Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Pets will be allowed on cruises soon, good news?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I understand that the cruise ship industry has been seriously considering allowing cats and dogs to be allowed on board cruise ships. I say it is long overdue!

If someone had suggested ten years ago that most of the top hotel chains would allow guests to bring their cats and dogs into their rooms, people would have said you were crazy. Not anymore. Now a good percentage of people bring their dogs and cats with them on vacation and bring them into their Sheraton or Hilton hotel rooms for the night.

It is time that cruise lines allow dogs and cats just like hotels.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Unbelievable! Now I'll have to drop cruising from my list of vacation options or look for pet-free cruises.

I have serious pet allergies, as do some significant percent (5-10 maybe) of the human population. Does the cruise industry need to do this to fill cabins? AFAIK, they've been doing quite well without this. I predict a low turnout of pets due to the need for most cruisers to fly their pets to the port and ultimate reversal when someone wins a $10,000,000 award when they sue a cruiseline after slipping on dogwaste and breaking a leg.

And I'm so pleased to get to post early and then ignore this topic as it will inevitably deteriorate into the pet-child war that takes place in any pet or child related post.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Let me walk your pooch for you. oops ((SPLASH))
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Seriously, no one can take their dog for a walk in a place where it can relieve itself off the boat.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by drbond
Seriously, no one can take their dog for a walk in a place where it can relieve itself off the boat.
OK, I'm back because drbond usually gives me a chuckle.

Seriously, I'm picturing a patch of cultivated grass on an upper deck heavily peppered with tightly coiled piles stinking to high heaven in the tropical heat.
Bad idea all-round.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Are my thoughts really that much different than yours?

:-: HEY 1000 woohoo ^
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:43 pm

As long as they are toliet trained and do not shed or try to lick me, I have no problem with it.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:50 pm
Suspended

I do not want to:
Hear them
Smell them
Feel them
Taste them
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:51 pm
Suspended

I do not want to be in a room where one has been, nor smell their food or other accessories.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:30 pm

Don't plan on a Transatlantic QE2 or QM2 cruise. Both ships have kennels. Dogs and cats are not allowed in the cabins, but they are allowed on the ship.

I saved miles for a long time to take 5 dogs (Labs) and 2 people on AF Concorde. Dogs of any size other than extra large like English Mastiffs/Great Danes were allowed in the cabin if you paid full price. I was going to bring everyone back on the QE2. Then the horrible Concorde accident and AF changed the rules.

Some of us just love our "kids". But I don't think it is a good idea to let everyone take their pets on cruise ships. I am sure someone's Muffy or Buffy will fall overboard or something unfortunate will happen to one of the pets. Not to mention allergic pax and lawsuits waiting to happen.

Other than the transatlantics already mentioned, and MAYBE a specialty line like EasyCruise or maybe one of the luxury lines, I can't see mainstream cruiselines allowing pets on board.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Pets should be left at home or with a sitter.

wait for it....
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I guess I've been staying in different hotels than the OP, but I have yet to see any moderate- to high-end chain places that allow pets. ANY.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:43 am
Suspended

Decent hotels do not allow pets? then Decent cruise lines should not either. I do understand the part one poster saying that the cruise line provided a kennel (baggage compartment) for the animals on the ship. That would not bother me. I just don't want their barking mutt keeping me up or having to see their pet on board. I don't have to go down to the kennel, so that is a good place for them. I would never dream of carrying a pet on a trip with me. That is just not understandable.

....still waiting....
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Pets should be left at home or with a sitter.

wait for it....

Have pets, love 'em to bits. No way I'd subject them to this.

We travel, they stay home and a nice lady visits twice a day.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:43 am

Decent hotels do not allow pets? then Decent cruise lines should not either. I do understand the part one poster saying that the cruise line provided a kennel (baggage compartment) for the animals on the ship. That would not bother me. I just don't want their barking mutt keeping me up or having to see their pet on board. I don't have to go down to the kennel, so that is a good place for them. I would never dream of carrying a pet on a trip with me. That is just not understandable.

....still waiting....
DEFINITELY NOT the baggage compartment. In fact, the kennels on the QE2 are on one of the higher decks, down the hall from some of the best suites.

Does Cunard offer a Kennel programme?

Queen Mary 2s kennel programme is available on all crossings between New York and Southampton in either direction, and is overseen by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ships 12 spacious kennels. Travelling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack and other animal amenities.The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling passengers to spend significant time with their pet. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on space availability. Contact Cunard for fees and additional requirements.

There are numerous upscale and chain hotels in NYC where pets are allowed.

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=1442

Some even provide special amenities for pets.

http://www.affinia.com/pets/index.cfm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.