Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Concordia Sinks!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The more you read, the more the stories I've heard about Costa over the years make more and more sense.

From ft.com

Still prosecutors also want to know why the captain only issued an SOS and evacuation order about one hour after first hitting the submerged rocks that tore a 70 metre gash in the side of the hull, and how the port captain on Giglio was first alerted to the nature of the disaster by passengers using their mobile telephones while the captain had reported only an electrical fault.

Though they do give the Captain much credit for bringing it closer to shore so that it did not go under where it was.

One can only hope they can review the security cameras and the rest and learn from this so it can't possibly happen again.

It's amazing that the first the port captain heard about it was from passengers.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The speculation that the captain was more concerned about potential losses to his employer than the safety of his passengers appear a compelling case to me.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:08 pm

Costa Cruises apparently issued a new statement pretty much blaming the captain. Their web server is currently "too busy" so I can't read it.

Edit- The statement is now available and here is the relevant excerpt:

"We are working with investigators to find out precisely what went wrong aboard the Costa Concordia. While the investigation is ongoing, preliminary indications are that there may have been significant human error on the part of the ship’s Master, Captain Francesco Schettino, which resulted in these grave consequences. The route of the vessel appears to have been too close to the shore, and the Captain’s judgment in handling the emergency appears to have not followed standard Costa procedures."

Last edited by Bobster; Jan 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:34 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:38 pm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Here is a little bit longer version:
We are working with investigators to find out precisely what went wrong aboard the Costa Concordia. While the investigation is ongoing, preliminary indications are that there may have been significant human error on the part of the ship’s Master, Captain Francesco Schettino, which resulted in these grave consequences. The route of the vessel appears to have been too close to the shore, and the Captain’s judgment in handling the emergency appears to have not followed standard Costa procedures. We are aware that the lead Prosecutor has levelled serious accusations against the ship’s Captain, who joined Costa Crociere in 2002 as a Safety Officer and was appointed Captain in 2006, after acting as Staff Captain as well. As all Costa Masters, he has been constantly trained passing all tests. In light of these accusations and the continuing investigation, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From the AP

Meanwhile, attention focused on the captain, who was spotted by Coast Guard officials and passengers fleeing the scene even as the chaotic and terrifying evacuation was under way......

According to the Italian navigation code, a captain who abandons a ship in danger can face up to 12 years in prison.......

Coast Guard officers later spotted Schettino on land as the evacuation unfolded. The officers urged him to return to his ship and honor his duty to stay aboard until everyone was safely off the vessel, but he ignored them, Coast Guard Cmdr. Francesco Paolillo said.

It's interesting now that there are Americans returning home for the press to interview it's the third story on the news tonight
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
What a terrifying situation for everyone involved.
I feel it is lucky( can i say that word in this situation) it happened at dinner and not the middle of the night .
more lives would have been lost.

When I go on cruises I feel I am very safe
I wont feel that anymore.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:47 pm

After a few hours they got to the point where helicopters and divers were completing the evacuation, and as I understand it that's about when the captain left (the details are missing or contradictory), so what exactly could the captain even have done at that point when the rescue workers were fully in charge?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
What would Sully do?

Originally Posted by Bobster
After a few hours they got to the point where helicopters and divers were completing the evacuation, and as I understand it that's about when the captain left (the details are missing or contradictory), so what exactly could the captain even have done at that point when the rescue workers were fully in charge?
When his plane went down in (on) the Hudson he stayed on board until all passengers had been taken off, then he walked through the plane, TWICE, to check if anyone was left on board. Only then did he abandon the aircraft.

Captain Schettino may have been absent the day the covered this in training.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by Fontaine
CNN is showing reruns. Reportedly there were 140 Americans on that ship. There were no Americans in the Chile mine and the Today show was there. Sorry, just frustrated at the lack of coverage. A honeymooning couple was reportedly just rescued from the ship.
If it bleeds, it leads... If it sinks, it stinks.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Another (sixth) victim found inside the ship.

I suppose at least 14 people are still missing.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: BA
"Costa Concordia sinking could cost Carnival $95m"

Starting to see the financial impact.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16573283

That doesn't seem to tell all the story

"The vessel is expected to be out of service for the remainder of our current fiscal year if not longer," it said in a statement to the London Stock Exchange.
I can't believe anyone from the shipping company can remotely contemplate getting the vessel back up again and restored to service from this position.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Great, so the captain (allegedly) abandoned ship and his employer starts blaming him in public statements 48 hours later.

Thank goodness they're not behaving according to crude national stereotypes
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Thank goodness they're not behaving according to crude national stereotypes
See the comments on the WSJ.com story. Italians are protesting that "these officers are not Italians, they are Neapolitans." Acting more like the "Jersey Shore" cast than professionals. Not to speak of the 60 Russian babes on board. Looks like "Da Situation" got a little distracted.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:34 am

"Sail-by" ??

I've read 2 more news reports that seem to be looking more into this.

There is even a youtube video of ship supposedly one of the Costa's, doing this exact thing....

Its dark, but with good forensics, one should be able to determine, the ship, location, and distance from shore.

http://video.corriere.it/nave-concor...2-5f77182bc574

A quote from a perceptive person on cruisecritic.com

"I think the strange and disconcerting factor for me is that Costa has a ship running this itinerary on a regular basis. I can't remember the number of the post on this thread but there was something about a "Sentimental Sail Bye" for the people on the island of Giglio. Evidently there is a previous Costa Captain living on that island which also serves as a "heart" for many of the Italian crew/officers."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.