Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Direct Ticketing Charges - Platinum waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct Ticketing Charges - Platinum waiver

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:37 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Absolute stupidity

Was on the phone with SM this morning for a good 1/2 hour booking three award tickets to Alaska when the agent's computer froze. OK, that happens.

Called back, spent at least 1/2 hour on the phone booking again. At the end, the agent said there would be a $60 direct ticketing charge ($20 x 3). I said that I thought such charge was waived for platinums as of Oct 1st. She was puzzled, saying the computer usually takes that into account. I was put on hold for a good 4-5 minutes while she checked. Then she came back and said they would waive it for me but not for my two traveling companions. I am one of the travelers.

Come on, Delta, your fees SUCK.

So what will I do? Book what I can on delta.com, call DL to make changes and not have any ticketing fee. Creates MORE work for them and they get $0. I can't say I am sad one bit.

Why would I not just pay the $40 since my time is also valuable? Out of principle. Booking 1 or 7 people in the same PNR requires absolutely no additional work.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It has always been my understanding that the rules apply to the account that the miles are coming from. So if I book a ticket for a non-Medallion with my miles and am not traveling then I can cancel or change it for free after 3/1 or using one of my two waivers. This thread is a bit confusing especially since some people may have had different experiences based on being nice to the agent.

Is the definitive answer that the Medallion has to be traveling to get the benefit?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:06 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
It has always been my understanding that the rules apply to the account that the miles are coming from.
Is the definitive answer that the Medallion has to be traveling to get the benefit?
That is the spirit of the program rules. If it based on the travelling passenger, I will start getting all my trips from my kids accounts and sending them on my account to far away places.

The account is what decides. A pax with a PM/DM status who books for another pax, SHOULD get all fees waived (like on AA / UA / CO / US).

If a PM / DM is travelling with miles from another pax account (non status) then all fees apply. (The non status pax is using the miles from a non-status account for travel of a premium PAX). It is incidental that the travelling pax has status and may have other perks (like upgrades on award travel).

e.g., I booked US miles on UA economy to SYD. I was also a 2P and was allowed to choose Economy Plus, after I added the UA number to my reservation.

Last edited by ffI; Feb 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So if I book a ticket for a non-Medallion with my miles and am not traveling then I can cancel or change it for free after 3/1 or using one of my two waivers.
That is correct. Did both last week.

Originally Posted by ffI
The account is what decides. A pax with a PM/DM status who books for another pax, SHOULD get all fees waived (like on AA / UA / CO / US).
That's the way it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.