Bringing Alcohol on a Cruise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing Alcohol on a Cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by biker4life44
Just put what in your luggage? Do you use things to help it get through x-ray, or do you just throw the alcohol in the way it comes in a bottle?
Just put the bottles in your luggage that you leave for the curbside staff to deliver to your stateroom. No need to pour it into Listerine bottles (don't do it, ruins the taste and you'll end up dumping it all) or water bottles. I don't think think the check in baggage screeners care about the alcohol policy.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by biker4life44
Just put what in your luggage? Do you use things to help it get through x-ray, or do you just throw the alcohol in the way it comes in a bottle?
We have always just put it in our luggage in the original containers. My major concern is more about a glass bottle breaking than getting it screened out. Also, the mini-fridges can really be small! For wine, we get the boxes instead of bottles, which are less prone to breading, keep better after opening, and fit better in the fridge.

I probably wouldn't risk bringing a glass bottle of brown liquor or red wine personally.

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
1> Why do folks presume the bootlegged goods can only arrive at initial disembarkation;

2> Anyone have a method for circumventing the Celebrity screening for portable irons?
Taking these in reverse order -- portable irons are a major fire hazard, and you should not bring them on board a ship! If you need something pressed, the ship staff can do it for you; this is even free after you reach elite status.

Secondly, the port of origin in the only one where there is checked luggage; other ports allow only hand luggage. It is possible to get it past the staff, but much less likely. In my experience the best strategy is to act like Uncle Leo from Seinfeld.

Originally Posted by tanglin
We had it confiscated from checked baggage on Royal Caribbean. We had two bottles, one plastic, one glass, in different cases. The plastic liter made it through, the glass on didn't. We had to go and claim our case and they searched it and took the bottle. They would not return it at the end of the cruise either.
Sorry it didn't work for you, but it sounds as if you cleverly spread the risk around by putting them into two different suitcases, so at least one made it through.

I've taken more than 40 cruises, and the only time I've not been successful was when doing a non-international trip (Pride of America in Hawaii) in which the screeners were just cruise line employees.

Last edited by pawtim; Mar 31, 2014 at 8:47 am
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pawtim
If you need something pressed, the ship staff can do it for you; this is even free after you reach elite status.
I did not know that. j/k
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
2> Anyone have a method for circumventing the Celebrity screening for portable irons?
Taking these in reverse order -- portable irons are a major fire hazard, and you should not bring them on board a ship! If you need something pressed, the ship staff can do it for you; this is even free after you reach elite status.
On Princess, they have irons and boards in the self service laundry rooms.

re: alcohol
when sailing Princess, i usually bring beer and wine, as well as sodas during embarkation. then at various ports replenish sodas and wine. though i did manage sake, several bottles (shaped like wine bottles) on Holland America.

i've had good luck in port at St. Maarten (usually middle of the itinerary) with getting rum and whiskey through the scanners, no smoke and mirrors needed. (hope this doesn't jinx me) we just put them in our day bags/backpacks along with soda and water bottles.

i guess other cruise lines are more restrictive, which if they'd price the alcohol more reasonably, they wouldn't have to "worry" about people trying to smuggle it onboard.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:40 am

We have always just put it in our luggage in the original containers. My major concern is more about a glass bottle breaking than getting it screened out.
Just roll the bottle in your clothes.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blue Skye
On Princess, they have irons and boards in the self service laundry rooms.

i've had good luck in port at St. Maarten (usually middle of the itinerary) with getting rum and whiskey through the scanners, no smoke and mirrors needed. (hope this doesn't jinx me) we just put them in our day bags/backpacks along with soda and water bottles.
no worries...
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:44 pm

Carnival

Bottom Line: We had no issues. YMMV.*

Carnival April / May 2013: We used several methods.

