Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VB = cash,free ticket right?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
Unhappy VB = cash,free ticket right?

If I take avoluntary bump on Delta,I am I right that compensation will be cash towards future travel or a free ticket?That's what I got on NW in the past.Unfortunately didn't know what I was doing and took the ticket which couldn't be used at peak time when I wanted to go away.Got to use it as $250.I also flew first class after the bump.So just for the last leg.What method would you use to bump and then book first class with proceeds of compensation?Or am I off in left field.Please advise.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
New policy is a minimum of $400 vouchers good for use on future travel. Delta/Northwest do not do free tickets anymore. The vouchers are just like cash when it comes to purchasing tickets and can be used at any time.

Getting first class is no guarentee in a bump. It is at the discretion of the agent, but they are not required to upgrade your class of service. If you insist on a class-of-service upgrade, the GA can say thanks-but-no-thanks and go to the next person on the list.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
DL will not give cash for a voluntary bump. It'll be in the form of vouchers.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
Talking more ?'s

Thanks,I realize it's not actual cash.So I would just use the "cash voucher" to purchase my ticket for first class if I chose correct.I like the $400 amount.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:12 pm

I'm not sure it's always $400 tho. In my experience on shorter flights, tampa to atlanta or salt lake to san fran, the comp is $200. There has been one instance of $400 for that distance and that was because the arrival would be the following day.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iamfrugal
Thanks,I realize it's not actual cash.So I would just use the "cash voucher" to purchase my ticket for first class if I chose correct.I like the $400 amount.
The amount is indeed up to $400 minumum, and this is negotiable. You can use your voucher to purchase any DL/DL Connection flight on Delta.com or via telephone/TA for a fee. $400 will likely not suffice for an F fare. I'm also a little confused by your OP. Are you saying you're attempting to use the bump voucher to book yourself into F class on the next available flight? That would be a capricious and ill-conceived use of a voucher if you ask me. The GA will almost always put you in F if there is F availability and you ask them politely.

Look at T fares, for instance, from JFK-IST (just for example). Look how far your voucher can take you. But this is, of course, assuming your flight is actually overbooked.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I think they start at $200 (depending on length of trip) and go up from there if they have no volunteers.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
Originally Posted by reddawngrl
I'm not sure it's always $400 tho. In my experience on shorter flights, tampa to atlanta or salt lake to san fran, the comp is $200. There has been one instance of $400 for that distance and that was because the arrival would be the following day.
Could it be that mainline starts at $400, but subsidiaries start less?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Smailtronic
Could it be that mainline starts at $400, but subsidiaries start less?
No. There was a thread about this seveal weeks ago. I also inquired about this to some trusty gate agents, and they verified. VDB's should now start at $400. If someone offers you $200, tell them to read their memos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.