Have cruises got just to inexpensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have cruises got just to inexpensive?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
So what sort of nasty behaviors have you witnessed while slumming it with the steerage on a cheap cruise?

As far as I'm concerned, if you're rich or upper class enough to care or even notice the different "classes" of people on the ship, then why don't you do us all a favor and have your afternoon tea on a pricier ship. No one wants to listen to you talk about your stock portfolio anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:31 pm
Suspended

OH dear Seems the OP has succeeded in initiating another of his devisive class conscious threads again.

When will they ever learn the meaning of that wonderful word ignore.

mike
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:13 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by greenery

Does anyone else miss the good old days of cruising?
Uhhhh... no. I very much like my rock climbing walls, waterslides, ice skating rink, miniture golf, and surfing machines on my ship... if it means sailing with the working class, so be it... It's not like I'm gonna catch something fatal and die from them. But like other have stated, there are upscale cruise lines out there, have you checked out Cunard's Queen Mary 2? It is, after all, the world's 2nd largest passenger ship and soon to be the 3rd largest. Maybe next time you sail on these so call "budget" cruises, you should like fill out a comment card and shove it up your, err, I mean, in the ship's suggestion box.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QM2 Queen Grill Suite (ranges $5300>$23500pp for 6 day Westbound transatlantic) (from $1800/night total)

Starting at about $1K per person per night.. That's the price point Seabourn originally had, but they've since lowered it.

I had no idea the top level on Cunard was that expensive.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 21, 2006 at 11:52 am
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
OH dear Seems the OP has succeeded in initiating another of his devisive class conscious threads again.

When will they ever learn the meaning of that wonderful word ignore.

mike
done and done. thanks for the reminder ^
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Good call.....The OP has begun 158 threads and I'm impressed with how many hits most receive. Guess FT just ain't as classy the glory years.

So greenery....let us know if you move up from your latest cruise.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I will admit that I love to play all of the status games that get me into airline first class, and fancy hotel upgrades, as often as possible, hopefully, on the cheapest deal possible. I guess that means I have haunted FlyerTalk for far too long.

We are new cruisers, however, and have, to date, only sailed on Princess. We have loved every cruise we have taken, even those that were fully booked, and we have never felt crowded. While they may have existed somewhere, I never notice any undesireable types at my table, on the dance floor, in the gym, or in my bed, (maybe they were all in the bars or gambling) so why would I worry?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Oh dear!

Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Yes, and sometimes the fun was sneaking "upstairs" to see how the richer half lived - and particularly how they ate! Afternoon tea on deck in first class was an incredible experience not to be missed, particularly if you didn't belong there and weren't caught.
On the QE2 when she was traveling in 'classes' there were no barriers to keep people separated, so you good go watch the 'other half' up to a point. You couldn't go anywhere near the Grills, but you could visit and use the big public rooms. The primary difference so far as I could tell about the 'classes' was attire and age. Generally the younger folk were in the bottom class. Decades younger!
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold,Amex Cent,IC RA,HH Diamond,Marriott Gold,Hyatt Dia,LH FTL,CX Diam,FB Plat
@greenery

Perhaps you should book a Cunard ship?I think they`re still expensive enough.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by mpattdu
So what sort of nasty behaviors have you witnessed while slumming it with the steerage on a cheap cruise?
Take a look at this video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...96904912739346

And this quote directly off Cruise Critic, referring to the video.
"IF I were a snob I would say that is exactly what happens when you advertise low fares to attract new customers. You attract the kind of people who normally wouldn't cruise, or at least cruise a certain line."

The OP is not the only one questioning whether cruises have become too inexpensive. It is a frequent topic on Cruise Critic, especially in relation to the dress code.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow.. i had no clue. another reason i wont be going on a ship larger than regent
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:58 am

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
Originally Posted by greatam
They should've started tossing them overboard one by one. What a nightmare.

As a 30-something solo traveler though I like the low cruise fares, especially when the single supplement is 200%. I cruise during the school year to avoid too many kids. After seeing this, I'd take the little ones any day.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
wow.. i had no clue. another reason i wont be going on a ship larger than regent
Has nothing to do with the size of the ship. You would NOT find this behavior on QM2. Really, REALLY has to do with the cost of the cruise. $4000 on Regent/Cunard vs $700 on RCCL or Princess or Carnival.

College kids can afford $700.00. So can others, who then ABSOLUTELY refuse to comply with the ship's dress code on formal evenings. Some of them know no better and evidently can't read the pre cruise documentation-NO JEANS after 6:00, FORMAL attire (not casual clothes).

But a great majority have now taken cruising to the lowest common denominator-get drunk, act like an A***, let the kiddies run wild in the ship, and show up for dinner dressed for yard work. Kind of like Fourth of July at the Colorado River-PAAAARTY!!!! And the real shame-it is usually the ones who have at least a little money and flaunt it that cause the most havoc.

Case in point-CEO of an East Coast company showed up in Princess Grill on QE2 with his entourage in January 2006 in his JEANS. First night he was allowed in (due to "luggage issue"). Second night (formal night)-was denied entrance and you should have heard the ruckus. They actually had to call security. Thank goodness, we never saw his party again.

I have a house on the Colorado River. If I want to see PAAARTY, all I have to do is look out my front window. I DON'T want that on a cruise. It is sooo sad-my options for cruising have now become very limited.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't afford Queens Grill :P

GREAT story re the CEO. Heard it on Seabourn from a couple who was on that cruise with you

I'd rather go with Silversea or Seabourn for Alaska, but Regent starts at $2500.. Hard to pay almost double for Silversea, and who knows how much more when Seabourn starts that itin again.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by greatam
Take a look at this video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...96904912739346

And this quote directly off Cruise Critic, referring to the video.
"IF I were a snob I would say that is exactly what happens when you advertise low fares to attract new customers. You attract the kind of people who normally wouldn't cruise, or at least cruise a certain line."

The OP is not the only one questioning whether cruises have become too inexpensive. It is a frequent topic on Cruise Critic, especially in relation to the dress code.
That was quite a video, but I wouldn't call it a riot as it was labeled. Just looked like lots of teenagers and twentsomethings acting stupid after over imbibing. I've seen many an adult act just as stupid. And on a cruise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.