Wiki Posts
Search

Royal Caribbean Suite Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Royal Caribbean Suite Question

I am looking at potentially trying a cruise but I have some very basic questions. The primary one is about this picture when booking on the royal Caribbean website.

So the top one says it will put me in the best available stateroom in this category. The price is of a junior suite but there are 3 higher level suites available for purchase.

It logically sounds like I will get a junior suite at that price but I can't pick the specific room. I think some suites cost more for more desirable location on the ship.

If it does let you get anything that is classified as a suite then is it just gambling that I could get a better suite than the junior suite? I can't think this is a viable business model. If it was more expensive than a standard junior suite but less than a confirmed price of the suite right above it would make sense since you'd be then just gambling.

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
What you're seeing here are very standard cruise booking options. You can either choose a particular stateroom (for a price premium) or book a "guarantee" stateroom which saves a few bucks but lets the cruise line put you in any stateroom in that category or higher. Some people place a lot of stock in that "or higher" phraseology, thinking guarantee staterooms are the best way to get complimentary upgrades. But the rule of thumb seems to be to book a category of stateroom you'd be happy sailing in; if no upgrade materializes and you're going to be upset, then just pay up for that next higher category in advance.
gretchendz and cfabar1 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I have no real evidence, but I suspect that cruiselines are more likely to upgrade an "assigned" booking from a regular customer to make room for a guarantee rather than upgrading a guarantee.
gretchendz and HPN-HRL like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Got it thanks everyone!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My experience is limited but I've only booked guarantee cabins on mass-market cruisecos and have always (5/5) been assigned a cabin above the minimum grade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.