Nothing allowed in the seatback?

Old Nov 3, 09, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
No notebooks in seatback pocket allowed

When did this rule go into effect?

I was told I couldn't put my laptop in the seat back pocket by an FA. When she left the FC area the FA in FC told me to ignore her that she's stuck up but that they do have that policy now.
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I think there was a recent thread, it has always been an FAA rule but not enforced. A few months ago, the FAA issued a reminder to airlines and I've seen many more FAs enforce the rule.
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:43 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I'm pretty sure this has been policy at most airlines for several years (I've seen it enforced a number of times). Here's a post from an AA purser from way back in 2001 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/1337502-post5.html
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
I never saw this before my flight last Saturday from LAX-SLC. I was sitting in F and the FA told a guy sitting near me "to please don't put your laptop in the seatback pocket" and she said it quite the attitude. The guy seemed like he didn't know what she was talking about and said "excuse me?" and she said, again with a huff, "please don't put your laptop in the pocket. it's breaks the seat."
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:48 pm

As long as there have been laptops. It's mentioned in every pre-flight speech, and every time they tell you to turn it off and stow it on descent.

Makes total sense. Imagine a hard landing, or severe turbulence, and then imagine 100 or so 8 pound slabs of metal and plastic flying through the cabin. You get the idea!
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
lol how can it break the seat, my notebook is ligther than the sky mall magazine

I can see that being the case with those monster of notebooks of years past though.
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
A FA told me that during the Hudson River landing, there were laptops all over the cabin causing tripping hazards. So they just reminded FA's to keep them out of seat back pockets.
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
"Under new FAA regulations, you may not place anything in your seat-back pockets," she announced as passengers boarded the regional jet. The only things that could be in the seat-back pocket, she said, were "company-printed material," like the in-flight magazine, the safety card and presumably the airsickness bag. All "personal items" had to be stowed in the overhead bin or under the seat.
http://www.startribune.com/business/57336022.html
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:09 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I take everything out from the seat back pocket and stuff it under the seat. It helps give the worn out cushions a bit more lift. Solves all kinds of problems..

That said I am hearing this statement more and more. Mostly though when sitting in the exit row.
Old Nov 4, 09, 5:58 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
I'm hearing it regularly now during at least one or two announcements. The FA told me just to angle it under the seat in front me for takeoff... That's cool unless you are in a bulkhead seat
Old Nov 4, 09, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by overholtm View Post
A FA told me that during the Hudson River landing, there were laptops all over the cabin causing tripping hazards. So they just reminded FA's to keep them out of seat back pockets.
How does putting a laptop, loose on the floor under the seat in front of you, make it any less likely to be dislodged and become a tripping hazard, compared to the alternative of having it in the seat pocket?
Old Nov 4, 09, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
It's funny, but I've only heard this admonition, if ever, on NW metal and within the last year and a half.

It's a pretty silly rule, not that I actually stuff my laptop in there. If it fits, what's the problem?
Old Nov 4, 09, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Put some newspaper around/over it, always works.
Old Nov 4, 09, 7:46 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Delta Platinum; United 1P
NWA, and Airlink, had been enforcing this rule for a year or so pre-merger.
Old Nov 4, 09, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Seatback pocket is not very strong - held together with velcro or a few pressure fastners. Makes a lot of sense not to keep an object that could become a missile in the case of an accident.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: