Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Transit through US (return leg) - issues?

Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi all

I'm hoping to visit Havana over Christmas. I have a bunch of flight credits to use up for various airlines, and the best combination (I live in Canada) appears to be AIr Canada (YYC to HAV) for the outbound leg and United (HAV-IAD-DEN-YVR) for the return leg. I have a couple of questions regarding this.

Firstly, my understanding is that I don't have to worry about US travel/visa requirements to enter Cuba as I am arriving directly from Canada. Is this correct?

Secondly, are there likely to be any issues or additional considerations due to transiting through the US on the return leg? I have an ESTA for entry to the US. I assume the normal requirements re support for the cuban people etc will not apply as I am only transiting through the US on the return leg.

Can anyone please confirm?

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

USA does not have the concept of transit. (airside or landside). You fully enter USA with all that entails.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I've just realized that there is a pretty major issue with Cuba being on the state-sponsored terrorism list. Looks like I would not be able to enter the US using my ESTA if I visit Cuba. Crazy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.