Wiki Posts
Search

Cruise with Small Children / Family Reunion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Cruise with Small Children / Family Reunion

Hi all, did a search but didn't find a specific thread for cruising with small children ( 1yo - 7yo).

Wife and I have only done 2 cruises, 1 onboard Ruby Princess and another on Harmony of the Seas. No kids back then, but from memory we gathered that Princess has DIY laundry rooms. However Royal Caribbean ships have much more activity / cool features although these would be for teens and older.

We are looking to do a cruise sometime in Feb , and not more than 2 weeks. Been searching around and departing Barcelona looks to tick most of our needs especially weather wise (prefer cooler climate). Preferably not USA / Canada as some of us would need to apply for Visas.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
February is off/shoulder season for most locations - I don't think there are many Med or Baltic cruises during that time frame.

Since you don't really know what you want yet, I'd recommend looking at a consolidator website like vacationstogo.com - you can pick the time frame, length of cruise, region etc and see what is available. Then you can look up cruiseline/ship specifics, reputation, activities for kids etc.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
No cruise line is better for children (and, for that matter, multi-generational travel parties) than Disney.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As you mention the need for US/Canada visas, consider looking at some European based cruise lines as they may offer cruises that entirely skip the need to enter the US. For example a lot of British cruise lines will begin/end Caribbean cruises in Barbados instead of the US.

As said above, med cruises are less common in winter, so you may have few choices if you want to stick with that region. Another region to consider is cruises out of Dubai, I believe MSC may offer some.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Answers to Some of Your Questions

Originally Posted by wantan
Hi all, did a search but didn't find a specific thread for cruising with small children ( 1yo - 7yo).

Wife and I have only done 2 cruises, 1 onboard Ruby Princess and another on Harmony of the Seas. No kids back then, but from memory we gathered that Princess has DIY laundry rooms. However Royal Caribbean ships have much more activity / cool features although these would be for teens and older.

We are looking to do a cruise sometime in Feb , and not more than 2 weeks. Been searching around and departing Barcelona looks to tick most of our needs especially weather wise (prefer cooler climate). Preferably not USA / Canada as some of us would need to apply for Visas.
Princess cruises still have self-service laundries.

You are right that RCCL will have more activities for older children but Princess can be a solid choice.

Both will have children's programs but be sure to research carefully as some lines will allow one year olds to sail but will not take them into the children's programs until age three or so.They want them toilet trained
Basically, you are responsible for all their care if they are too young for the program. To me, noit a deal breaker as we just took a 4 month old on a cruise of Nowegian fjords. But you want to go in witrh your eyes open.

I'm not sure I understand the visa concern but you did not say where you all have citizenship so I don't want to presume. If you are US citizens, and you go to Barcelona, everyone will need passports, including the 1 year old.

It sounds like you might want to find a travel advisor that specializes in cruises. They can help you with options. Usually you pay the same as if you book it yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.