World Elite Mastercard

Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Is this for the AA CitiBusiness MC? Or the personal MC?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:51 am

personal. I got it in both my Platinum Lvl Citi AAdvantage MC and my Gold Level. No change on my Citi AmEx card.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:44 am

Also reported in other threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889669
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=883422
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891918
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bernardd
Anyone know what happens if you simply fail to activate it? Can you stick with the original conditions indefinitely?
Citi can deactivate your current card if you don't activate the new one, but I'm not sure they would want to do this as it is a poor customer experience.

Since this is really the same Credit Card there is no difference in the Terms and Conditions just a few extra "benefits" that come with World Elite. These benefits are probably already attached to your account number now whether you activate the new plastic or not.

The reason Citi is doing this is because World Elite gets a higher rate of interchange (the percentage of each transaction they take from the merchant). Between World and World Elite Citi is probably making about an extra 1/2 cent on every dollar.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by maizenblue07
Citi can deactivate your current card if you don't activate the new one, but I'm not sure they would want to do this as it is a poor customer experience.

Since this is really the same Credit Card there is no difference in the Terms and Conditions just a few extra "benefits" that come with World Elite. These benefits are probably already attached to your account number now whether you activate the new plastic or not.

The reason Citi is doing this is because World Elite gets a higher rate of interchange (the percentage of each transaction they take from the merchant). Between World and World Elite Citi is probably making about an extra 1/2 cent on every dollar.
Which makes sense for Citi, but the way they've presented it to card holders makes the suspicious amongst us wonder why on earn this is being done.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:01 pm

When I activated my card, the Citi rep said that the World Elite card gave me access to the Admirals Club among other perqs which she wasn't very clear about. I don't know how true this is because I cannot find anything in writing to corroborate it. Apparently, information about this upgraded card will be sent out shortly. I hope they clear up the mystery of the World Elite card soon.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:26 pm

The Citi PremierPass cards are also being upgraded to World Elite and they supposedly come with priority pass lounge access (I'm guessing it's the basic level as with the Saks card). For that reason the AA World Elite probably does too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868148
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I have been receiving new Priority Pass cards over the last couple of weeks and thought it strange that they are replacing my card which was find. Then I find out that this is going on and check my AAdvantage Cards and sure enough they have replaced them with World Elite. Since I am Chairman and have free Priority Pass I am now concerned that these new cards are actually pay as you go Priority Pass cards. I would be very if that is the case. Now I don't know which cards are tied to the Chairman Card and which ones are not.

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Nov 27, 2008 at 8:12 am Reason: not angry enough
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Just spk to Citi Chairman and yes there is definetly a problem, but they claim they will waive any fees that I get charged as a result of this mess. grrr

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.