Search

Travel agents for booking cruises?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by wrp96
but did risk a morning of nonstop for a cruise last November. Then I was completely exhausted for the first day of the cruise.
Just curious what time did you have to check in at the dock? What time did your flight arrive? It may be just worth not stressing out and checking into a local hotel the night before and request late checkout.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by enviroian
Just curious what time did you have to check in at the dock? What time did your flight arrive? It may be just worth not stressing out and checking into a local hotel the night before and request late checkout.
Typically check in for a cruise starts around 10-11am and you must be checked in no later than 1 hour before departure (for some cruiselines it's 2 hours before departure). With online checkin though, there really isn't much you have to do at the pier these days.

My flight arrived at 9:30am. I had to be at the airport at 4:30am. When I landed I went and joined my friends at their hotel and crashed for about an hour before we headed to the pier (our check in slot wasn't until 12 - due to COVID). I still headed back to the cabin a lot earlier than they did that night because it was just a long day of traveling. When I first started cruising, I did fly in day of and it was just as tiring, stressful, etc. The only reason I did it for this cruise was because I could get on the non-stop and because I hadn't paid for the cruise I wasn't out any money if I missed it.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
If you are taking the Virgin Voyage, then you will probably get a 1:30 or 2pm checkin time. If you arrive early, you can drop off your luggage and take a free shuttle to some shops and restaurants around the arena. The cutoff is about 1 hour before sail away.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
If you are taking the Virgin Voyage, then you will probably get a 1:30 or 2pm checkin time. If you arrive early, you can drop off your luggage and take a free shuttle to some shops and restaurants around the arena. The cutoff is about 1 hour before sail away.
Got it. That sounds pretty clear cut. I just read that covid tests are required. ugh. It's a formality I suppose but a little annoying. I'm 4x jabbed and I'm sure they require a vax card.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:09 pm

Do they still exist? I want to book a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas and am overwhelmed by the choices and brands. I have specific requirements and would rather work with someone that knows this industry. This is not my wheelhouse. I’ve never been on a cruise before.
Both AAA and CostCo have travel agents that specialize in cruises. I booked my first cruise through AAA and was very happy with service as the agent knew what to suggest and what questions to ask and I didn't. Next time I'd likely book direct with the cruise line.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Got it. That sounds pretty clear cut. I just read that covid tests are required. ugh. It's a formality I suppose but a little annoying. I'm 4x jabbed and I'm sure they require a vax card.
Virgin dropped their testing requirements last month for vaxxed sailors. You are in the clear.
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Some cruise lines have a booze pass you can buy for your entire cruise. I know Carnival caps it at 15 drinks per day. Also includes specialty coffee and similar drinks. Suites on ships are much smaller than hotels. Many are 300-400SF. I’ve seen Norwegian standard cabins that are 170 square feet.

When booking your trip, always make sure you’re looking at the total cost. If you’re going alone, some may charge a single supplement. Also add in port charges and gratuities.

www.cruisecompete.com lets you get bids for your trip once you know the dates and ship you want to go on. Costco Travel also represents a number of different cruise lines. Discounts and Costco cash cards are awarded on many itineraries.
So far we've only cruised with Carnival and typically buy the beverage package. Cocktails run $10+ and we never squeeze the15 drink limit . Breakfast is usually a Bloody Mary or two, a spiked coffee after breakfast, a few cocktails thru the day, a couple of cocktails with the evening meal, maybe some bar time later and if attending intertainment a couple more. I've seen some over indulging but rarely is there a problem and if there is a problem ships security seems responsive. We prefer upper deck, forward cabins, generally less foot traffic and quiet. We also enjoy rocking to sleep at night so the higher the deck the better. We have never booked anything but a balcony, I like the option to just watch the water go by and without a crowd. We'll hit Platinum tier later this year and are interested in any changes that brings. I resisted taking a cruise for years and regret not going sooner.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wonder if I'll be the only single loser on this voyage. Sheeesh. I have no problem socializing with people and I'm sure I'll have a blast.

Is Sir Richard involved in any way, shape or form to this cruise company?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Cruises forum for further discussion. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if I'll be the only single loser on this voyage. Sheeesh. I have no problem socializing with people and I'm sure I'll have a blast.

Can't speak about Virgin but seems the ships have planned social events plus quiet bars and such. Jump in, mix, cut one from the herd.
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

Doesn’t he have a piece or fee on anything with Virgin in the name?

I’d check reports with recent cruisers on www.cruisecritic.com. Especially as this is your first cruise. Lots of tips on boarding, restaurants, etc.
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:38 pm

Cruises are one of the last piece of the travel industry paying full travel agents commission that can be 17% or more. Do the math in your head and realize you should be getting a lot from your agent in value. For most cruises a bottle of champagne is a comical gift or category upgrade is a comical gift.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have two flights on hold. One arrives at 8:36 pm the night before departure. The other one arrives at 11am the day of departure.

Both flights are either 772 or 788’s.

I would be out a few hundred the night before.

what would you book?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I’d book the night before. Don’t take the risk of booking to arrive the day of. I’ve heard too many horror stories and especially with how things are with airlines these days.

Took an NCL cruise in February out of San Juan as a solo. Really enjoyed myself and the cost was less than 1500 including all the freebies and an upgraded Wi-Fi package for seven days. Cruise left on Sunday and I flew in Friday night.

Leaving Tuesday for a Danube River cruise which I honestly got for a steal. Leaves Passau Tuesday afternoon and I’m flying out Friday night.
enviroian, wrp96 and ysolde like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

You won't be the only solo traveler on Virgin. They have staterooms specifically for solo travelers. And from what I've heard about Virgin you should really enjoy yourself.

Take the flight the night before. An 11am arrival day of cruise leaves no room if there are any flight issues.
Jaimito Cartero and ysolde like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.