket rule explained
Posted by: Sean O'Neill, Thursday, Sep 3, 2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks to the 150 readers who wrote in about their experiences, we now know that many flight attendants are asking passengers to remove their personal belongings from their seat back pockets. But we also know that this policy is not consistent from flight to flight or from airline to airline.

Why is that? A flight attendant for a major commercial airline, Sara Keagle, who blogs at TheFlyingPinto.com, contacted the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Aviation Safety Hotline, which is aimed at helping air crews do their job correctly. Here was the FAA agent Jim Knight's response to her question:

It is currently only FAA "guidance," not a regulation . The agency is recommending airline companies consider the guidance as a way of developing their own set of company policies.
In other words, the FAA mandates FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations) that every airline must comply with. These require by law that laptops and major personal belongings be properly stowed in the overhead bins or under the seat in front of you.

Each airline also issues "guidance." The guidance is that the FAA will support an airline that decides to ban even small personal items from the seatback pocket. Airlines can establish their own policies on this matter. The FAA will help each airline enforce its own individual company policy. The FAA is recommending airline companies consider the guidance of keeping seatback pockets empty of personal items as a way of developing their own set of company policies. But it is not a federal, consistent law.""""

So to summarize, it is not an FAA regulation. It is guidance - something that an individual airline does on it's own - but with FAA approval - but not FAA required.

I am sure this has something to do with less work for the cleaning crews or trying to get people to bring less carry-ons.

In other words, business as usual..... Do what you want and blame the FAA if you are questioned!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Absolutely correct. It is much safer to put those items in the empty seat next to you (of course, if there IS an empty seat next to you!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.