Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Medallion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009 | 6:06 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I agree, go for it, if for no other reason than DL will treat you like a real customer instead of one of the herd.......
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 6:07 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by tladle
Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am 3,500 MQMs from Silver Medallion with no planned air trips for the rest of the year but could take a quick trip to put me over. I have never been a Medallion and usually take 2-3 business and 2-3 personal trips per year. I am wondering if Silver Medallion is worth obtaining? If so, any ideas for an inexpensive, easy way to get 3,500 MQMs before the end of the year?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to FT -- depending on how many segments you have, you may be able to qualify that way --- For example, if you're making 6 trips a year at two flights each direction, you could have 24 segments and if that's the case 6 more segments would get you there.

Bob H
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 6:16 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Dovster
There are no bonus MQMs for status -- only bonus SkyMiles. They will begin on the flight after the one which puts you over the 25,000 MQMs.

However, if that flight is before you are officially upgraded to Silver (usually the following Saturday) you may have to wait until the end of the year before you see the bonus SkyMiles.

eg: You have 24,500 MQMs right now. Tomorrow morning, you fly ATL-DCA and get 500 MQMs. That is enough for Silver, but you will not get the bonus SkyMiles for that flight although will not be officially upgraded until Saturday

Tomorrow afternoon, you fly back to ATL. You will earn the bonus SkyMiles but because you have not yet been officially upgraded they will not be posted to your account until the end of the year.

On Monday, you make the same round trip. Your records now show you are Silver and you will get the bonus SkyMiles immediately.
Why might he have to wait until the end of the year? Would he just have to wait until his status officially changes over the following weekend?
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Evan!
Why might he have to wait until the end of the year? Would he just have to wait until his status officially changes over the following weekend?
If the SkyMiles post before he is upgraded on the weekend, DL generally does not add the bonus SkyMiles right away. At the end of the year they run a sweep to catch all such missing bonuses (at least that is how they worked it in the past).
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 6:56 am

yessss....come to the dark side. The desire is strong in this one it is...

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am 3,500 MQMs from Silver Medallion with no planned air trips for the rest of the year but could take a quick trip to put me over. I have never been a Medallion and usually take 2-3 business and 2-3 personal trips per year. I am wondering if Silver Medallion is worth obtaining? If so, any ideas for an inexpensive, easy way to get 3,500 MQMs before the end of the year?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 7:07 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Dovster
If the SkyMiles post before he is upgraded on the weekend, DL generally does not add the bonus SkyMiles right away. At the end of the year they run a sweep to catch all such missing bonuses (at least that is how they worked it in the past).
Thanks. I did not know about a year-end cleanup sweep.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 7:57 am

Programs: AA - PP
So to echo what everybody's already said, and speaking as someone who's had to go the last couple of years base after being Silver or Gold, as close as you are, it's definitely worth the effort. Should be pretty easy to get that last little bit.

Now I just have to suffer through 6 more weeks of flights (gotta hate short hops) before I finally get back to the happy place.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 8:18 am
15 Years on Site

As a Silver Medallion, I have received an upgrade on about 40-50% of my flights. (so far -- including the upgrades I have received this week -- have flown 25 flights)

On several occasions, I have been upgraded 2 days before the flight (so upgrades are not just one day before). Today morning, I received an upgrade notification for a 1,000 mile flight which is two days away.

So Medallion is definitely worth it!

Basically you get
  • Breezeway Boarding
  • 2 Checked Bag fee waivers (70 lbs each)
  • SMS -- huge benefit, usually
  • 25% bonus miles (roughly an additional 7K miles per year, depending on the amount you fly)
  • priority check-in ---which is no longer the benefit it used to be.
  • Free upgrades - any fare (domestic) ... and in my experience it actually works!
  • Free companion upgrades (K fare and above) .... never tried to upgrade a companion though, so cant tell you my success with this.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 8:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for their comments. I think I've found an MR to pick up my miles: SLC-ATL-DTW-MHT-DTW-SLC for 4,388 miles (9,766 with double miles) at a cost of $238. This would depart at 12:50 AM and get me back home at 6:30 PM the same day.

My wife thinks I'm crazy for spending the money just to pick up some miles and a stupid airline status. I think it would be an adventure!!!
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 8:56 am

I passed 25k MQM on 9/19 of this year but the system didn't sweep again and recognize the status til 9/26. I got my 25% bonus miles posted a few days after that, not at the end of the year.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
My wife thinks I'm crazy for spending the money just to pick up some miles and a stupid airline status. I think it would be an adventure!!!
When she goes on a flight with you, and you get to the airport and the standard check-in line is 60 people long and you bring her with and waltz into the medallion check-in, then check two bags for free, and then at boarding she gets to walk on board with you in zone 2, she'll start to understand...
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 11:34 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, VX, VS, UA
Thanks everybody for their comments. I think I've found an MR to pick up my miles: SLC-ATL-DTW-MHT-DTW-SLC for 4,388 miles (9,766 with double miles) at a cost of $238. This would depart at 12:50 AM and get me back home at 6:30 PM the same day.
With that many flights in such a short amount of time, sounds like there are some tight connections. Be emotionally prepared for some re-scheduling or irrops. Even if you end up just SLC-ATL-MHT or SLC-DTW-MHT round trip, you'll still make over 3,500. Earn the miles, but don't wear yourself down too much!
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 12:16 pm

I've never had an issue with Security Line priority...

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Yes, it's worth it. While you will be low on the hierarchy for upgrades, and don't officially get to use the medallion security lines (but sometimes you can),
Every Skyteam flight I've made has come with my BP's stamped "Skyteam Elite" and I've never been turned away from the elite entry point at Security
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Culrain
With that many flights in such a short amount of time, sounds like there are some tight connections. Be emotionally prepared for some re-scheduling or irrops.
Allow enough time (so if you're delayed getting home you're fine), volunteer for bumps, you might even make money on the deal.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by uavking
As for priority boarding, don't forget that this also includes Breezeway, which lets you board whenever you like via a separate line. Absolute lifesaver when you show up mid-boarding and the general line is long.
Always feel like a jerk pushing way way through the line to get to the breezeway area. And then get there and no one is manning it. And then have to cut the nice people who were waiting in their zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.