Wiki Posts
Search

Civitavecchia transfer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Civitavecchia transfer

Anyone have a preferred transfer agent from FCO (or Rome proper) to the port? 4 people, so cruise line transfers are way too high
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
that has been discussed in this forum iirc....look thru the pages or search....good luck

edit to add...i can't find it.....also, it was over 10 years ago when we were at ephesus, so i'm not up on the details....the port was fine the 1st 2 stops but got old on the 3rd....its worth seeing...

Last edited by clacko; Jan 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I looked and didn't see anything prior to posting.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
How expensive is the cruise line transfer? They're usually not that far out of line with other similar options (e.g. not a limo), and offer the peace-of-mind that they'll take care of you. If you make arrangements on your own then you're, well, on your own!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We had an excellent transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia for our transatlantic crossing on Equinox last year. Three couples were picked up at 3 different transfer points -- one at FCO and the other two at various hotels. The organization was excellent, punctual and a very pleasant experience.

We paid a total of €200 for 6 passengers (€66,66 per couple) + tips of €10 per couple. Very comfortable MB van and enough room for all plus a LOT of luggage!

www.romecabs.com
[email protected]
Stefano Costantini

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the referrals. Cruise line xfers are roughly $70 pp one way and we have 4 people
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta, United, HAL Mariners Society-3 star, Travel Century Club Member (102 countries visited)
The only way around the high costs as others have found is to take the train directly from the airport into Rome central station (or a transfer spot before the main station) and then take the train out to Civitavechhia. Fine if you don't have a lot of luggage and have the time. Seems like van sharing is the cheapest but there is a monopoly by the taxi drivers here so there are no bargain rates at all. One other option is to overnight in Civitavecchia at a hotel that has pick-up and drop off services. It looks like it can be a pleasant low key spot to spend a day before your cruise leaves.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbagal
The only way around the high costs as others have found is to take the train directly from the airport into Rome central station (or a transfer spot before the main station) and then take the train out to Civitavechhia. Fine if you don't have a lot of luggage and have the time. Seems like van sharing is the cheapest but there is a monopoly by the taxi drivers here so there are no bargain rates at all. One other option is to overnight in Civitavecchia at a hotel that has pick-up and drop off services. It looks like it can be a pleasant low key spot to spend a day before your cruise leaves.
Thanks. We will probably tack on at least one day before the cruise to explore Rome since the kids have not been (wife and I were there for four days a few years ago), so we'd probably be coming from "downtown" somewhere.

Thought about the train, but there's the whole "hassle factor" with the bags since my wife and daughters are already groaning that I told them they can only pack a carry on and personal item for two weeks travel (hah)

Just trying to cover the bases in case we do our exploration post cruise
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by geepmaley
Thanks for the referrals. Cruise line xfers are roughly $70 pp one way and we have 4 people
66.66 euro = ~ us 88

after a few near misses, we always go a day early, unless using the cruise air....on 1, our bags arr 3 days into the cruise...also, should you miss the boat, you pay to get to the next port...w/cruise air, the cruise line is on the hook for boat misses...

Last edited by clacko; Jan 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:32 pm

Did Rome to port via train...

DD and I did it via the train, and maybe we're just "sports" but we found it easy... But I have champagne taste on a beer budget, so in order to afford the travel I want, I have to make $$$ concessions in certain areas. Shlepping our bags on trains vs. paying for transfers is one of those areas. It also helps that I (we) travel very light. One bag each, plus a big purse type bag. That was for 16 nights in Europe.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clacko
66.66 euro = ~ us 88
And that's for 2 pax, €33,33 per person - ca. $44 today. Sure better than the $70 pp that the cruise line wants -- with their only pick-up being at FCO on day of cruise, not the hotels in the city.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
I've used Rome Cabs for private door to door transfers to the port and between the port and the airport. They charge 150 euros for a transfer for 4 people to the port, this is much less than the cruise line's transfer and it will take you to where you need to go in Rome, not one of the cruise line's preferred hotels.

As others have mentioned the only other alternative is the train, I've never tried this. I have travelled on X out of Civitavecchia, and knew two people who wanted to join our group for the transfer to the port but they could not as the van was full (we had a group of 7 and the van couldn't accomodate 9 people), they opted to take the train and then had to walk with their luggage in tow to the ship as there were no taxis available at the train stn. The port is fairly large and the train stn is NOT near the port check in area, so take this into consideration.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:30 pm

I always use Rome cabs, for transfers and touring and a few hours of shopping in Rome.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
I found this website to be very helpful, they have everything you want to know about taking the train for cruise ship passengers including lots of photos.

http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Tranfers

My suggestion is that you stick with your carrier or ship letting them have the liability and responsibility, trust me safer.

I agree a bit higher but no hassle. I have found that every time you try to beat the system in Europe something happens.

Good Luck

We are headed back over for two weeks Italy, Paris in May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.