Certain look required for first class?

Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: DL
Im a Gold Medallion at age 19. You should see the dirty looks I get from people when standing in the first/medallion line. I just recently got upgraded to BE LAX-JFK and the people doing the walk back to coach were looking at me like I should die.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:42 am

I've been asked "Are you flying first class with us today?" when checking in at the F counter. I answer yes, and that's it.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by economan
I only tend to get this if I am in the larger airport. My little RDU, the agents know me already, but ATL and SEA I have had them look at me weird.
This is actually odd to me - SEA is full of dot com folks who fly first class in t-shirts and shorts, so I'm surprised you got a look from the agents. Other passengers, maybe, but full business suits are actually the minority out here. (In fact, "Seattle Tux" is local slang for a flannel shirt and jeans http://www.callihan.com/seattle/misc.htm)
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:49 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by gj83
I just write down their name and the time/place of the incident if they seem condescending and fire it off on the website.

A simple "the regular line is over there" 1 time just seems like they are trying to protect the F line and I respect that. Repeating that after I state I'm in the right line or saying I don't look like I belong there gets a letter from me.
+1. I generally don't complain unless it's a pretty serious issue, but this one definitely falls into that category. I might even have had a return comment for the guy at that point.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
About a decade ago, when I looked very young (but was wearing a business suit), a GA pointedly looked me up and down and then announced loudly "YOU couldn't POSSIBLY be in FC" when I tried to board with my row. (I'm white.) I said something like "hey, you idiot, before you insult me, please bother to look at my boarding pass and especially look at the price of my ticket" (paper ticket days and I'm not sure how clearly status showed on boarding passes then). I then filed a complaint with the purser by demanding a complaint form upon boarding. My reaction could get one kicked off the plane in today's climate.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I can't remember if I've ever worn anything above dockers/button down in F, and that's maybe once or twice. Every time I've flown WBC, it was in shorts/polo (hey, might as well be comfortable!). 99% of the time, it's about how you act, not how you dress. It's the other 1% that gets irritating.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
On average I dress business casual with at least sport coat while going through airport and on-board. However, often, particularly for any longer flight I trade my sport coat for a hooded sweatshirt or flece with baseball cap to stay warm.

Im trying to think of if/when an agent at ticket/check-in counter ever gave me attitude like that, Im sure along the way it has happened however does not ring a bell.

OTOH, I have encountered people in 1st class/biz class/elite lines who have given me attitude, likewise an occasinal GA with attitude until I present boarding pass, FF card etc. Have also run into some attitude from FAs or pursors in WBC/F.

Had one pursor who gave me some real attitude about being upgraded into WBC on an AMS-MSP flight that I should be back with the other tourists (I had been confirmed upgraded on miles, no opup, then due to double booking, had to give up seat for what turned out to be a no show).

Later in the flight I mentioned to the pursor that it was not an issue for me that I was that last one to be asked what I wanted for dinner after others were taken care of as I knew they were busy and that on other WBC flights I had my share of being asked first for selection.

He asked what I meant and I explained my other travels and then he asked about my status and I shared with him, he disappeared, saw him looking at spil, then came back and was my new friend. Saw him on a different flight and he remembered me, needless to say I was not the last to be served .

However more often than not, if not in all situations once they look at spill/manifest or I show/tell them my status, travel habits their attitude changes 180 degrees. Especialy if Im polite too them while they are terse or unfriendly with me, at some point they thaw out which is probally a good case for having status info including MM on the manifests.

-H
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
In any case, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Delta there - rude Sky Club agents (no, we won't help you... what do you mean, the CVG sky club could do that?), rude ticket agents, and my personal favorite, the inevitable SEAT REQUEST cards that I never seem to encounter anywhere else.
I'm new to Delta. What is a "Seat Request Card"? First time I have ever seen this term used.
Dave
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I always dress business casual when I'm flying because I feel regardless if your in first or not you should dress nicely.
Sounds like you are passing the same kinds of judgment on appearance that you think the airlines shouldn't.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
You obviously don't have the look of "entitlement" appropriate for 1st.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, *wood-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, HH-Silver, Frontier-Ascent, Hertz-Prez0
I am 29 and I fly F in shorts, hooded sweatshirt and ballcap every other week and have never had a problem with NW. Apparently I missed the merger memo on dress code changes.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: DL FO; > 6'8" FF club
Originally Posted by sbagdon
I can't remember if I've ever worn anything above dockers/button down in F, and that's maybe once or twice. Every time I've flown WBC, it was in shorts/polo (hey, might as well be comfortable!). 99% of the time, it's about how you act, not how you dress. It's the other 1% that gets irritating.
Attitude definitely does it--

I showed up at SEA in fleece and the elite check in staff went so far as to check me in as another passenger with the same last name and no status...This was even with my ID present.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Dress any way you want.

I personally believe that your concerns about what others think of how you dress tells me more about you than those looking at you.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I dress for the occasion of what I'm flying to - I'm not trying to dress to impress on a plane. I have some basic personal standards (ie I'm not going to be wearing a torn, tattered t-shirt; however, that's more because I just wouldn't wear it in public), but 95% of the time I'm wearing jeans (don't wear shorts on planes just because I find planes can get pretty cold) and a t-shirt. I've only had a couple of problems with agents raising their eyebrows, but it's not my problem that I'm 24, a Plat and in F.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
Originally Posted by indufan
Sounds like you are passing the same kinds of judgment on appearance that you think the airlines shouldn't.
I disagree. In my opinion, saying "folks should dress nicely when they fly" doesn't ipso facto make you a judgmental fashionista. For example, I saw a guy on a flight yesterday wearing jorts and a dirty t-shirt in FC SEA-JFK. Did I look twice? Sure. Does that make me a fashionista? Gosh I hope not; I don't look the part.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.