Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Do you tip at the Sky Club?" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Do you tip at the Sky Club?" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrianATL
I always tip them for alcohol.
If it's the alcohol versus no alcohol is the determining factor, do you tip an FA when he/she serves you an alcoholic drink?
I am trying to understand how the rationalisation of not tipping when you order coke or water but you must tip when asking for alcohol, evolve.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platiamond SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond
tip ?? fire the staff & install a beer machine

I resent having to wait ( why are they called waiter when it's me who's doing the waiting for the drink ?) for the staff to get around to pouring my drink in US airport lounges.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
This is a silly discussion. Of course one should never "tip" staff at a private club. In fact, staff at private clubs would decline such tips. I'm glad to see that Delta keeps the staff at the clubs, but, for the life of me, I can't imagine why they're encouraging them to beg for tips. It's pretty revolting.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, DL Gold, CO Gold, HH Gold, Starwood Gold
I will tip once per club visit at the bar on my first drink but not each time I get a drink. The amount of time I am held hostage in the club and the number of drinks I anticipate consuming determine the tip amount. I also tend to tip more if the crowd is small in the club and the service is good.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by orsum
I resent having to wait ( why are they called waiter when it's me who's doing the waiting for the drink ?) for the staff to get around to pouring my drink in US airport lounges.
Good one. Waiter is someone who causes you wait. Unfortunately English does not have causative forms of verbs, hence the confusion.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by avidflyer
You don't tip FA's? That is just plain rude.
That was a rhetorical question.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
DO you tip at a normal bar or eatery?
Yes, I will tip. Usually at least 20%. But I don't pay an annual fee to eat or drink there either do I, as others have said.

In the club, I've paid a fee to come in and have the benefits. NO, I don't plan to pay again, because that is what a tip is.

Dave
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Tipping a bartender is customary. If y'all want to say it is not, then I am not going to even attempt to argue that one.

The issue I found odd was that one of the posters stated and a few others followed up with the reason they would not tip is because when they got their NW membership, it was self pour, therefore, they will not tip the bartender in the Crown Room.

No one is saying you have to tip them.

I really do not care if you do or you don't.

It is this steadfast defiance of change that is the most interesting thing I find out of this argument...
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Tipping a bartender is customary. If y'all want to say it is not, then I am not going to even attempt to argue that one.

The issue I found odd was that one of the posters stated and a few others followed up with the reason they would not tip is because when they got their NW membership, it was self pour, therefore, they will not tip the bartender in the Crown Room.

No one is saying you have to tip them.

I really do not care if you do or you don't.

It is this steadfast defiance of change that is the most interesting thing I find out of this argument...
I only see steadfast defiance of NEGATIVE change. I'm sure we would all welcome positive change.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Yaatri
That was a rhetorical question.
More like facetious but same difference. I tip (NOT FA's!) but do not think I should be ordered or guilt-ed into tipping. If it truly is mandatory then charge me for the drinks separately from the membership.

I will say that tipping a bartender in a bar or restaurant is completely different. They are paid hourly based on the fact that they get tips (very low..$4.00 an hour or something). SkyClub employees are making a good (relative) salary and are not paid based on tips.

If I were a betting man (and by that I mean I absolutely am a betting man) I would guess that none of the SC bartender/Attendants are claiming said tips on their 1040...
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by ADLFO
I only see steadfast defiance of NEGATIVE change. I'm sure we would all welcome positive change.
Having someone pour your drinks vs grabbing a bottle Johnny Pickernose and Sammy Swine Flu muddled?

Come on now....
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Having someone pour your drinks vs grabbing a bottle Johnny Pickernose and Sammy Swine Flu muddled?

Come on now....
Some people worry about such things. I don't. I think there's an equally high chance that the bartenders are unhygienic or ill, anyway.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond

Come on now....
Yeah, having experienced both, I don't really see having a full service bar as a negative improvement. I enjoy sitting at the bar and BSing with the bartender as I order my drinks. Spending every week in a hotel or on a plane by myself, I enjoy this little bit of social interaction.

Not to mention that Self Serve doesn't necessarily mean no lines. I seemed to always end up behind the guy who would painstakingly pour his drink, then stop right at the head of the line, mix it, try it out, adjust it, mix it, sip it, adust it, and so on...
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Yeah, having experienced both, I don't really see having a full service bar as a negative improvement. I enjoy sitting at the bar and BSing with the bartender as I order my drinks. Spending every week in a hotel or on a plane by myself, I enjoy this little bit of social interaction.

Not to mention that Self Serve doesn't necessarily mean no lines. I seemed to always end up behind the guy who would painstakingly pour his drink, then stop right at the head of the line, mix it, try it out, adjust it, mix it, sip it, adust it, and so on...
+1
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
$1.00 per drink all the time, every time. I once had an experience in a JFK lounge where the bartender said she couldnt accept a tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.