132 CCs and counting

Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
In the last year I've opened and closed 132 CC accounts for myself, my wife and my business. Unfortunately my kid is only 10, but I can't wait til he turns 18 so I can apply for him as well!
I think you're confusing people with the lumping together of cards in your name vs your wife's name vs your business. You may be pooling all the points and miles together or not, I don't know, but as far the banks are concerned, you're two separate people, each with their own inquiry limits, etc.

Would you mind breaking this down into xx in my name, yy in my wife's name, zz in my business name? Thanks.

I'm wondering: How of these cards did you have pay annual fees for?

Also, for others: This was in the past. Keep in mind that Citi limits on inquiries are fairly recent (and they only apply to the last 6 months), so the OP may have applied for many of the Citi cards before that limit went into place and still be "in the last year". So just because the OP did this the past year doesn't mean everyone (who is interested in AA miles more than anything else) can repeat this next year, though.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Very impressive... However, I'd be cautious in this financial environment about having excessive inquires on your credit reports... But hey, you seem to be having good luck, and we all know it's hard to quit while you are ahead
Old Nov 11, 2008, 9:33 am

Wow! How do you do it? That averages 44 cards each for you, your wife, and your business. I currently have nine business and seven personal cards active. My FICO is high 700's to low 800's and I was rejected by Chase and Citi in July for "too many recent credit inquiries". Those applications were under a second corp. that I have that presently has no credit cards at all, and never has. I have 21 inquires evenly spaced from 2/9/2007 to 7/31/2008 and none since on my Experian report. I have only three on Transunion and six on Equifax.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Very impressive, what was your FICO before all this started and what is it now?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do you really have a business or do you put your personal income instead.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the TYP bonuses Citi stopped offering since late 2006

Simplicity card ceased to exist probably for 2 years.

Diamond Preferred 10K bonus was reduced to 6K also happened in 2oo6, and then to 0 bonus shortly thereafter.

Just the 2 most obvious discrepancies I notice in the long list.

I also agree with Post No.16, especially the last paragraph.

Also, it is thread like this kind eventually killed the opportunities with Chase. I would hate to see such bragging would do the same thing for the last few opportunties that remain out there.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 11, 2008 at 5:54 pm
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Very impressive if true. I only churn about 5 cards per year.

The OP lists 13 Starwood AMEX sign-up bonuses (between OP, wife, OP's business) over two years.

I thought there was a "lifetime" limit of 1 Starwood AMEX sign-up bonus per entity. Thus, 1 personal + 1 wife + 1 business in your name + maybe 1 business card account applied in wife's name. That is, I thought it was not possible to churn these. Do I misunderstand the program rules?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:02 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I do not understand the need for so many CCs. I have only 6 and I think I have too many.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:15 am
DH

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
I do not understand the need for so many CCs. I have only 6 and I think I have too many.
The whole point of getting and churning CCs is get rack up the sign up bonuses. Without that incentive why should anyone.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Op can you tell us who sent you the bonus denial letters?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:10 pm

I understand that people want the miles, but I just do not think that it's worth the risk to open and close so many CCs. Moreover, the cards are not free. Is the expense worth it? I do not think so.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:26 pm

I understand that people want the miles, but I just do not think that it's worth the risk to open and close so many CCs. Moreover, the cards are not free. Is the expense worth it? I do not think so.
What risk? If you have a high FICO you may suffer a slight ding, but not enough to cost you anything. Also, most cards are fee free the first year. I only have 16 active cards but with good organization (Quicken and EXCEL)it requires very litttle effort and substantial payoff. YMMV.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:11 pm
DH

Originally Posted by Schutzee
YMMV
+ your conform level.

Open Jaw,

This may not your cup of tea but it help many people to benefit including me with nominal cost.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:02 pm

CCs are great but one always has to keep an eye them. It is very easy to steal someone's identity, and with 132 cards the risk increases even more.

Yes, many cards are free for the first year, but closing an account after a year does not help one's credit score. In fact, many banks will use the large number of CCs against someone when they want a mortgage....

I love my two airline cards (DL AMEX & AA MC) but I would never want to have any more because of the annual fee.

Last edited by Open Jaw; Nov 14, 2008 at 4:11 pm
Old Nov 15, 2008, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love my two airline cards (DL AMEX & AA MC) but I would never want to have any more because of the annual fee.
both have the annual fee waived in the first year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.