Cruises need to drop prices!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruises need to drop prices!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by radonc1
Anyone want to do an over/under on whether Carnival's launch in August takes place, and where the cruise goes to?
Considering sister lines HAL and Princess have annouced they are canceling almost all cruises for the rest of the year, I'd give it a 1% chance.
Happy likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Batman's brother
Carnival Cruise Bookings Surge 600% After Announcing August Relaunch — 200% Over Same Time Last Year (TMZ reporting)

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/09/carni...suming-august/
Seems clear your original post is incorrect. They should be raising the price if they are getting this type of surge in demand. TMZ may not provide the most nuanced coverage however.....
Old May 11, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reflektia
Most cruises are not fully booked. There are almost always available passenger cabins onboard.
The "Most" is very questionable statement.

Own experiences, ALL TATL (both directions) and European cruises we have sailed on (over 25 or more), are fully booked - so much so when there were issues at the cabins, no vacant cabin to switch but waited for technicians / engineers to fix whatever was broken.

TPAC in Spring, lots of cabins available due to very COLD weather and many sea days (even more than TATL) on the crossing. Never sail in the Fall crossing so no idea.

Caribbeans mostly were full like the Med cruises.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radonc1
Anyone want to do an over/under on whether Carnival's launch in August takes place, and where the cruise goes to?
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Considering sister lines HAL and Princess have annouced they are canceling almost all cruises for the rest of the year, I'd give it a 1% chance.
Carnival will sail to no where in August. They just haven't announced their final plan yet.

The TMZ report seems to be a "planted" writing with some payments behind it.
Old May 11, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Happy
Carnival will sail to no where in August.
Even if they plan to go nowhere, they still have to find a port that will let them embark and debark passengers.
Old May 11, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Even if they plan to go nowhere, they still have to find a port that will let them embark and debark passengers.
Sorry. what I mean sail to nowhere meaning they would not sail at all. Yes, I understand the misunderstanding because there are actually sailings that go nowhere - we actually took a couple with RCL on their new ships "dry run" sailings.

Unless CDC changes its conditions, and I seriously doubt it would, unless the cruise lines can present an actionable (which is deliberately put in there) plan to satisfy CDC's requirements, and not just lip services as they have been doing all along, no ship is allowed to sail in US water per the CDC No Sail order.
Old May 11, 2020, 6:49 pm

Sorry. what I mean sail to nowhere meaning they would not sail at all.
Even if they plan on sitting in port, some port will need to let them. I still don't buy it.
Old May 16, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

How Long Cruise Lines Can Last Without Resuming Cruises
https://cruisefever.net/how-long-cru...uming-cruises/
gretchendz likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More cancellations from Princess. Not officially announced yet but when I talked to a rep at Customer Relations trying to get information on the refund status of our cruised canceled in the 1st suspension of operation, he said there soon would be 4th pause - the Australian / New Zealand cruises currently bookable will be canceled soon.

As it stands now, basically the only things remaining would be Caribbean cruises departing from Florida - BUT it hinge on CDC's requirements being met, or CDC modifies its requirements... I would say the remaining of 2020 would see no Princess cruise, and that probably would also apply to Holland America as these 2 now are in locked steps in their suspension of operations.

RCL so far only announced suspension up to Jul 31st. However it is unfathomable they could restart European cruises the remaining 1.5 months and the same 1.5 months remain for Alaska cruises with Canada does not intend to open its ports.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
More cancellations from Princess. Not officially announced yet but when I talked to a rep at Customer Relations trying to get information on the refund status of our cruised canceled in the 1st suspension of operation, he said there soon would be 4th pause - the Australian / New Zealand cruises currently bookable will be canceled soon.

As it stands now, basically the only things remaining would be Caribbean cruises departing from Florida - BUT it hinge on CDC's requirements being met, or CDC modifies its requirements... I would say the remaining of 2020 would see no Princess cruise, and that probably would also apply to Holland America as these 2 now are in locked steps in their suspension of operations.

RCL so far only announced suspension up to Jul 31st. However it is unfathomable they could restart European cruises the remaining 1.5 months and the same 1.5 months remain for Alaska cruises with Canada does not intend to open its ports.
Despite all the “we’re almost back” ads and statements I honestly think cruising in general is screwed for this year. At least the typical Alaskan and European seasons are pretty well trashed. There may be some short 7 or less day cruises in the Caribbean or some equally unattractive “cruise to nowhere” but by no stretch of the imagination does this mean cruising is back, at least not to 2019 or earlier standards.

Last edited by Randyk47; May 28, 2020 at 9:31 am
Old May 27, 2020, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Despite all the “we’re almost back” ads and statements I honestly think cruising in general is screwed for this year. At least the typical Alaskan and European seasons are pretty well trashed. There may be some short 7 or less day cruises in the Caribbean or some equally unattractive “cruise to nowhere” but by no stretch of the imagination do this mean cruising is back, at least not to 2019 or earlier standards.
Both Princess and Holland America already canceled all 2020 Alaskan, New England/Canada, and European cruises.

https://www.princess.com/plan/impact...elled-cruises/

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US...d-cruises.html
Old May 29, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: VX RCCL
Viking Cruises (both Ocean and River) announced yesterday all cruises till at least Aug31 are cancelled. Viking is a private company. Choice of refund or 125% Future Cruise Credit to be used in 2 years. If you don't use the FCC in 2 years they pay you out at 100%.

Was to go on a Iceland-Norway 13day cruise in Aug. Now I have "use-or-lose" vacation hours

CEH in MD
Old May 30, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by CHuntMD
Viking Cruises (both Ocean and River) announced yesterday all cruises till at least Aug31 are cancelled. Viking is a private company. Choice of refund or 125% Future Cruise Credit to be used in 2 years. If you don't use the FCC in 2 years they pay you out at 100%.

Was to go on a Iceland-Norway 13day cruise in Aug. Now I have "use-or-lose" vacation hours

CEH in MD
They refunded our May river cruise within 1 month after cancellation. Kudos to them.

At that time and still, I have no reasonable expectation of cruises resuming for the rest of this year I have posted my reasons on several different threads including the cruise forum.
I can only hope that I am too cautious and therefore incorrect.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:34 am
Suspended

I agree with OP - prices need to be lower to entice people back. Airlines did it very well.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Actually

Travel industry reports say that cruise bookings are rising weekly for cruises starting later in 2020, then 2021 and 2022. And before you all talk about future cruise credits, only about 35% of the bookings are coming from FCCs. It certainly has not fully recovered, but is improving weekly. There are even sold out cruises for 2021. I think the fact that most cruise lines and airlines are offering generous change or cancellation policies is helping as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.