Search

Realities of River Cruising

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Realities of River Cruising

Currently enjoying a river cruise on the Danube to visit the Christmas Markets. Due to flooding on the Danube (the heavy snows that paralyzed MUC two weeks ago are melting and there’s been additional rain), we’ve had major changes on our itinerary. We set sail from Nuremberg, made our first port of Regensburg, which we left late, and then stopped unexpectedly in Straubing before we could get to our next planned stop in Passau. We spent two days stuck in Straubing before our cruise line bussed us 4.5 hours to Vienna to board a different ship so we could continue. We were still being wined, dined, and entertained, plus enjoying tours they added for the area where we were stuck. It’s not been the itinerary we planned but still great. Similiar decisions are having to be made all along the Rhine and the Danube by all the river cruise companies. Some companies are engaging in ship swaps like we did, others are doing hotels and bussing, while we have heard of one cancelling mid cruise. All that being said many people were not aware this was a possibility.

So here’s some heads up if you are considering a river cruise:

1. River cruising, even more so than ocean cruising, is affected by the weather. Too much water (like this week) and the ships can’t get under bridges. Too little and the river is not deep enough to sail. Sailings may be altered or cancelled. You might end up switching ships, or staying in a hotel and bussing instead.
2. Just like with ocean cruising, if you absolutely must see something and your vacation will be ruined if you don’t see it, then consider a land vacation instead.
3. Flexibility is key. Many of us onboard looked at the changes as an opportunity to see something different. A few left the cruise in Straubing and made other plans, and were looking forward to the changes. Either way both groups are left enjoying themselves rather than upset because we didn’t get to see our original itinerary.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Great Advice

Originally Posted by wrp96
Currently enjoying a river cruise on the Danube to visit the Christmas Markets. Due to flooding on the Danube (the heavy snows that paralyzed MUC two weeks ago are melting and there’s been additional rain), we’ve had major changes on our itinerary. We set sail from Nuremberg, made our first port of Regensburg, which we left late, and then stopped unexpectedly in Straubing before we could get to our next planned stop in Passau. We spent two days stuck in Straubing before our cruise line bussed us 4.5 hours to Vienna to board a different ship so we could continue. We were still being wined, dined, and entertained, plus enjoying tours they added for the area where we were stuck. It’s not been the itinerary we planned but still great. Similiar decisions are having to be made all along the Rhine and the Danube by all the river cruise companies. Some companies are engaging in ship swaps like we did, others are doing hotels and bussing, while we have heard of one cancelling mid cruise. All that being said many people were not aware this was a possibility.

So here’s some heads up if you are considering a river cruise:

1. River cruising, even more so than ocean cruising, is affected by the weather. Too much water (like this week) and the ships can’t get under bridges. Too little and the river is not deep enough to sail. Sailings may be altered or cancelled. You might end up switching ships, or staying in a hotel and bussing instead.
2. Just like with ocean cruising, if you absolutely must see something and your vacation will be ruined if you don’t see it, then consider a land vacation instead.
3. Flexibility is key. Many of us onboard looked at the changes as an opportunity to see something different. A few left the cruise in Straubing and made other plans, and were looking forward to the changes. Either way both groups are left enjoying themselves rather than upset because we didn’t get to see our original itinerary.
And even land travel can have problems, strikes, diasters, etc. I was in Europe when to Iceland Volcano ash stranded flights for a long time. We were fortunate as we were traveling by rail but boy did we see a lot of messed up travelers.

Plus to river cruises:
1) No packing and unpacking
2) Your hotel is your transportation
3) No trying to find a decent place for meals
4) Literally wake up in a new location each morning
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Waving to you from shore (though Wien is quite a ways from the river) and was in Budapest earlier in the week. Was looking at using river cruises for transportation but they're still too expensive in the dead of winter. Took the train between the two for €21 in 1st.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz
And even land travel can have problems, strikes, diasters, etc. I was in Europe when to Iceland Volcano ash stranded flights for a long time. We were fortunate as we were traveling by rail but boy did we see a lot of messed up travelers.

