Wiki Posts
Search

Drink package or ala carte?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Jay71
I'm not familiar with Princess' drink package parameters as we usually sail with X and RCI. Personally, I would get a package if just for the convenience if I could get somewhat close to break even. But based on my habits, I find the math pretty hard to get close to break even, particularly when factoring in port days as others have also alluded to. YMMV of course.
A couple of tips and tricks might be:
X occasionally has sales on drink packages prior to sail date. Maybe watch to see if Princess does also?
I think some cruise lines allow you to buy a drink package mid-cruise, pro-rated for the remaining days of the cruise.
The Princess Plus package can be purchased in advance or on day 1 or 2. After that, you’re out of luck. I have never seen a sale price on Plus or Premier. But, I have heard that in the UK there are sales, just not the US. And, the price keeps rising. It went from $40 to $50 to $60. And I don’t think it will stay there.

The packages became a much better deal when wifi went from $15 to $25 a day.

We don’t get close to 15 alcoholic beverages a day, but drink a couple sodas, a couple specialty coffees and lots of bottled water. For us, the savings over ala carte are between 20 and 50%. It’s not a difficult calculation to determine whether it makes financial sense.

And yes, I drink more when I’m cruising - package or not.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:52 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
My husband and I are 4 star Mariners on Holland America and we never buy the drinks package. We also never consider the All in One package, which was (at some point before the cruise) offered at $50 per day/pp. On a 28 day cruise, that would have added up to $2800. We got our gratuities covered by our internet travel agency. We used our status to maximize discounts on the cruise, which included 50% off a wine package, minibar purchases, and premium restaurants. We bought several cokes in the Exploration Cafe and that was it.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 12:40 pm

So I was on this cruise and I didn't get a drink package. Normally I would have had a cocktail or two but I was OK with the included wine at dinner.

I did buy one cocktail and found it weak. So if you are thinking that you'll just pay for one or two- you may be disappointed by what you actually get for your money.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by Heyden
I am an infrequent cruiser and am currently debating whether to buy the drink package for an Alaskan cruise this summer with Princess.
Having quickly read thru this thread there is one key word missing by everyone other than OP. Alaskan.
Light on sea days, heavy on outside activity. Claims to not be a heavy drinker. Haven't a clue about Princess or packages. 18% gratuity charged on top of package cost?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gretchendz
If you choose the Plus or Premier packages, Princess requires the first two in the cabin to have it.
I was looking at the Premier package and it's unappealing if both of have to have it.

Originally Posted by hedoman
Having quickly read thru this thread there is one key word missing by everyone other than OP. Alaskan.
Light on sea days, heavy on outside activity. Claims to not be a heavy drinker. Haven't a clue about Princess or packages. 18% gratuity charged on top of package cost?
This seals the deal. Despite the appeal of not having a post cruise sticker shock I'll do ala carte for this cruise. Being hungover on a port stop isn't desirable and I can't honestly say I wouldn't try reaching the maximum daily consumption limit at least once.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As Elites on Princess, we get 50% off on wifi. For a mini-suite, that comes to $56.50 for tips and wifi, meaning that as long as we pay less than $63.50 per day for drinks, we're better off without a package. The other extras are worth nothing to us.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hedoman
18% gratuity charged on top of package cost?
Packages include gratuities.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I see foregoing the (alcoholic) drinks package as a healthy option to either go dry or at least drink less (not that I drink very much), and saving a great deal of $$$-$$$$ in addition for often-mediocre drinks selection. Of course, I have an all-inclusive cruise (supposedly decent quality drinks included) coming up in 2 1/2 weeks but mercifully short. Only 2 ports of call but I'm not letting those get in the way of enjoying the F&B (former reportedly/reputedly best among all cruise lines) onboard.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.