Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Do you tip at the Sky Club?" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Do you tip at the Sky Club?" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

There are times I would like to tip the skyclub agents at the front desk who help me out. The ATL club agent last weekend helped me out by getting me on another flight when my flight was really delayed and got me confirmed into a seat in first and kept me protected on my original flight in case something did happen it would leave before the flight I was rebooked on. I would rather tip someone that spends 10 minutes doing something like that than someone who gets me a diet coke I would rather pour myself.
Absolutely
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by injera
I tip bartenders regardless of location (exception being weddings, or events where the host has paid a gratuity already) but do not/would not tip a shower attendant.
While he probably doesnt have a six figure job I would wager the shower attendant isn't being paid $2.13 an hour with the expectation that the rest comes from tips.
I'd imagine the shower attendants earn something close to minimum wage and therefore technically aren't dependent on tips like their colleagues behind the bar. That said, I tip hotel housekeepers, so why not lounge shower attendants?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MS02113
I'd imagine the shower attendants earn something close to minimum wage and therefore technically aren't dependent on tips like their colleagues behind the bar. That said, I tip hotel housekeepers, so why not lounge shower attendants?
See, I don't tip hotel housekeepers since learning that the ones at the property where I worked made far more than minimum wage. As a bellman/valet making about $2.15/hr, it was a strange feeling to go up to a one-nighter's room and see them leave a $20 for housekeeping while loading their luggage, then haul everything downstairs, load up their car, give them directions and a bottle of water, run back inside for something they forgot, and then have them stuff $2 in your palm before driving away.

More evidence that housekeeping didn't expect tips as part of their compensation: while doormen/valets/bellmen all pooled tips and specifically had to report them when we clocked out of each shift, housekeepers had no such pooling/reporting process. They just pocketed whatever a guest left for them and then it was on them to track and report it on their taxes.

I suppose that's an argument for paying livable wages to everyone and getting out of the whole culture of tipping. And while that's fine and great, it doesn't solve the riddle of what one ought to do while such a culture is still in place.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Dia, KM, 2MM, Hilton Dia, Natl Emer Exec. Avis Pres.
I'm in the $1 tip camp for each drink in the crown room.
Here is what happened last night in A17 CR.
I was sitting at the bar - set precedent with 1st 2 drinks - leaving $1 each time.
Then I order #3. No more singles so I lay a $5 on the bar and ask her to break it.
She takes it and says Thanks and walks away. and does not return with my singles.
Sort of bummed out but look at it as paying it forward - on my way back to ATL right now and hope I get same server....
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by hortkie
I'm in the $1 tip camp for each drink in the crown room.
Here is what happened last night in A17 CR.
I was sitting at the bar - set precedent with 1st 2 drinks - leaving $1 each time.
Then I order #3. No more singles so I lay a $5 on the bar and ask her to break it.
She takes it and says Thanks and walks away. and does not return with my singles.
Sort of bummed out but look at it as paying it forward - on my way back to ATL right now and hope I get same server....
Bummer .... perhaps she misunderstood you? .... if so (or if not), I would have asked for my change; the entire $5 as five $1 bills. Then depending on what the server's attitude was I may leave a $1 .... or not.

I am also in the $1 tip per drink category and I've had to break a $5 (or even a $20) before .... but I've never had anyone walk away without giving me my change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.