Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruise crew vaccinations

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
DeSantis held a rally this week in The Villages up the road from me. I believe it was at this event that he expressed losing NCL would be no big deal. He refered to them as one of the small cruise lines. They are #3, but I suppose compared to the big 2 (Carnival & Royal Caribbean), they aren’t much. I would miss them, but I have a lot of convincing to do before Mrs. BV will get back on a ship and the governor isn’t making my job any easier.
How could other cruise lines operate under the same restriction of not being able to inquire of vaxx status? I think determining vaxx status is critical to getting the ships underway. They could assure other destinations that passengers and crew are all vaccinated or limit people leaving the ship to only those who are vaccinated if some aren't. I'd say that the Florida governor is on the wrong side of this issue.
747FC likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How could other cruise lines operate under the same restriction of not being able to inquire of vaxx status? I think determining vaxx status is critical to getting the ships underway. They could assure other destinations that passengers and crew are all vaccinated or limit people leaving the ship to only those who are vaccinated if some aren't. I'd say that the Florida governor is on the wrong side of this issue.
Despite the Florida governor the whole business of asking about vaccination status is a bit of a mess. Just in the past couple of days the Department of Defense, and maybe other Federal agencies, have loosen their mask requirements. The new guidance is if you have been vaccinated you no longer have to wear a mask in or out of your building. However, they have warned supervisors, managers, etc., that they cannot ask employees whether or not they have been vaccinated. Strictly an honor system. If the employee volunteers the information that’s fine but asking is a violation of HIPAA.
747FC likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Despite the Florida governor the whole business of asking about vaccination status is a bit of a mess. Just in the past couple of days the Department of Defense, and maybe other Federal agencies, have loosen their mask requirements. The new guidance is if you have been vaccinated you no longer have to wear a mask in or out of your building. However, they have warned supervisors, managers, etc., that they cannot ask employees whether or not they have been vaccinated. Strictly an honor system. If the employee volunteers the information that’s fine but asking is a violation of HIPAA.
I might be wrong but HIPPA shouldn't constrain non-healthcare entities.

What Does HIPAA Cover?

HIPAA is a federal law that introduced standards in healthcare relating to patient privacy and the protection of medical data. HIPAA covers healthcare providers, health plans, healthcare clearinghouses, and business associates of HIPAA-covered entities. HIPAA applies to most entities that fall into the above categories, except those that do not conduct transactions electronically.

Healthcare providers include hospitals, clinics, physicians, nursing homes, pharmacies, chiropractors, dentists, and psychologists. Health plans include health insurers, company health plans, HMOs, and government programs that pay for healthcare such as Medicaid and Medicare. Healthcare clearinghouses are organizations that transform nonstandard health data into a standard format. A business associate is an individual or entity that performs functions for a HIPAA covered entity that requires the use or disclosure of protected health information.
Regardless, I think business should be able to verify COVID-19 vaxx status especially in situations of high density people as found on many cruises. People who lie or forge vaxx documents should be banned or put off the ship if found out.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If crew can leave the ship anywhere in Florida, I believe they can get vaccinated. COVID-19 vaccines are available here to anyone of age regardless of citizenship. They just have to pop into the nearest Publix and sign up.
That's fine for the ships that already have crew on board. Most do but it's been skeletal for pretty much a year now; the ship crew (sailors) with minimal "hotel" - the wait staff, cabin attendants, kitchen, entertainment, etc.. The ships will have to have hotels staff crewed and for most of the mass-market lines, that means they'll have to go to the Philippines, Indonesia and India to get crew (some of the ones like Oceania just have to go to Europe) unless hotel crew from these countries can be air lifted in somewhere.
Old May 15, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
That's fine for the ships that already have crew on board. Most do but it's been skeletal for pretty much a year now; the ship crew (sailors) with minimal "hotel" - the wait staff, cabin attendants, kitchen, entertainment, etc.. The ships will have to have hotels staff crewed and for most of the mass-market lines, that means they'll have to go to the Philippines, Indonesia and India to get crew (some of the ones like Oceania just have to go to Europe) unless hotel crew from these countries can be air lifted in somewhere.
Good point. Unless you’re already here, it won’t help. Still, with many states refusing some of their allocation, there is vaccine availability. Getting here is the problem.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47
IIf the honor system is so good, I guess there is no need to conduct background investigations before granting TS/SCI status. Ridiculous.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

What Does HIPAA Cover?

Regardless, I think business should be able to verify COVID-19 vaxx status especially in situations of high density people as found on many cruises. People who lie or forge vaxx documents should be banned or put off the ship if found out.

HIPAA is so broadly construed that employment lawyers and HR professionals run away screaming whenever there is anything to do with health matters. Even when the subject clearly is excluded under HIPAA.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:36 pm

What Does HIPAA Cover?

HiPAA doesn't cover non-healthcare entities and also has provisions for pandemics
https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/fi...oronavirus.pdf

It can also be shared between public health organizations in pandemics for legitimate health inquires https://www.renalandurologynews.com/...public-health/

I rather think it should be banned for a number of years AND put off the ship. There will probably be cruises allowing unvaccinated adults in the near future and I think likely on a mass market line but being able to require a certain level of verifiable vaccination level is prudent to get back to sailing with the least risk of stoppage or denial from port. It's a business which has been losing money and at least temporarily, less financial risk to go this way than attempting to play major hardball which only appeals to a certain percentage of the voter and customer base.

