Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Now so many coach fares on Skyteam airline partners don't earn SkyMiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now so many coach fares on Skyteam airline partners don't earn SkyMiles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Greetings:

IHMO it is really hard to criticize DL on this point. So, let's kick the tires a bit. ST is actually quite good for earning MQMS/RDMs on partner carriers. Are there a few non-earners? Sure, but if you want it tough, go over to One World where lower fare QF, IB and BA fares (non-AA code share of course ), tend to earn very reduced or in certain circumstances no miles in the AA program. In *A, one has the same problem. As a matter of fact, UA folks only earn their status bonuses on US and LH TATL and on no other carrier.

One should really give ST credit here (and DL in particular), this is probably the best alliance for partner earning. YMMV

Safe Travels.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by yw_a330
KL V is probably the only one we care about.
agreed. still not sure if my flight next month, booked via the NW site will earn miles or not. it is a NW/KL flight but i booked the KL flight numbers in V pre merger. will see if i get miles/MQMs.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:25 am

This has been in effect for a while. It's not a new enhancement. I had to credit a few of my AF flights to FB a few years back because of these restrictions.

Still, SkyTeam is relatively good with parther credit compared to the others.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:35 am

It's ok, go to AA:

-No TATL flights on BA can be credited to your account (or vice/versa).
- 25% AA mileage on all but the HIGHEST 3 fares on BA.
- 30% AA mileage on all but the HIGHEST 2 fares on Iberia.
- 50 or 70% AA mileage on all but the HIGHEST 2 fares on JAL.
- 50% AA mileage on all but the HIGHEST 4 fares on Qantas.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:47 am

Ok let's look at UA:

Partial Mileage:
- 50% UA miles on 7 fares on AC
- 50% UA miles on 7 fares on Air China
- 50% UA miles on 5 fares on TAP
- 70% UA miles on the 8 fares on Shanghai Airways (only 100% on full Y)
- 25% UA miles on 6 fares on SAS
- 50% or less UA miles on all INTRA-EU COACH fares on LOT
- 50% UA miles on bottom 6 fares on LOT (international)
- 70% or 50% UA miles on all but the top 2 fares (Y/E) on international flights on ANA.
- 70% or 50% UA miles on all but the top fares (Y) on intra-Japan flights.
- 70% UA miles on the 2 fares on Asiana

No Mileage:
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 2 fares on AC
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 7 fares on AC
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 8 fares on SQ
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 3 fares on SpanAir
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 6 fares on Turkish
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 3 fares on Thai
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 2 fares on TAP
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 4 fares on Swiss
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 3 fares on South African
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 12 fares on Shanghai Airways
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 6 fares on SAS
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 3 fares on Lufthansa
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 6 fares on Croatian
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 2 fares on LOT
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 7 fares on Air New Zealand
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 8 fares on Asiana
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 12 fares on Austrian
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WBurcham

No Mileage:
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 2 fares on AC
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 7 fares on AC
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 8 fares on SQ
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 3 fares on SpanAir
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 6 fares on Turkish
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 3 fares on Thai
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 2 fares on TAP
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 4 fares on Swiss
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 3 fares on South African
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 12 fares on Shanghai Airways
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 6 fares on SAS
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 3 fares on Lufthansa
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 6 fares on Croatian
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 2 fares on LOT
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 7 fares on Air New Zealand
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 8 fares on Asiana
- 0% UA miles on the bottom 12 fares on Austrian
.......this is not true

the booking classes listed as "no mileage credit" include award, and other non-rev classes.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by blug
.......this is not true

the booking classes listed as "no mileage credit" include award, and other non-rev classes.
Ok? Your point? Similarly, the DL codes include award & non-rev classes.

I don't book enough flights on those airlines to know the difference though I doubt that 12 of Shanghai Airways flights fall under that, same with Austrian, 8 with Asiana or SQ.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1177,00.html
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:02 am

All the alliances have been very good for the airlines to fix or maintain high prices. Our Governments were not looking out for the tax payers interest. Of course the nykber of tax payers keep getting reduced (Federal)
While mileage use to be offered in most classes it has slowly gone away due to the finances involved. Mileage is now based on low fares (little or no credit) or higher fares with mileage credits.

The perks we get for alliances is slowly disappearing.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:04 am

In terms of EQM (not RDM), UA is much more generous than DL. It is said that UA offers mileage on some partner airline fare classes that the partner airline does not itself.

Well for RDM, yes DL is better, but how easy is it to use DL miles compared with UA?

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Greetings:

IHMO it is really hard to criticize DL on this point. So, let's kick the tires a bit. ST is actually quite good for earning MQMS/RDMs on partner carriers. Are there a few non-earners? Sure, but if you want it tough, go over to One World where lower fare QF, IB and BA fares (non-AA code share of course ), tend to earn very reduced or in certain circumstances no miles in the AA program. In *A, one has the same problem. As a matter of fact, UA folks only earn their status bonuses on US and LH TATL and on no other carrier.

One should really give ST credit here (and DL in particular), this is probably the best alliance for partner earning. YMMV

Safe Travels.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:30 am

In terms of EQM (not RDM), UA is much more generous than DL. It is said that UA offers mileage on some partner airline fare classes that the partner airline does not itself.

Well for RDM, yes DL is better, but how easy is it to use DL miles compared with UA?
Care to back that up with any facts?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i paid for a revenue KE V ticket. so it is paid, i suppose.
i used the same travel agent to book V class ticket from NW before.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: NWDL, AA, UA
In terms of EQM (not RDM), UA is much more generous than DL. (
Utter nonsense. Just to take one example, DL offers 150% EQM for all Business Class flights on all of its ST alliance partners.
UA offers NO bonus EQMs for all of its Star Alliance partners except for LH and US...that's right, 100% EQMs/EQPs for travel in J or even F (where available) on SQ, OS, LX, TG, AC, LO, MS, NH, OZ, SA, NZ, SK, etc.). ANd even with LH, you only get 150% EQM in Mileage Plus for TATL flights, but not other international LH flights....
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold

Spoken like someone with absolutely no experience with UA or *A generally.

More important with regards to *A is that, in addition to the lousy earnings on coach tickets, you have little to no idea how much a codeshare earns. Book a UA codeshare on LH from FRA to JNB (if they offer one) and you don't really know ahead of time whether it will fall into one of the excluded fare codes.

DL's earning rules may be annoying, but they are also much more easily worked around by booking codeshares. The recent expansion of codeshares with KL will only help with this.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Care to back that up with any facts?
No matter where you go you can find some UA partner airlines to earm EQM on deeply discounted coach. These airlines include OZ, LH, LX, CA, NH, AC, SK, SA, BD, US, and possibly others. My impression is that UA offers EQM on any paid fare on these carriers, but I may be wrong.

And DL: when I try a search for PEK-LHR round trip, I got a $1000+ fare on KL, which is V.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by BigPicture
Utter nonsense. Just to take one example, DL offers 150% EQM for all Business Class flights on all of its ST alliance partners.
UA offers NO bonus EQMs for all of its Star Alliance partners except for LH and US...that's right, 100% EQMs/EQPs for travel in J or even F (where available) on SQ, OS, LX, TG, AC, LO, MS, NH, OZ, SA, NZ, SK, etc.). ANd even with LH, you only get 150% EQM in Mileage Plus for TATL flights, but not other international LH flights....
Sorry for confusion but I was talking about deeply discounted coach which is what many people care most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.