Search

Costa Concordia Sinks!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
Starting to see the financial impact.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16573283

That doesn't seem to tell all the story

I can't believe anyone from the shipping company can remotely contemplate getting the vessel back up again and restored to service from this position.
Actually, I think they do plan to get the ship back in service. Over on Cruise Critic, a poster is the brother-in-law of the senior salvage master with Titan Salvage, who was on site Saturday. He posted that his b-i-l says it's not as bad as it looks on TV, and that given a few months, and over a hundred million dollars, they should have the ship up and ready to be moved to wherever Carnival plans to refit it (likely the same Italian yard that built the ship a few years ago. Of course, that was after his first assessment, and since rescue efforts are still underway, things are quite subject to change on that.

They do have a $30 million insurance deductible on the ship, but who knows if the salvage is part of that, or just the refit. I think the $85-95 million they are talking about is just loss of use of the ship for the remainder of this fiscal year, ending Nov 30, but doesn't include the impact this will have on people deciding not to cruise, especially in Europe and especially on Costa.

The share price is down around it's 52 week low this morning, which makes a nice buying opportunity, especially for people who cruise the Carnival brands frequently and want to take advantage of the shareholder benefit.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I am sure they will fix it up again.

I would also guess that it would be assigned to another line, I think Italians are way too superstitious to get back on it (after all when it was christened, the champagne bottle did not break, so the ship was doomed according to my in laws)

Then again, given that the entire crew pretty much was no where to be found according to many of the passenger reports I don't know why anybody would book Costa, but that's another issue

One would hope the cruise lines put in monitors to see where their ships are, and when they go off course. Supposedly there would have been alarms in the bridge when it went off course, those should be transmitted to operations so they can be involved earlier and not leave all the decision making to one person whose competence is most certainly questionable.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: BA
You can't fix that up.

Look at the Herald of Free Enterprise, just capsized onto sand, didn't strike anything or do structural damage, yet that was scrapped, and when righted and being towed to the breakers yard the structure nearly broke up.

This one has a ripped hull down one side, goodness knows (yet) what damage on the other side, which is laying on rocks, and all the internals and fitout, propulsion machinery, etc ruined by saltwater. Plus nobody will want to buy it. I hear there's a more active sea moving in to the area which will roll it around over the rocks, the end for any ship's structure.

I think Italians are way too superstitious to get back on it (after all when it was christened, the champagne bottle did not break, so the ship was doomed according to my in laws)
It was always standard procedure for the champagne bottle to be taken into the shipyard workshops, put in a vice, and have the bottom filed down to a tiny thickness to ensure it would break when it hit. Perhaps nowadays with all-automated shipyards nobody is left with the hand skills to do this any more !

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 16, 2012 at 8:35 am
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The ship costs $600M and was in service for only 5 years, so of course it'll be repaired.

And likely renamed, because I doubt they'll want the name Costa Concordia repeated after recommissioning.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by cordelli
I would also guess that it would be assigned to another line, I think Italians are way too superstitious to get back on it (after all when it was christened, the champagne bottle did not break, so the ship was doomed according to my in laws)
Yes, and the accident happened on Friday, the 13th.
Then again, given that the entire crew pretty much was no where to be found according to many of the passenger reports I don't know why anybody would book Costa, but that's another issue
All cruise lines seem to nowadays have the same kind of international setup with their crew, only some of the officers and maybe machinists may have a kind of confidant status with the ship owners.
One would hope the cruise lines put in monitors to see where their ships are, and when they go off course. Supposedly there would have been alarms in the bridge when it went off course, those should be transmitted to operations so they can be involved earlier and not leave all the decision making to one person whose competence is most certainly questionable.
All cruise ships have this and you can see their positions also on the internet, even on Costa's ship home pages. E.g you can see Costa Atlantica's position, speed and heading here.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:56 am

Well the guy from Lloyds insurance (probably knows more than all of us here added together) says it's pretty certainly a total loss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16584075
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I'd say anybody who isn't actually on site is just making a WAG (wild-assed guess) as to whether Concordia will be repaired or scrapped.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:41 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
Well the guy from Lloyds insurance (probably knows more than all of us here added together) says it's pretty certainly a total loss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16584075
He's actually from Lloyd's List, a publication formerly--but not currently--owned by Lloyd's of London.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's too early to tell what they will do with it, nobody can say until they get a detailed look. The primary concern from that I've read over the next two weeks will be to get all the fluids off the ship before they ruin the ocean there.

One story said it's totally possible they can weld giant plates over the hole, pump out the water, and tow it away. In the same story it also said they may bring in a bunch of people with torches and cut it into little pieces and haul it off for salvage.

I'm betting they will repair it, but it's a total guess.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:44 pm

Partial transcript of today's news conference with Pier Luigi Foschi, chairman and chief executive officer of Costa Crociere, parent company of Costa Cruises:

http://cruiseradio.net/costa-concord...ce-transcript/
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm at a complete loss for how this could happen! With all the sophisticated navigational equipment, really, how? Absolutely horrifying.
The Titanic was also "sophisticated" for its time. It still sank. And so will many more cruise ships as long as people have the final say.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT
A co-worker mentioned to me today that a friend of his had just recently started a new job as a crew member on the Concordia. They have been in touch since the accident so the friend did get off the boat safely.

Small world.....
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:15 pm

One story said it's totally possible they can weld giant plates over the hole, pump out the water, and tow it away. In the same story it also said they may bring in a bunch of people with torches and cut it into little pieces and haul it off for salvage.

I'm betting they will repair it, but it's a total guess.
Providing there aren't a lot of breaches on the side resting on the seabed, then they at least have easy access to cover the holes. My biggest question is for them to pump the water out, how do they stop water from just flowing in from the top of the ship? The bottom and sides of the ship are watertight, but not from the top down. The water just runs down the elevator shafts and stairwells and into the bottom of the ship.

Thinking back to cheesy movies of my youth, like Airport 70-something and Raise The Titanic, I wonder if they can put big balloons under the starboard side of the ship, inflate those and tilt the ship back up on it's keel, allowing the water to settle into the lower levels of the ship, where it can then be pumped out. I'm positive there is going to be a documetary on this, and I can't wait to see it.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by DanJ
Thinking back to cheesy movies of my youth, like Airport 70-something and Raise The Titanic, I wonder if they can put big balloons under the starboard side of the ship, inflate those and tilt the ship back up on it's keel, allowing the water to settle into the lower levels of the ship, where it can then be pumped out. I'm positive there is going to be a documetary on this, and I can't wait to see it.
Looks like what they are looking at according to the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16573312
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by dodo
Looks like what they are looking at according to the BBC
This is how such salvage has been done for the last 100 years, with big air pumps on barges alongside. Developed to raise WW1 wrecks. But doesn't spring up to the surface like in Hollywood - takes months. Will need to cut off anything they can, like upper decks to minimise weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.