Plus to river cruises:
1) No packing and unpacking
2) Your hotel is your transportation
3) No trying to find a decent place for meals
4) Literally wake up in a new location each morning
Agree with above. However, #1 (& #2) would obviously not apply if guests have to switch to a hotel or another boat due to water level issues.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just as an FYI, one should always look at the historic high water level markers alone the rivers to get an idea of how much water levels can rise up to. Was in Wachau or Duernstein a few years ago (by road) and was observing the levels. The Donau wasn't particularly low at that time but the high water levels must have been a good 6-7m higher than the water level that day.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We did manage to get these views last night.
gretchendz, deedeep, corky and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:46 am

Water levels

In general, in recent years, low water levels seem to a bigger concern than high.

It's why I usually recommend (and sail myself) with AMAWaterways. Their ships are designed with a shallower draft so that they can manage in lower water than other companies. Of course, there is no guarantee ever--as with most travel.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gretchendz
In general, in recent years, low water levels seem to a bigger concern than high.

It's why I usually recommend (and sail myself) with AMAWaterways. Their ships are designed with a shallower draft so that they can manage in lower water than other companies. Of course, there is no guarantee ever--as with most travel.
Was on the Irrawaddy river in Mynamar/Burma a few years ago where water levels were low. Belmond has a luxury boat there that was tied up as it could not sail due to low levels. The little training cruise ship (just 4 cabins) we were one could still get from Bagan to Mandalay though.

Writing this on a very nice Ceske Drahy Railjet BC seat (inflight entertainment (music, books, movies, games and all through the onboard wifi internet).
gretchendz likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Thanks for the information. We are considering a river cruise. I’ve watched quite a number of videos, but I don’t recall hearing about the issue of high water levels before. Only the problems with low water. But your post makes a lot of sense and has opened my eyes a little wider. If I want a bus trip, I’ll just join with the Villagers up the road and stay local.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Great report......which company are you with? Sounds like they have taken good care.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:58 pm

It ius really rare

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Thanks for the information. We are considering a river cruise. I’ve watched quite a number of videos, but I don’t recall hearing about the issue of high water levels before. Only the problems with low water. But your post makes a lot of sense and has opened my eyes a little wider. If I want a bus trip, I’ll just join with the Villagers up the road and stay local.
It is really rare that it happens, but people should be aware it might. On the larger lines, like AMA and Viking, they usually switch you to an identical ship on the other side of the problem area, meaning a short bus ride to the ship on the other side of the problem. They transport your bags to your new identical cabin for you. So the bus ride is usually an hour or 2 tops.
wrp96 and BamaVol like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hedoman
Great report......which company are you with? Sounds like they have taken good care.
We were on AMAWaterways. They’ve given all of us a 50% future cruise credit. Already planning my next trip.

BamaVol I’m not usually a bus traveler (bad encounter with people from the Villages years ago on a transatlantic cruise😜 ). The bus ride part is unusual. Several people opted to take a train from Straubing to Vienna instead of the provided buses. And AMA was fine with that, helping arrange taxis to the train station, etc
gretchendz and hedoman like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We were on AMAWaterways. They’ve given all of us a 50% future cruise credit. Already planning my next trip.

BamaVol I’m not usually a bus traveler (bad encounter with people from the Villages years ago on a transatlantic cruise😜 ). The bus ride part is unusual. Several people opted to take a train from Straubing to Vienna instead of the provided buses. And AMA was fine with that, helping arrange taxis to the train station, etc
LOL The Villages population is getting close to 140,000. And they’ve gotten closer. I used to tell people I lived 10 miles south of TV., now I say I live 3 miles east. It’s possible to have an unpleasant encounter. But they’re not all jerks and I’ve met some nice people who chose that location and lifestyle. It’s just not for us. And as the developer has weaseled out of paying for the infrastructure necessitated by their incessant building, I find the drive there crowded and unpleasant. What my town doesn’t have is available from other sources than TV. But, they do offer extensive travel services at a fair price. I use an airport van out of The Villages and will consider them to get to Port Canaveral. I’m kind of kidding about bus trips. I had my fill of long distance buses as a college student.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We were on AMAWaterways.
We'll be taking our first river cruise on AMA in March (on the AmaDouro). Really looking forward to it.
wrp96, gretchendz and BamaVol like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:50 pm

I am....

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We'll be taking our first river cruise on AMA in March (on the AmaDouro). Really looking forward to it.
JEALOUS!
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.