Reload this Page >

Booking Flight the day of Cruise departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Flight the day of Cruise departure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Leave 1 day early, enjoy the departing port - free shuttle to cruise ship. Buy trip insurance. Enjoy.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Nanook
Some lines don't let you board earlier than the stated boarding time, and if you try, so do a hundred others. You're there, but waiting in a long slow moving line. We've tried this many times in the past, we now try to get to check-in about 3 hours after boarding starts. Still a line, but goes more quickly.
I have discovered an interesting part of that was my last cruise, my first from Barcelona, I arrived later than I normally do for cruises. I think it was about 1PM
Traffic to the port was a mess and the taxi meter just clicked on and on due to the time waiting in traffic. Around 230, while eating lunch in the buffet, I noticed there was hardly any traffic at all at the port. So, I am not heading for the port until after 2 this Sunday. The cruise sails at 6, so I believe the deadline is 4.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by cargo13
Trip insurance for short cruise is likely really minimal and always worth it for peace of mind: http://www.cruisedeals.com/clients/travel_insurance.asp

Another type of bag insurance that our TA (Jennifer at All Aboard Travel) recommended is ony $5 per checked bag and guarantees a check for the full bag replacement value within 48hrs of luggage missing is something called blue ribbon bag insurance.

It was well worth it for a recent Europe flight where 1 of our luggage pieces did not make it to our river cruise departure same day, so we had a check in 48hrs via express mail and were able to buy clothing for the bad weather.
I don't entirely understand your post. Buying trip insurance won't somehow magically prevent your flight to the embarkation point from being delayed!!! Sure, insurance may compensate you monetarily for certain things but ideally, you want to be on time for embarkation, and even if you can catch up to your ship on a later day at a different port, you may or may not be allowed to embark there (as mentioned by some other posters on this thread). Of course, for cruises I purchase trip insurance anyhow. But I also make sure I am in port a day before sailing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.