Search

Travel agents for booking cruises?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Travel agents for booking cruises?

Do they still exist? I want to book a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas and am overwhelmed by the choices and brands. I have specific requirements and would rather work with someone that knows this industry. This is not my wheelhouse. I’ve never been on a cruise before.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by enviroian
Do they still exist? I want to book a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas and am overwhelmed by the choices and brands. I have specific requirements and would rather work with someone that knows this industry. This is not my wheelhouse. I’ve never been on a cruise before.
They still exist. I see one with a retail office. I only know of one with a physical location but there could be more.

I wouldn't go on a cruise. It's dirty. Rotavirus and Norovirus happens on cruise ships and not too often on land. Medical care is lousy.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
They certainly do exist, although who knows how you find a good one who knows their stuff. From what I can tell, the only people who still use travel agents are either immigrants who don't use the internet and want someone from their community to sell them flights back home, or the extremely affluent who want someone to put together some type of specialty, luxury vacation package.

Liberty Travel used to have a bunch of storefronts across NYC and places like Philly (although I think they're now mostly if not all closed). You might try their site first to get an idea of options and go from there.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Do you have an Expedia near you? They do a decent job with cruises. My suggestion, avoid Carnival like the plague unless you enjoy the company of drunk 20-somethings
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The last time I checked, AmEx still had some city offices with real live human travel agents.

For the upper end ones, look for Virtuoso agents who handle plane tickets as well as hotel reservations, or *call* AmEx PTS/CTS. (Don't use their website as it reverts to Expedia or whatever, including all prepaid hotel bookings AFAICT). You can also try to find an upper end travel agent who specializes in areas that interest you, although looking at Virtuoso agent profiles is likely to generate good leads if you don't have any personal recommendations from experienced travelers you trust.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:05 pm

Nancy and her team are excellent - highly recommend:

https://www.cruiseandworldtravel.com/about
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all. Yeah no carnival or Disney. I want to depart FLL or MIA but don’t want a redneck cruise. I heard Royal and Norwegian ate solid cruise lines. I went on cruises dot com and was overwhelmed.

I want a balcony, drinks included pass, good gym, nice bars and late night food.

tall order?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
FT has a dedicated "Cruises" forum; I'm sure that some of the folks over there would be happy to give you their opinions.

I've been on several cruises, and regularly book through vacationstogo.com, but I knew what I wanted to book, and did not require any recommendations from their phone agents, but I expect that they are pretty knowledgeable about cruises. If you register an email address with vacationstogo.com, you can sort through their cruise listings for short Bahamas cruises.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks all. Yeah no carnival or Disney. I want to depart FLL or MIA but don’t want a redneck cruise. I heard Royal and Norwegian ate solid cruise lines. I went on cruises dot com and was overwhelmed.

I want a balcony, drinks included pass, good gym, nice bars and late night food.

tall order?
As between Royal Caribbean and Norwegian, I would probably give the nod to Royal Caribbean.

If you are willing to go for a four-night cruise, I see that Celebrity has a few out of Miami on 5- and 5.5-star ships. Celebrity is a cut above your other options.

Be sure to check the smoking policies on various lines, if that matters to you. And many lines now require proof of COVID-19 vaccination to board.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Carnival is actually okay if you go on cruises 7 days or longer.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Royal vs NCL VS Celebrity is like AA vs United vs Delta. Carnival is Southwest,
hotturnip likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
My brother and his S.O. have been on quite a few cruises. He won't go on Carnival because of all the families with kids and others (and he had 2 kids, now grown, but they never went on the cruise trips). He likes to bottom fish the first 2 weeks of December or other oddball deals.

I've only been on the one that I won from MTV back in the late 80s that was on Carnival. Largest ship in the world at the time, but wouldn't be in the top 10 today.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Happy travels!
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I have a travel agent who I love. She is very busy. I do a bit of research about what I want and the approx prices and then she does the rest. She knows the accommodation style I like and suggests things. I like the fact that if anything goes wrong like a wrong date booking etc then that is on her. I have booked a wrong date for accommodation of $450 a night and it was tough luck when I booked the wrong dates.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I have a travel agent who I love. She is very busy. I do a bit of research about what I want and the approx prices and then she does the rest. She knows the accommodation style I like and suggests things. I like the fact that if anything goes wrong like a wrong date booking etc then that is on her. I have booked a wrong date for accommodation of $450 a night and it was tough luck when I booked the wrong dates.
she sounds confident. Can you ask her if she can help a bloke in Texas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.