Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Time Between Docking & Connection Flight in Seattle (Celebrity Solstice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

First time sailing on an Alaska Cruise for me, leaving Vancouver and arriving in Seattle on the way back.

Itinerary says the ship is docking at 6am. What would be a safe option to book a flight ex SeaTac? There is an AA flight at 10:20am but I feel like that might cut it a little close.

Any suggestions from SEA experienced cruisers?

Cheers!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
First time sailing on an Alaska Cruise for me, leaving Vancouver and arriving in Seattle on the way back.

Itinerary says the ship is docking at 6am. What would be a safe option to book a flight ex SeaTac? There is an AA flight at 10:20am but I feel like that might cut it a little close.

Any suggestions from SEA experienced cruisers?

Cheers!
Arriving, docking, and then clearing the ship are all slightly different things. Indeed the ship may arrive at 6 AM but it might not be fully docked by then. Once it is docked and can be boarded by the appropriate officials and cleared. Usually, but not always, all that is done by about 8 AM but stuff happens and it can be delayed for several reasons. Getting to SeaTac can be a bit of an issue due to traffic, etc., and the airport itself is in my mind a bit of a nightmare to get through. Personally I'd not book a flight out until at least noon or later.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I agree with the noon suggestion.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
OP: Do you want to end your relaxing cruise with an anxiety-filled morning, hoping that you made the right decision about booking an earlier flight? I'd echo the recommendations to book a later flight.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Adding to that that I'm an international (non-US) arrival I will pick up your suggestions and look at the 11:30am flight on Delta then.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
As big airports go, SEA is pretty civilized. But they are recommending arrival 3 hours before an international flight.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romelle
As big airports go, SEA is pretty civilized. But they are recommending arrival 3 hours before an international flight.
Well. They can recommend whatever they like but I've never ever arrived 3hr prior to a domestic flight and certainly won't start now. The airline check-in deadline is what counts for me - anything beyond that is their responsibility.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:50 am

If it isn't a closed loop cruise CBP process the ship differently (crew checks, first-time crew member arrival in the US, etc.) and depending on staffing may affect the processing time.
Well for NY arrivals from experience and a longshoreman friend, don't know about Seattle.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
What does Celebrity say? I've not cruised them but most other lines I've cruised offer an "earliest flight time" recommendation.....
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well. They can recommend whatever they like but I've never ever arrived 3hr prior to a domestic flight and certainly won't start now. The airline check-in deadline is what counts for me - anything beyond that is their responsibility.
Since you don't seem to have any SkyTeam status, please don't cut it too close unless you're confirmed in a premium cabin. Traffic to SEA can be horrible and there can be lines for bag drop/check in and TSA airport security.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

That attitude will change the day you miss your first flight because the you cut it too close. I've seen TSA lines stretching to kingdom come at Seattle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.