Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Holland America, has CNBC been eliminated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD

Just spoke to someone who was on the Nieuw Statendam last week January 2019 and he said there was no CNBC on TV. (from web searches I understand that it was on that ship in December) When he inquired he was told that Holland America has discontinued the contract and has eliminated it on ALL Holland America ships for one year (until new negotiation).

Appreciate all input from anyone who has been on ANY Holland America ship in 2019. Was there CNBC or any stock channel available for viewing in your cabin on your cruise? Thank you.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Hmm.....just read a post dated 16 January on Cruise Critic about the limited TV channels on Holland America’s Veendam. He mentioned MSNBC, Fox, and ESPN as the only broadcast stations. The other three or so channels were onboard ship information, etc. I think they also have movies on demand but that’s an ongoing upgrade being made to ships during drydock so may not be available on all their ships yet.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Just off Westerdam — no CNBC. Very disappointed with this and ship in general.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Just off Westerdam <snip> Very disappointed with <snip> ship in general.
Details, please. Considering using the Westerdam as an ocean liner next year.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Just off Westerdam — no CNBC. Very disappointed with this and ship in general.
Details please... Going on Westerdam in a few weeks..... Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarJon
Asia R/T or the TPAC?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Asia R/T or the TPAC?
Shanghai - Shanghai - Tokyo
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarJon
Very Poorly run ship. I’ve been on over 40 cruises (mostly Cunard and princess) but only 4th HAL. (3 in last year)

Ship sanitation not great. Many crew and passengers coughing and sneezing. Serious and rampant sneezing!!! Not enuf Purcell’s around ship. Just In entrance to DRs and in Neptune lounge. Crew members serving the salad bar and Ice cream in lido deck buffet sneezing into their elbow but it sprayed on their hands and onto food. How can they have sick crew openly serving food. Tried to find a floor manager to report to but none found. I Stopped eating in lido.

Even with obvious sickness, Never saw crew cleaning handrails. Other ships they are constantly cleaning and either wash basins at entrance to buffet or someone offers to spray your hands (washee washee). That may look tacky but it works.

Deck 10 crows nest destroyed. removed library and most seating and installed useless large computer “desks” with maps of destinations. Looks fancy but No one used. I want my library back and nice reading and hang out area of crows nest. Only coffee bar on ship is in crows nest. Some nice lounge chairs but usually not available on sea days.

cnbc eliminated for financial news. Poor decision IMO.. Still have msnbc, Fox, bbc.

HAL is known for great food and on my previous 4 cruises that’s what I found. Food quality on this cruise just ok. Beef ok but veal bad cuts of meat. Didn’t try fish. Many many dishes had some kind of pork or ham or bacon especially in lido. Couldn’t even get a plain baked potato. Sauces excellent. Desserts had no flavor.
room service great but many tea and coffee pots have no lids so they have to put cellophane on to seal. Can’t they replace? Tacky.

On 15 day cruise with 6 sea days DR only open for lunch 2 day. Why??? Impossible to find seating lunchtime in buffet or by pool. Poor planning.

neptune lounge lovely place to sit but few seats and the coffee machine is a joke. No cappuccino, decaf coffee only in a pot and Luke warm. hot water for tea dribbles out from machine and takes 5 minutes to fill a cup. They have pots of “hot” water but it’s luke warm. Can’t they have a hot water pot to heat water? SAme snacks every day. No one eats them cuz mediocre quality and boring to have same selection every day. No sign of what is type food, what veggie? so everyone has to ask concierges same question. Dumb. They would only need one copy of signs since they never change the variety.

Lots of little screw up. Daily paper says cooking segment on “meatless Monday’s” but demonstration and recipes for tapas. And more...

cruise was through asia. Lots of mandatory immigration checks. Understandable but why do they have to be completed by 10am? Can’t HAL negotiate for later so passengers not inconvenienced. 10am too early.

jeremy port lecturer great and gave same lectures twice so more people can see lecture. Smart. But other lectures including on customs and history of ports , lecture only once and not enuf seating room in main stage. Why can’t they tape and put on tv so passengers can watch at leisure, rewatch to refresh or see at all since not enuf seats. HAL says privacy issue but other lines including Cunard tape and replay lectures.

other port lecturer Phil does small size group lectures on deck 10. Topics interesting but I found him a terrible lecturer. Boring. Goes off topic often. Nice guy but This not the job for him.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions but I am traveling so I may not be able to reply ASAP. Hope this helps
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the details. Looks like continuing cutbacks (to be fair among most if not all mass market lines) - to boost earnings - are more apparent. Crewing is at a bare minimum so they work at least 10-12 hrs per day pretty much ever day for their contract, even when not deathly ill. I'm surprised with lunch closure of the dining room. In my (much more) limited experience, it's only closed on some (very few) port days - only 1 every 2 weeks - and always open sea days.

