Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 4:12 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The Crystal Symphony will do a Pacific crossing in 2017:

http://www.crystalcruises.com/Calendar.aspx?y=2017
Old May 18, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Hi, thinking along the same lines. Can you please elaborate on this cruise ? PM if Nesc. Please.
I don't actually have a cruise in mind for that trip, as my finances won't allow it until 2018-19 at least, but it would be something like this one: http://www.crystalcruises.com/antarc...lparaiso--6203

I already have a deposit down on my 2017 Tokyo to LA voyage, and if I do a cruise in 2016, it will have to be a more modestly-priced one, likely a transatlantic.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
I don't actually have a cruise in mind for that trip, as my finances won't allow it until 2018-19 at least, but it would be something like this one: http://www.crystalcruises.com/antarc...lparaiso--6203

I already have a deposit down on my 2017 Tokyo to LA voyage, and if I do a cruise in 2016, it will have to be a more modestly-priced one, likely a transatlantic.
Thanks. The two Repositioning cruises you mentions are good value IF you are repositioning. The TransPacific are not worth it unless you compare the expense tp a Business Class air.

Crystal is one of the top of the line. we are not into wines and fancy foods so after one voyage we gave up ! I have always found the Antartica the most expensive......
Old May 19, 2015, 5:40 pm

Thanks. The two Repositioning cruises you mentions are good value IF you are repositioning. The TransPacific are not worth it unless you compare the expense tp a Business Class air.

Crystal is one of the top of the line. we are not into wines and fancy foods so after one voyage we gave up ! I have always found the Antartica the most expensive......
Oh, it's worth it if what you want can't be had by air! What I want are the days at sea, in the middle of nowhere with nothing but ocean as far as the eye can see.

What I love about Crystal is the calm atmosphere and the all-included feeling of not being asked to pay for something every time I want it. Even though I am only a light drinker (but I do love good food), the atmosphere and experience is worth a lot to me. That, and the fact that they have regularly low single supplements on virtually all cruises.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:50 am

Did Vancouver to Tokyo last Oct in Celebrity Millenium.
Have cruised a lot, Celebrity plat and all that. The standards at Celebrity have gone down a few notches The ports othe way were nothing to speak of...Russia is just a stop for cheap diesel.

TPAC happen OCT NOV and return in April. Check a couple of sites , but get the cruisenline's info first on dates and prices.
Our stop on Silversea was Petropavlosk--Kamchata Peninsula--and it was far from a "diesel" fuel stop. It has 42 volcanoes in the area and the worlds largest brown bear population--it was a very interesting stop and a nice city. The peninsula is noted for being one of the worlds best fly fishing destinations. That and Hakodate in Japan were our favorite stops on the trans-Pacific.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Well, looks like I will be doing a TPAC and a Europe-Asia "cruise".

Starting to book for Malta - Port Kelang (Malaysia) non-stop on a CMA-CGM ship later this year and then Hong Kong to Long Beach early next....
Old May 27, 2015, 10:36 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Well, looks like I will be doing a TPAC and a Europe-Asia "cruise".

Starting to book for Malta - Port Kelang (Malaysia) non-stop on a CMA-CGM ship later this year and then Hong Kong to Long Beach early next....
Cool. Looking forward to your TRs.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Cool. Looking forward to your TRs.
Me too. Please post a link to your TR in this thread when in progress or completed.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Feel free to shoot any questions re: freighter travel in the mean time and I'll share what I know.

Booking directly with CGM-CMA in Marseille. Be flexible as ship schedules are not fixed.

Looks like it will be the CC Figaro for Malta-Port Klang which has French officers (good meals with wine served at lunch and dinner). CC Centaurus for Hong Kong to Long Beach and don't know what the nationality of the ship officers is.

One thing to watch for is that access to the ship is by gangway to the main deck and that's a lot of steps on any container ship. No holes in the hull for sure. Hopefully a sailor or the steward will help you with your bags but don't count on it.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Thanks all,

Just got off the phone with CMA CGM. I've got an initial reservation from Shanghai to Oakland in May 2017, so it's going to be "the other way round". They will apparently confirm the exact dates about 90 days out but they say it will be within a four-day window. The berth is apparently booked at each end but the exact ship has yet to be confirmed. Still an excuse to spend a week or so in California in May - a hard life!

For those considering this type of travel, the people at CMA CGM are very friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

Now I can start booking the other pieces of the jigsaw and loading up the Kindle.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and the help.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FatnLoud
Thanks all,

Just got off the phone with CMA CGM. I've got an initial reservation from Shanghai to Oakland in May 2017,
Excellent choice. FWIW, CMA CGM serves complimentary wine at lunch and dinner (Chateau Paquebot - I kid you not about the name).

Can't figure out what route you're on as there are no CMA CGM-managed/flagged ships running between the two unless it will be a new route.

Did you book with Mme Beaumont?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Excellent choice. FWIW, CMA CGM serves complimentary wine at lunch and dinner (Chateau Paquebot - I kid you not about the name).

Can't figure out what route you're on as there are no CMA CGM-managed/flagged ships running between the two unless it will be a new route.

Did you book with Mme Beaumont?
I'm guessing it may be a new route (given their vagueness on the vessel serving the route). They did day there was a possibility it may be rerouted to Vancouver - TBH as long as it gets me to North America I'm fine.

The lady I spoke to was called Caroline, don't remember a surname.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can read (or at least willing to translate) French, here's a blog from a woman who sailed from Le Havre to the Antipodes and back.

http://voyages-madeleine-guillou.ove...109535510.html

Advice on packing list (geared for a woman but probably as applicable to a man).

http://www.mer-et-voyages.info/voyag...t=0024#comment
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So here's a reason to keep on top of freighter cruises.

I've been following the ship I was supposed to sail on between Malta and Malaysia. On the last rotation (120 day length) between east coast NAm and Asia, the Figaro went from Savannah to Port Klang directly around the Cape of Good Hope and avoiding Malta and the Suez canal completely.

Went a few weeks without inquiring (vacation season on France) and then read this on Bloomberg last week. All makes sense. Extra ~4,000 km cheaper than the Suez transit. Went to check the position of all the other ships sailing the Columbus Loop and every ship between Savannah and Port Klang are all going around the Cape of Good Hope.

So wrote Marseille, find out sailing is cancelled and have been offered a longer (and thus more expensive) alternative and now a need for an Omani visa.....
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
We just booked staterooms on the Celebrity Millenium departing Tokyo (Yokohama) on May 7, 2017 and ending in Vancouver, B.C. on May 21st. There are three ports in Japan, one in Kamchatka and then across the Bering Sea to Vancouver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.