Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

ResidenSea?

ResidenSea?

Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:15 am
Original Poster

ResidenSea?

I tried to do a search, but didn't see any posts about ResidenSea (The World). Has anyone experienced it, either joining the ship for a limited time period or as a resident?

Would love to hear any feedback about it.

Susan
Old Oct 6, 2004, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The sale of short term cruises has been terminated

The high dollar paying owners hated having the short timers on board. The owners bought out all the ownership and now run it as an exclusive property at sea. I've seen this ship in port, but haven't been on board. Doubt that I ever will with the new ownership.

Many of the high dollar paying owners bought their share of the ship as they believed the security to be better than on regular cruise ships. When the semi-common folk came on board, they felt their security was challenged. Also there were social problems when the short timers took (apparently) too much advantage of the free wine and booze.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the interesting info. Funny, because the website still shows options for joining the ship for short periods, albeit quite pricey.

Susan
Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:01 am

A stupid question, which ResidenSea never seems to answer on their website:

If they talk about "residing" on the ship, and treating it as home/real estate... do the amenities of the ship include a school?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
The high dollar paying owners hated having the short timers on board. The owners bought out all the ownership and now run it as an exclusive property at sea. I've seen this ship in port, but haven't been on board. Doubt that I ever will with the new ownership.

Many of the high dollar paying owners bought their share of the ship as they believed the security to be better than on regular cruise ships. When the semi-common folk came on board, they felt their security was challenged. Also there were social problems when the short timers took (apparently) too much advantage of the free wine and booze.
The owners don’t sound like the type of people I would want to associate with so the feeling is mutual.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
right-o!

Originally Posted by Cholula
The owners don’t sound like the type of people I would want to associate with so the feeling is mutual.
They didn't look too friendly when I looked at the ship from the dock. The Travel Channel runs a program (several years old) on this ship now and then. It's worth trying to TIVO.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
.. but soon (2009) you will have the Magellan completed, and then
you can buy 1-month timeshare units with all the other "common folk".

Check out searesidences.com
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you can take cruises on the world.. if they had problems with that in the past, they no longer do. an FTer has done so.

Exclusive Resorts also has something like 5 2BR properties onboard for members to use.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
I know a couple who own on the Residensea. The owners really are a community. The couple I know are lovely and I would very much enjoy cruising along side them, however I can see how having batches of new people who are very short term and who don't know anyone for introductions....could be a misfit. Owners really consider this their home. This couple returns to their land home on occasion to touch base but have very much enjoyed becoming friends with people from all over the world.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Sprite
I know a couple who own on the Residensea. The owners really are a community. The couple I know are lovely and I would very much enjoy cruising along side them, however I can see how having batches of new people who are very short term and who don't know anyone for introductions....could be a misfit. Owners really consider this their home. This couple returns to their land home on occasion to touch base but have very much enjoyed becoming friends with people from all over the world.
So, repeating the question: do the amenities of ResidenSea include a school?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
Probably not.

I strongly suspect the demographics of those who own units on the ResidentSea do not include a great many young couples with school-age children. And if there are some, said school-age children are most likely in boarding school rather than aboard ship.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

id imagine retirees would be the main demographic..

there was a british couple on my seabourn cruise, apparently they are onboard 6 months of every year.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
The couple I know have adult children. I can't imagine there is a school on board. You could probably homeschool....then you would have school available. If you are buying in or leasing long term from an owner, I would certainly ask the ship management themselves rather than a bunch of us who only know people who own. Perhaps owners bring their own teacher if they need one. That's what I would do = control of curriculum, subject availablity, meeting your home countries or states requirements.....

Last edited by Sprite; Dec 11, 2006 at 11:27 pm
Old May 12, 2007, 2:10 am

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
So I'm reading Anthony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits and one chapter is his experience on board The World for five days. (He decided he was going to do all of his own cooking, so hardly a mention of the ship's restaurants' meals.)

Anyway, I decided to take a peek at ResidenSea's website tonight out of sheer curiosity. Purchase prices are listed from $825k to $7.3m. Annual fees range from $88k to $554k. Rent for short stays (min 6 days) is $1,200 to $4,200 per night.
Old May 16, 2007, 2:46 pm

Residensea, The world

Spent two weeks on this ship in July, 2002. The ship had been launched in May. About 200 aboard including owners and passengers in quest suites. Sailed from Dover to the top of Norway and over to Scotland.
Everything was included, all restaurants, drinks and tips. Because the owners have to pay for everything outside of the suites, the menu and bar drinks were all priced. Expensive!!
Food was outstanding and above. In two of the restaurants you could order caviar.
I would jump quickly if you get a chance to sail on this ship.
Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.