FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Now so many coach fares on Skyteam airline partners don't earn SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1005266-now-so-many-coach-fares-skyteam-airline-partners-dont-earn-skymiles.html)

dusdidt Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Now so many coach fares on Skyteam airline partners don't earn SkyMiles

Under the new "better" Delta SkyMiles program, so many SkyTeam Airline Partner coach fares now don't earn SkyMiles. It is terrible and a devaluation of Delta SkyMiles program!! All partners now have many non earning coach fares. One has to be very careful now before purchasing a SkyTeam airline ticket because one can be earning NO miles at all or miles on flights going but not on the return flights depending on the booking codes of each flight segment. The difference between a fare earning SkyMiles and a fare not earning Skymiles can be as little as $100.
Often one doesn't get to see the booking codes of each flight when one is booking online. I find the only certain way now is to use a travel agent to determine what code my flights are booked in and what are the cheapest fare earning miles and those not earning miles. Delta SkyMiles has become too complicated with pitfalls.

Here are just a few samples from the small print in Delta's SkyMile Airline Partner page. Check before you buy a SkyTeam ticket.

Air France: Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in A, L, N, O, G, or X class,

KLM: Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in D, G, E, V, N or W class.

Aeroflot: Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in O, X, L, N, or E class

Korean: Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in B, G, N, Q, A, D, U, X, or V class.

DukieDrew Oct 12, 2009 10:31 pm

Aren't some of these fare classes award buckets?

mrcimino1 Oct 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by DukieDrew (Post 12616616)

For KLM, D and W are Award Ticket buckets. D is also the bucket that upgrades to the front cabin using miles draw from, but those have always earned miles based on the paid fare basis.

I don't know for sure about the other airlines.

izzik Oct 12, 2009 10:49 pm

I think the A fare for AF will have to change.. isn't that Prem Econ?

itsaboutthejourney Oct 12, 2009 11:25 pm

I don't like how delta.dumb has footnotes for each partner that you have to click or scroll to the bottom to see exemptions or which earn 150%... nwa.com had it all in one clear/straightforward place. :td:

dsniceday322 Oct 12, 2009 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 12616963)
I don't like how delta.dumb has footnotes for each partner that you have to click or scroll to the bottom to see exemptions or which earn 150%... nwa.com had it all in one clear/straightforward place. :td:

+1...

and OP You forgot China Southern..which is also notrious for not offering miles on many (most i guess) of its Y fairs.

dusdidt Oct 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by DukieDrew (Post 12616616)

No. Definately no. Some are published fares that could be purchased on Air Frances own website. I was looking at a NYC-Lisbon round trip for Nov. 2009 on Air France with my travel agent. The cheapest published fare was $771.80 with "V" going earning miles and "N" return not earning miles. My agent changed the return booking code to "V" and the fare earning all miles was $882.

There are published fares not earning miles. One has to be careful now.

discstickers Oct 12, 2009 11:49 pm

I think this has more to do with the partner airline not wanting to pay DL for the miles.

dusdidt Oct 12, 2009 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by mrcimino1 (Post 12616686)
For KLM, D and W are Award Ticket buckets. D is also the bucket that upgrades to the front cabin using miles draw from, but those have always earned miles based on the paid fare basis.

I don't know for sure about the other airlines.

The fares I have come across are not award or bucket booking codes.
I was formerly a travel agent and have recently tried working up different economy coach published fares on all these SkyTeam partners at a friend's travel agency using agency computers. The fares I got were the same that one would get if one purchased them on the airline's website execpt I could see all the booking codes and fare base codes immediately. These are economy coach fares booking codes that are published fares. Many of the economy fares that one got SkyMiles before, now don't qualify for miles with the new program.

KVS Oct 13, 2009 12:16 am

Originally Posted by dusdidt (Post 12616428)
Air France: Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in A, L, N, O, G, or X class,

O/X are award booking classes.
A is included in-error (it used to be the F award class).
N is one of the lowest.
O/G are most likely group/non-rev classes.

KLM: Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in D, G, E, V, N or W class.

D/W are award booking classes.
V/N/E are some of the lowest.
G is most likely a group class.

Aeroflot: Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in O, X, L, N, or E class

O/X are award booking classes.
L is one of the lowest.
N is the group/charter class.
E is most likely a non-revenue class.

Korean: Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in B, G, N, Q, A, D, U, X, or V class.

A/D/U are award booking classes.
B/G/N/Q/X/V not sure.

(http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes)

GenevaFlyer Oct 13, 2009 12:46 am

Hi KVS,

Originally Posted by KVS (Post 12617332)
For AF:
A/O/X are award booking classes.
(http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes)

Not anymore ...

A is now the Alize or discount Premium Voyageur. (Since AF doesn't do standard F awards any more, only flex awards, they re-used the A fare class for premium economy).

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

KVS Oct 13, 2009 1:01 am

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer (Post 12617466)
A is now the Alize or discount Premium Voyageur. (Since AF doesn't do standard F awards any more, only flex awards, they re-used the A fare class for premium economy).

Updated -- thanks for the info!

3Cforme Oct 13, 2009 5:52 am

Originally Posted by dusdidt (Post 12617081)
One has to be careful now.

One is pretty quick with the devaluation accusation. KVS picks apart the argument thoroughly. One had to be careful before the FF program merger, too, as there were lots of exceptions to earning both in SkyMiles and WorldPerks.

What airline & classes used to be mileage earning before 10/1/09 that no longer are?

woody125 Oct 13, 2009 6:17 am

These fares don't even earn credit on Aeroflot so why would they earn credit on Delta?

Indeed, one must be careful but it is our responsibility to know this stuff, right? That's my take anyway...

yw_a330 Oct 13, 2009 6:17 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 12618606)
What airline & classes used to be mileage earning before 10/1/09 that no longer are?

KL V is probably the only one we care about.