They can manage a lot of risk by restarting this way on a certain number of ships while they work on staffing the other ships with vaccinated crew, boarding in ports (and countries) which do allow them to require vaccinations.

It also better protects the crew aboard if passengers are vaccinated. Just like non-medical US essential workers on hourly wages (es. customer facing) who have decided to pursue other jobs which have better conditions and pay, sometimes learning new skills, some of the crew last year were stranded for months at sea. I doubt they got paid their usual wage + expected tips while at sea, unable to physically earn a wage to help their families or pay for other obligations. It's a financial risk to be placed on a ship which may be denied from ports due to a fair amount of unvaccinated positives, having to serve (cranky) customers confined to their cabins for an isolation period, then required to isolate themselves as the passengers are allowed to disembark to land. They already have to put up with contracting colds and flu while working pretty long hours and understaffed (including with health questionnaires which always incentivize passengers to state they are healthy lest they be denied boarding ).

I asked an officer on a Panama Canal crossing about the kinds of vaccinations they had, as Yellow Fever had just recently been changed to "good for lifetime" by the CDC but not yet by WHO. Officers and crew who work the Panama Canal were required to be vaccinated for Yellow Fever every 10 years as per the guidance. Vaccinations had to be up to date and good for the regions they work. Cruise lines do have protocols for certain common infectious viruses like Norovirus and food safety for guarding against food poisoning. It's that Norovirus also requires guests to participate in the protocols to reduce risk and cruise lines can sometimes get a little lax in what they enforce, until some catastrophe puts them in the news. You know those people who have bad hygiene habits at the buffet or wander about the ship with the flu? They'll still be there. Some will think coronavirus is no big deal, they are.not.sick, and the trip was expensive so yolo!. It'd be better for the cruise lines to restart with people who are willing to show they have been vaccinated given human nature.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I drove past Port Canaveral today. There was a smaller ship docked there, I didn’t recognize it or the line from a distance. I saw something headed out to sea but I think it was the Victory on its way past the 10 mile limit or whatever it is so people can gamble.

No ships = no crew. Crew vaccinations won’t be taking place here any time soon.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:00 pm

I drove past Port Canaveral today. There was a smaller ship docked there, I didn’t recognize it or the line from a distance. I saw something headed out to sea but I think it was the Victory on its way past the 10 mile limit or whatever it is so people can gamble.

No ships = no crew. Crew vaccinations won’t be taking place here any time soon.
Victory according to Marine Traffic https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ssel:VICTORY_I

Marine Traffic also shows the Carnival Liberty as recently having docked and Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas will stop in the near future. Minimally staffed cruise ships have stopped in at ports to pick up supplies, refuel, and get packages for crew onboard so it isn't that odd to see them on the tracker.
Old May 17, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
Victory according to Marine Traffic https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ssel:VICTORY_I

Marine Traffic also shows the Carnival Liberty as recently having docked and Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas will stop in the near future. Minimally staffed cruise ships have stopped in at ports to pick up supplies, refuel, and get packages for crew onboard so it isn't that odd to see them on the tracker.
I’ve never paid much attention to Carnival ships. Would there be a large dark blue thing on top that looks very much like a capital Y?
Old May 17, 2021, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Questions about required or recommended vaccinations for a cruise that will partially transit the Panama Canal but no making a Panama port call. There will be other stops between originating U.S. port and Panama transit including a port call in Cartagena then returning to the states.

Are any vaccinations required? Which vaccinations are recommended? Source for detailed information?
Old May 17, 2021, 2:07 pm

Questions about required or recommended vaccinations for a cruise that will partially transit the Panama Canal but no making a Panama port call. There will be other stops between originating U.S. port and Panama transit including a port call in Cartagena then returning to the states.

Are any vaccinations required? Which vaccinations are recommended? Source for detailed information?
CDC is a good start
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...vel-single-001
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...vel-single-001

Similar/dominant travel health agencies
Canada
https://www.iamat.org/country/colombia/risk/malaria
https://www.iamat.org/country/panama/risk/malaria

My full transit cruise did not check passenger vaccination records for Panama Canal transit. I recall guest services did need my passport for stamping but I transited via repositioning from FL to Chile.

One important thing to be prepared for is the heat and humidity during crossing and doubly so on the paved helipad which gets opened for viewing. Officers will warn you and station crew near the helipad as people commonly faint & be transported out via stretcher. It is even hotter due to the heat being reflected from the floor and crowded. Cover up skin with sun blocking gear, hydrate, and take breaks since the crossing is actually a many hour affair. Shaded promenades on lower decks can be much less crowded and nice view, too. Don't be fooled by CC posts of "you'll be so hot in all that clothing!" - there's cooling tropic sun protective clothing, UV is stronger as you get closer to the equator, and locals certainly take care to seek sun, heat, & bug protection.
Old May 17, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I’ve never paid much attention to Carnival ships. Would there be a large dark blue thing on top that looks very much like a capital Y?
Notionally the funnel shape of Carnival cruise ships is symbolic of a diving whale tail.
Old May 17, 2021, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think you're asking about the ships funnel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.