#1 Sprite bottle filled with Vodka / Clear Run.
#2 Empty mouthwash filled with spiced rum.
#3 Rum-runner filled with alcohol.
#4 Glass Whiskey bottle full of whiskey (Friend who we hadn't shared our internet research with)

All alcohol was left in our checked suitcases (Yes even the other friend forgot the rum-runner in his suitcase. Security called him to come see him. Asked him if he brought any scissors. Moved the rum-runner out the way to verify it actually was scissors in suitcase, Closed suitcase and gave us bag to take to room)

I.e. This is purely a time vs risk vs $ decision. What method you choose if at all will depend on your priorities.

I'm sure this varies by cruise line / if this becomes a problem or people make it too apparent they are sneaking it in / not purchasing anything they might crack down more. Just keep in mind YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED to bring your own alcohol and everything will be fine.

As far as I know any taken alcohol is returned at the end of the cruise. Someone else can verify if that is even true for open bottles. (We never had anything taken). Also remember most cruise lines allow one 750 ML bottle of wine! (A fee is charged to drink in dining room. For Carnival we drank in our hotel room)
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:02 pm

I did not know that. j/k
With status, free unlimited dry cleaning, too! Some people literally bring extra clothes with them just to get the free dry cleaning; sort of makes sense if you're driving to the port (as opposed to lugging luggage on an airplane).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:14 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by startbyservingothers
As far as I know any taken alcohol is returned at the end of the cruise. Someone else can verify if that is even true for open bottles. (We never had anything taken). Also remember most cruise lines allow one 750 ML bottle of wine! (A fee is charged to drink in dining room. For Carnival we drank in our hotel room)
I'm pretty sure they won't return open bottles, but I've never experienced it personally.

A fee is charged to *pour* the wine in the dining room. Have a drink in your own room, or pour a glass for each of you in your own room, then go to the dining room and bring it with you. Many people buy a drink in one of the lounges before heading in to a meal, so quite a few people walk into the dining room with a glass of wine in their hands. If you want to be extra sneaky, pick up a couple of cocktail napkins that are on the top of every bar and make it seem even more as if you were served that glass of wine you're carrying.

On the first day of the cruise, when your cabin steward comes to introduce himself tell him you need a couple wine glasses and that you would like him to replace the wineglasses in the cabin every day. (So you leave your empty on at the dining room.)

Ah, important strategies!

Slightly OT, but while you're not allowed to bring "liquids" through airport security, you are allowed to mix up a fairly weak cocktail at home the day before, freeze it solid, and bring the frozen one through. It's a "solid" not a "liquid".
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:40 am

FREE DRINK PACKAGE on Celebrity----CruiseDeals

Gosh, so many creative ways to smuggle alcohol onto cruise.
For you big drinkers, this CruiseDeals website is offering FREE DRINK PACKAGES on Celebrity:

http://cruisedeals.com/ships/celebri...ty_free_drinks

I find that CruiseDeals.com Facebook page always posts deals in advance: https://www.facebook.com/cruisedeals
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
A fee is charged to *pour* the wine in the dining room.
On Princess, you get charged just for carrying on a second (or third...) bottle of wine.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by flyerhog
1. Get Listerine.
2. Empty contents.
3. Refill with hard liquor of your choice.
4. Win!!
All that effort to save $25 bucks????
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
All that effort to save $25 bucks????
Some cruise lines sell bottles, but the mark-up over retail is a lot more than $25. And if you use your smuggled booze to replace mixed drinks purchased at the bar, the savings could be quite significant.

Sure it is a bit of work, tacky, and against ship policy, but the savings can be worth it for some.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:01 pm

I went to the Duty free shops in port and got a 375ml bottle and put it in my pocket. Went to the ship which was right across the street. Did it about 3 times. I wished I just put it in my checked bag...
Old May 2, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by skibum7732
You are typically allowed so many water bottles per person as well and you can buy new caps online that when you screw them on the water bottles they will have the perforation intact and appear unopened. Must be a clear liquor of course. I have never done this on a cruise, but I will if we ever take one. I have used them to take vodka into concerts before though
And the booze doesn't soak up some of that plastic, which probably isn't meant for storing alcohol?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.