FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   Booking Flight the day of Cruise departure (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/1592516-booking-flight-day-cruise-departure.html)

LadyPhoenix Jul 8, 2014 10:26 am

Booking Flight the day of Cruise departure

We are considering taking either a 3 or 4 day cruise in June 2015 to the Bahamas. We live in Toledo, Ohio and our Floridian departure port would either be Miami or Port Canaveral. A non-stop flight from DTW to either of those ports is 3 hours long, one-way. What are your thoughts/feedback on:

1. Booking the roundtrip flight on our own versus the cruise line doing it for us?

2. If we booked on our own, flying down the morning of cruise departure as long as we caught the 1st flight of the day before 9am EST?

fozziedoggie Jul 8, 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix (Post 23162872)
We are considering taking either a 3 or 4 day cruise in June 2015 to the Bahamas. We live in Toledo, Ohio and our Floridian departure port would either be Miami or Port Canaveral. A non-stop flight from DTW to either of those ports is 3 hours long, one-way. What are your thoughts/feedback on:

1. Booking the roundtrip flight on our own versus the cruise line doing it for us?

2. If we booked on our own, flying down the morning of cruise departure as long as we caught the 1st flight of the day before 9am EST?

My advice, book your own flight and go the day before, enjoy Miami or PC area, then make your way to the cruise ship in the morning. You can board early and lounge around while waiting for the others to board. Cruise ships usually serve food prior to departure, so go and relax.

Too many horror stories of people trying to arrive the morning of, only to have their flights delayed/cancelled or diverted.

You may want to look over these links:
http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/tier2.cfm?ID=6

LadyPhoenix Jul 8, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks, fozzie, for those links!

Letitride3c Jul 8, 2014 11:58 am

Not recommended - unless you like to gamble with your flights and missing the short duration cruise by missing the embarkation. Hurricane season & summer storms are unpredictable & known to disrupt flights, even if aircraft doesn't go MX.

If you don't care to sightsee, book a flight into MIA the day before and stay near the airport hotel with free shuttle, then checkout the next morning & board the ship early (often as early as 11 or 11:30 AM - lunch is included & part of your cruise package, and start the pampering early instead of biting nails) Use points if you have them or else hotwire/priceline for a hotel deal, especially if there's only 2 of you - a clean bed, shower & good night sleep for a busy vacation ahead ;)

Cross pack your items in case clothing items get lost if checking luggage but many good FT's that cruise travel light with carry-ons only.

As for PC, one-way taxi fare from MCO is $100+ and tips, just FYI. Better and more deals out of MIA - we are platinum cruisers & we know.

Often1 Jul 8, 2014 12:50 pm

If you are on your own ticket and "misconnect", you either miss your cruise or buy seats to the cruise's first stop out of your own pocket and at walk-up prices.

If money is tight, there are some suggestions above. If you can splurge a bit, stay somewhere really nice at whichever Florida port you choose and have a car service drop you.

LadyPhoenix Jul 8, 2014 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c (Post 23163479)
Not recommended - unless you like to gamble with your flights and missing the short duration cruise by missing the embarkation. Hurricane season & summer storms are unpredictable & known to disrupt flights, even if aircraft doesn't go MX.

If you don't care to sightsee, book a flight into MIA the day before and stay near the airport hotel with free shuttle, then checkout the next morning & board the ship early (often as early as 11 or 11:30 AM - lunch is included & part of your cruise package, and start the pampering early instead of biting nails) Use points if you have them or else hotwire/priceline for a hotel deal, especially if there's only 2 of you - a clean bed, shower & good night sleep for a busy vacation ahead ;)

Cross pack your items in case clothing items get lost if checking luggage but many good FT's that cruise travel light with carry-ons only.

As for PC, one-way taxi fare from MCO is $100+ and tips, just FYI. Better and more deals out of MIA - we are platinum cruisers & we know.

I would VERY much like all 3 us to bring carry-on luggage only, no check-ins. Problem is my husband has sleep apnea and his BiPAP machine would be his carry-on...or could it be his personal item?

wrp96 Jul 8, 2014 1:46 pm

I cannot stress enough flying in day ahead and NOT using the cruise air.

An example from a previous cruise, group of people going from ATL to TPA day of cruise. 1 hour non-stop flight, arriving in TPA by 10am. Should be fine right? Airline had a computer issue, no flights going anywhere. They made the cruise only because sailing was delayed due to an issue. Unlike airplanes, cruise sailings are rarely delayed so they got very lucky.

ak333 Jul 8, 2014 2:01 pm

I agree with everybody who says to fly in the day before; that's the same advice that I give to my clients.

However, if you absolutely have to fly in the day of sailing, book the first flight of the day, even if it is at 500AM, AND make sure there is a back up flight that still gets in well before sailing. A non-stop is best, so if you can drive to DTW, great. Since we are talking June, snow won't be an issue, but thunderstorms sure can put a crimp into your plans.

Letitride3c Jul 8, 2014 2:59 pm

US carriers, especially flying domestic, generally exempt and do not count medical equipment as your carry-on. Check with your airline/carrier and their online sites for specific rules, always helpful to print & take a copy along as gate/ground agents are often clueless :rolleyes:

Flying to/from/thru London & Canada could be issues but you should be fine - portable Cpap and BiPap machines should be exempt, make it your personal item. Ask for ground supervisor if necessary. Depending on the type of aircraft or equipment being flown, storage space could be challenged on a ERJ or CRJ and forcing it to be gate-checked.

On cruisecritic forum, almost all reported no problems flying with CPAP as extra carry-on since it's a piece of medical equipment.

HMPS Jul 8, 2014 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c (Post 23164660)
US carriers, especially flying domestic, generally exempt and do not count medical equipment as your carry-on. Check with your airline/carrier and their online sites for specific rules, always helpful to print & take a copy along as gate/ground agents are often clueless :rolleyes:

Flying to/from/thru London & Canada could be issues but you should be fine - portable Cpap and BiPap machines should be exempt, make it your personal item. Ask for ground supervisor if necessary. Depending on the type of aircraft or equipment being flown, storage space could be challenged on a ERJ or CRJ and forcing it to be gate-checked.

On cruisecritic forum, almost all reported no problems flying with CPAP as extra carry-on since it's a piece of medical equipment.

I will echo that.
Re arrival day, there are a lot of Choice Hotels etc around. Try to find one that has a shuttle service to and fro from the airport and to the cruise port. If you want to rent a car seeif you can find an Enterprise that will pick up and drop off. Ideal would be rent at place X and return to port.

Kagehitokiri Jul 9, 2014 12:24 am

it depends on how many airports/flights are available as 'backups'

from - DTW / TOL / CLE / CMH / DAY / FWA / IND / MBS / PIT
there are nonstop flights available
then there could flights with stop(s) as backups

Doc Savage Jul 9, 2014 12:43 am

Go the day before. You will find it more relaxing, and there is always a chance the flight will have problems. Get a hotel near the port.

I would have missed a cruise out of St. Maarten had I not planned to come in a day early. UselesS Air had their inevitable connection problems, I missed the only flight of the day out of CLT and had to spend the day there.

Mel Grant Jul 9, 2014 3:41 am

Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix (Post 23162872)

I have met too many people who missed the cruise if they were flying in the morning of departure! We always fly in one day early for this reason.

LadyPhoenix Jul 9, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks to all! We decided it would be best to take the 1st morning DTW flight to MIA the day before and stay at a Courtyard Hotel adjacent to the airport.

wrp96 Jul 9, 2014 7:38 pm

Good idea - you get an extra day of vacation.