Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Princess is back to self-serve buffet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Princess is back to self-serve buffet

We were very disappointed when the buffet on our cruise last week went back to self-serve without any prior notice. Princess has basically given up on any semblance of health protocols.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:29 pm

mahasamatman,
Which Princess cruise ship of your cruise last week?
Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
UGH

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We were very disappointed when the buffet on our cruise last week went back to self-serve without any prior notice. Princess has basically given up on any semblance of health protocols.
Ugh--that is unfortunate.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Contact transfer of Covid seems to have gone by the wayside. From my clinical side I have to agree that the viral load transfer from relatively simple contact is really not significant. Of course other viruses like Norovirus are still a concern but not connected to Covid.
gretchendz likes this.

Last edited by Randyk47; Apr 19, 2022 at 5:37 am
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
For me

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Contact transfer of Covid seems to have gone by the wayside. From my clinical side I have to agree that the viral load transfer from relatively simple contact is really not significant. Of course other viruses like Norovirus are still a concern but not connected to Covid.
I know you are correct. However, I was hoping that one lasting effect of the pandemic would be no more self-service buffets just because they seem gross to me. Pre-Covid, I would see far too many guests grab a roll or whatever and then put it back. Yuck! Fortunately, there are many other dining options on a cruise so I rarely, if ever, go to the buffet.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HSBC
Which Princess cruise ship of your cruise last week?
Discovery.

Originally Posted by gretchendz
I was hoping that one lasting effect of the pandemic would be no more self-service buffets just because they seem gross to me. Pre-Covid, I would see far too many guests grab a roll or whatever and then put it back. Yuck! Fortunately, there are many other dining options on a cruise so I rarely, if ever, go to the buffet.
Exactly. Eliminating self-serve was a great side effect of COVID protocols, and I had to go back to using a paper towel to handle utensils or just grabbing food directly without using utensils just for sanitary reasons. It would be nice if the dining rooms were open on port days.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This is nothing new for Princess. We took a Baltic cruise on the Emerald Princess in 2011, during the tail end of the SARS (?) epidemic. The crew got off to a good start by having every buffet station manned, but on about the third day, it was back to self-serv, and to many passengers this meant sampling the buffet items with their hands.

I returned home suffering from two communicable conditions. Never again will we cruise with Princess!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
I returned home suffering from two communicable conditions. Never again will we cruise with Princess!
Just. This deserved a response. One communicable disease would be bad enough. Were both sanitation related? Or from other passengers who wandered about coughing & sneezing on people and ship density as all mass market lines have this challenge (predates Covid).
Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We’ve been cruising since 1993 and luckily have dodged the dreaded Norovirus but one or both of us has gotten some kind of flu or head cold on quite a few cruises. Of course it doesn’t help we have to fly to each and every cruise so add that to the mix. I am a doctor so we go prepared and other than maybe a day or two down days we have done well.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
This is nothing new for Princess. We took a Baltic cruise on the Emerald Princess in 2011, during the tail end of the SARS (?) epidemic. The crew got off to a good start by having every buffet station manned, but on about the third day, it was back to self-serv, and to many passengers this meant sampling the buffet items with their hands.
!
Isn't this "standard", recent (dating to a few years before the advent of COVID) Carnival Corp. protocol to "eliminate" the risk of noro? 1st 48 hrs after start of a new cruise, staff dish out food in the buffet, then after that (assuming no outbreak) it reverts to self-serve. Certainly done on Holland America.
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.