Crow's Nest shrinkage for the EXC and library removal, I've heard about but now have a better picture of extent. Librarian was removed only a few years ago.

No experience with HAL lounge life but I've heard the afternoon canapés have never been good.

Reinforces my view to pay bare minimum for a mass-market cruise (not that I've ever paid more than $90 pp pd inc HSC.). Not sure I want to do a TPAC repo now.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Thanks for the details. Looks like continuing cutbacks (to be fair among most if not all mass market lines) - to boost earnings - are more apparent. Crewing is at a bare minimum so they work at least 10-12 hrs per day pretty much ever day for their contract, even when not deathly ill. I'm surprised with lunch closure of the dining room. In my (much more) limited experience, it's only closed on some (very few) port days - only 1 every 2 weeks - and always open sea days.

Crow's Nest shrinkage for the EXC and library removal, I've heard about but now have a better picture of extent. Librarian was removed only a few years ago.

No experience with HAL lounge life but I've heard the afternoon canapés have never been good.

Reinforces my view to pay bare minimum for a mass-market cruise (not that I've ever paid more than $90 pp pd inc HSC.). Not sure I want to do a TPAC repo now.
i did TPAC April 2018 on volendam Yokohama to Vancouver and LOVED it. Smaller ship, well run, great classical music duo. Was strongly considering TPAC for this May but wont do it on Westerdam. I think that’s the only HAL ship doing TPAC but will research more when I get home. I think Cunard Queen Victoria doing it around same time as well as sebourne which had a low 25% upcharge for single cabins. Also perhaps celebrity millennium which I think just went through refurbishment. HAL has been my preferred line for last 1-2 years but I was so disappointed with this past cruise that I’m now again open to other options. Particularly if they still offer CNBC to keep up on financial news.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i did TPAC April 2018 on volendam Yokohama to Vancouver and LOVED it. Smaller ship, well run, great classical music duo. Was strongly considering TPAC for this May but wont do it on Westerdam. I think that’s the only HAL ship doing TPAC but will research more when I get home. I think Cunard Queen Victoria doing it around same time as well as sebourne which had a low 25% upcharge for single cabins. Also perhaps celebrity millennium which I think just went through refurbishment. HAL has been my preferred line for last 1-2 years but I was so disappointed with this past cruise that I’m now again open to other options. Particularly if they still offer CNBC to keep up on financial news.
There's a plethora of ships doing the (north Pacific) TPAC (Japan-Vancouver) leaving mostly within an approximate 2 week window this season (late April-early May)..Not only Seabourn Sojourn, Westerdam (only 1 HAL ship does this per season recently, it seems), Cunard QE and Celebrity Millennium but also Seven Seas Mariner, Viking Orion, Norwegian Jewel, Windstar Star Legend, Crystal Symphony that I can see. Biggest migration on this route that I've noticed (not that I want to pay the asking price for many of them).

As far as Celebrity Millennium refurbs, it looks like it's good only if you're in a suite and not so much if in lower categories (crammed in at least 32 extra cabins). Good thing is that this season's repo (in just over 2 months) appears very underbooked (one can get it for as low as ~USD 535 for an inside), partly because it now stops in Russia.

I've only sailed HAL's smaller ships, Zaandam and Prinsendam. If I hadn't already paid for other travel plans, I'd take the Westerdam one as a balcony GTY is going for ~CAD 1,200 pp inc taxes/fees. Much cheaper than a BC flight home.

If you can substitute supposedly free and unlimited internet access for CNBC, Ponant may be worth considering. There's a repo from East Asia to Alaska to Vancouver in the summer. However, daily pp rate for that is probably a lot, lot higher than the <USD200 I'm paying for a cruise ont he same next month (now incluidng the free and unlimited internet, drinks and HSC).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:08 am

On Prinsendam right now. Cam confirm that CNBC has been available every day for last 2 weeks.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigbuy
On Prinsendam right now. Cam confirm that CNBC has been available every day for last 2 weeks.
Could well be because the ship is leaving the fleet mid year. Maybe HAL figures removing CNBC will cost more than it'd save.

Enjoyed our TATL on the Prinsendam in 2012, even if it was right at the tail end of the U.S. elections that year and with a whole bunch of old fogeys..
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Just go off the Eurodam after 28 days.

TV channels included MSNBC, BBC, FOX, Travel, 2 ESPN and one I forgot, but was new to me (I will include it with my trip report). Once in awhile we got some stock "averages" quotes on FOX. The daily When and Where includes some data as well. Lots of other programs were available. Movies and documentaries.

Serious stock data would likely requiring one to pay for expensive an iffy wifi from the ship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.