Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

What U.S. airline will be the First to fly to Cuba? Which flies there now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What U.S. airline will be the First to fly to Cuba? Which flies there now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
What some do not seem to understand is that, for the inmates, Guantanamo conditions are far better than those in facilities on the other side of the fence.
Like being abused in a more expensive facility for prisoners has always been better than being locked up for no good reason in a cheaper facility for prisoners.

For what it's worth or not, GTMO isn't where people sent to be "disappeared" are currently. The other side of the fence in Cuba has people who are "disappeared", but then again other countries not subject to these kind of U.S. sanctions also have some currently "disappeared".
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Which alliance has the most flights into Cuba?
Not sure, but Star Alliance is well represented with Air Canada serving 6 destinations non-stop from multiple gateways in Canada.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Not sure, but Star Alliance is well represented with Air Canada serving 6 destinations non-stop from multiple gateways in Canada.
Skyteam and Star Alliance have more carriers flying into Cuba than Oneworld.

Aeromexico has more flights to Cuba than Air Canada?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Crucial question: Does it have a cigar room? Something along the lines of EY's cigar room in AUH would be just fine. Never have I wanted more time in an airport…
HAV has a lounge, but trust me, it's no great shakes. It's more like a small room with a service counter with some limited offerings; it gets crowded. Cigar room? I don't think so.

But if the Obama move is accepted, one will be able to bring back $400 worth of goods, including a miserly $100 of tobacco products. Not too many Cuban H. Upmanns with that restriction.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Crucial question: Does it have a cigar room? Something along the lines of EY's cigar room in AUH would be just fine. Never have I wanted more time in an airport…
Originally Posted by JDiver
HAV has a lounge, but trust me, it's no great shakes. It's more like a small room with a service counter with some limited offerings; it gets crowded. Cigar room? I don't think so.

But if the Obama move is accepted, one will be able to bring back $400 worth of goods, including a miserly $100 of tobacco products. Not too many Cuban H. Upmanns with that restriction.
I sincerely hope that talk of which champagne is served does not follow. Some threads fill up pages !
For the majority of American tourists there will be so much to see , experience and talk about !
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: UA1K
with the announcement today, will one be able to bring $100 worth of cuban cigars back from say, a duty free shop in europe?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by haddon90
with the announcement today, will one be able to bring $100 worth of cuban cigars back from say, a duty free shop in europe?
I should hope so. That's barely two cigars though.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Question more important is when flights on partner airlines to/from Cuba will be allowed to earn miles on U.S. airlines (in my case, WS flights in AA and DL FFPs). Is that something that the U.S. congress will have to permit (in which case I doubt anything will come of it for the next 2+ years)?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:12 am

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Question more important is when flights on partner airlines to/from Cuba will be allowed to earn miles on U.S. airlines (in my case, WS flights in AA and DL FFPs). Is that something that the U.S. congress will have to permit (in which case I doubt anything will come of it for the next 2+ years)?
I have always received miles on UA MP when flying CM from PTY to HAV. When MX still existed and was part of *A, I also received UA MP miles for flights from from MEX to HAV. However, when MX joined OW, AA did not permit the miles to accrue to my FF account. Based on my research, I think that mileage accrual is not prohibited, but AA has chosen not to let its members accrue miles for partner flights to Cuba. Hopefully, this will soon change.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by haddon90
on another thread on this Cuba forum (concerning Cuban rum in transit - aka in bond) thru the USA on the way to Europe it was stated the rum could be confiscated because of the SOURCE of the rum - Cuba. Any difference with Cuban cigars from Europe being confiscated - if they exceed the limit? OR am I missing something here?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
So what needs to happen before US airlines can move from charters to scheduled service?

I believe I read somewhere that there needs to be a new bilateral aviation agreement between the US and Cuba. Is that true, and if so, does anyone have a sense of how long such negotiations might take, and do the Rs in Congress have the ability to stymie that?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, with Pres. Raúl Castro's statement in Costa Rica today that before Cuba accepts normalization the U. S. must end the embargo ("el bloqueo") and must return Guantánamo Bay to the "Cuban people" indicates this might take a little longer than some of us may have thought.

You're correct in assessing the current Congress might be a tad reluctant with those demands being a condition of normalization.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Well, with Pres. Raúl Castro's statement in Costa Rica today that before Cuba accepts normalization the U. S. must end the embargo ("el bloqueo") and must return Guantánamo Bay to the "Cuban people" indicates this might take a little longer than some of us may have thought.

You're correct in assessing the current Congress might be a tad reluctant with those demands being a condition of normalization.
Yes but these are opening high demands. US will not give up Gitmo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.